• Gaeten Haas

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
I don't think this is a clear cut win for Toronto like most people are saying.

Barrie is a rental, there's no way they can afford his new ~7M contract. They also don't even have the cap space to sign Kerfoot right now...

Kadri's a stud 2C signed for only 4.5M and Rosen is underrated.

Pretty much agree with this. To me, it's a big win now trade. Seems popular in Toronto these days.

Reactions: nabob

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Thanks to that ****ing goof in Ottawa the Leafs now have moved what would have otherwise been an immovable contract and they get a high end puck moving D in his mid twenties. Which they'll have no problem getting under contract once they flip Cody Ceci for only picks at the trade deadline.

Hope you like watching your rivals succeed while you run your poor ass team into the ground.

Yeah I was watching Dorion talk about Zaitsev, about how happy he was to get him. Was kinda funny. I think hes happy that he has a player that has contract term. We should send him Lucic, hes got term left and wont leave Ottawa either.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah Melnyk is just a complete gong show. Like if you don't want to spend money to properly ice a roster, just sell the team. He's about getting the lowest payroll he can get.
That's not on Melnyk--that's Pierre Dorion.

Zaitsev costs Melnyk money.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019

Barrie is a rental, there's no way they can afford his new ~7M contract. They also don't even have the cap space to sign Kerfoot right now...

If the Cap even goes up a mill Barrie is looking at 8+ next summer. Leafs can not afford that.

As you say too they cant even sign Kerfoot and Ceci right now let alone Marner...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah I was watching Dorion talk about Zaitsev, about how happy he was to get him. Was kinda funny. I think hes happy that he has a player that has contract term. We should send him Lucic, hes got term left and wont leave Ottawa either.

Dorion is a sucker straight from the Chiarelli school of GMing. Such an unbelievable idiot.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The 50% retention on Barries salary helps.
That said I like this deal for the Avs...they are going to be a very good team next season.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thanks to that ****ing goof in Ottawa the Leafs now have moved what would have otherwise been an immovable contract and they get a high end puck moving D in his mid twenties. Which they'll have no problem getting under contract once they flip Cody Ceci for only picks at the trade deadline.

Hope you like watching your rivals succeed while you run your poor ass team into the ground.

Leafs are a reasonably well run org the last 5-6 years, making good moves more than once a decade is kind of a thing.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019

I can see Lucic for Ryan three weeks from now for sure checks all the boxes for OTT

Reactions: Mr Sakich

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Pressure is on Holland now he has to see that other teams in tighter spots getting things done. No excuse to not move some combo of Bear JP picks etc. to imrpove the D.

Hope that is he just oout waiting a team like Carolina who was talking to Toronto a lot about their D before this. Now is the time to make a move

Short term gain long term pain

We have Nurse, Bouchard, Broberg, Klefbom, Larsson, Jones, Bear and other D in the system

We have our future number one pairing

Bouchard and Broberg

giving up pieces now for a player who will be redundant in 2 years

Two years time

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard

will be our top 4

if your serious about upgrading now--one of those 4 are the ones that needs to get moved

Holland is looking at the long game--not the short game

he is not looking for a quick fix

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Yeah Melnyk is just a complete gong show. Like if you don't want to spend money to properly ice a roster, just sell the team. He's about getting the lowest payroll he can get.

That’s exactly what he’s doing, and it’s incredibly stupid that it’s even allowed.

As if the fans aren’t suffering enough now, this kind of management is going to lead to nobody ever wanting to stick around Ottawa whether it be re signing as an RFA, UFA or trades.

It’s going to be the place your career goes to die with the owner who will never pay you what your worth, funded by fans who just want to compete.

Disgusting.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Pressure is on Holland now he has to see that other teams in tighter spots getting things done. No excuse to not move some combo of Bear JP picks etc. to imrpove the D.

Hope that is he just oout waiting a team like Carolina who was talking to Toronto a lot about their D before this. Now is the time to make a move

Totally agree. We could easily afford to part with two of Bear/Jones/Lagesson/Persson, along with Pulju and Yamo, and our 1st next year should be in play.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Also I think Sakic is just tired of Barrie at this point. Whatever it is about the guy, hes been on the trade block for like 3 years.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
The 50% retention on Barries salary helps. I like this deal for the Avs...they are going to be a very good team next season.
I guess it helps? They only have 11M (16.3M with Horton on IR) to sign Marner (who wants 10M+), Ceci (rumour is he signed for 4.5M) and Kerfoot (who probably wants at least 3?). Another trade is gonna have to happen.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
That's not on Melnyk--that's Pierre Dorion.

Zaitsev costs Melnyk money.

It's all Melnyk....he gives directive to Dorion. Team has 9m on LTIR. They pick up Zaitsev now after Toronto has paid out the bonus. After Bobby Ryan, the next highest contract they have is Anderson at 4.75m and that runs out after this season. Melnyk is all about $$

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Short term gain long term pain

We have Nurse, Bouchard, Broberg, Klefbom, Larsson, Jones, Bear and other D in the system

We have our future number one pairing

Bouchard and Broberg

giving up pieces now for a player who will be redundant in 2 years

Two years time

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard

will be our top 4

if your serious about upgrading now--one of those 4 are the ones that needs to get moved

Holland is looking at the long game--not the short game

he is not looking for a quick fix

You can do both. I also do not think Broberg Bouchard is a future first pair but that is just IMO

Really if all Faulk costs you is say Benning + JP + pick/Bear you do that all day. We will not even notice Bear missing.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I can see Lucic for Ryan three weeks from now for sure checks all the boxes for OTT

Hopefully they trade him for Boedker or something. That would basically be the near equivalent to the Toronto-Ottawa trade. And then Dorion can gush about how their young players will have professioinal role model in Lucic to look upto for the next 4 seasons.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I guess it helps? They only have 11M (16.3M with Horton on IR) to sign Marner (who wants 10M+), Ceci (rumour is he signed for 4.5M) and Kerfoot (who probably wants at least 3?). Another trade is gonna have to happen.

For sure...they still have a mess of issues to deal with. Thats a large part of why I favor the Avs here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Either way they're likely cruising to another 100 point or better season. Must be nice.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Frustrating day for sure.

Seeing the Leafs keep improving while we waste prime years of McDavid and Drai is just awful.

It's days like this that really started to lower my interest in the team.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
As I have said for years, those deals are out there, we are just never a part of them.

The whole league has been kicking sand in the Oilers face for over a decade. No one wants to give us a deal knowing we're the ones who are almost always getting bent over the barrel.

And it's not just teams, it's players too. The Oilers have been taken advantage of forever. Free agency is rarely a benefit but more of a hindrance knowing we always have to pay more than everyone else.

This is where the rebuild through the draft came from, also now such a huge emphasis for building prospects from within the organization. This is the one particular part that fans of this team can't seem to grasp on to.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Who else do they even have to ship out? Brown, Kadri, Zaitsev, Marleau all traded away. Hyman hurt for beginning of season. Just resigned Kapanen and Johnsson. I guess that leaves Nylander??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad