“B-b-but wait and see what he does with the cap space!”

Rinse and repeat

Reactions: Aerchon

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
@Ramrod
I was born and raised in Edmonton, appreciate my upbringing there, but there's no way in hell I would ever move back. Now add an extra 0 to my salary, and you can see why hockey players don't want to come here.

I guess maybe that's why it would have been prudent to sign a GM who knew how to make a trade instead of one of Nicholson's buddies who the league passed by 1/2 a decade ago?

Reactions: Aerchon

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
So Imma say this.
It's not the fact that we haven't signed anyone. It's the fact that this roster is heavily flawed, lots of trades have happened lots of good useful players signed and we have done...essentially nothing. People know he might still do something but we have seen the Oilers so this song and dance. Take a ****ty team and do essentially **** all to fix it
Yeah. Every important day that passes (draft, and free agency) is just another significant date of GM to GM communication that we didn't come out on top of. For a normal team, that's fine, but when you've been on the outside looking in for 12 years, it's difficult to take.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

*Does nothing with cap space*

*another ill informed buyout or trade happens*

Rinse and repeat

It's still before noon in Edmonton, no?

I'm not saying Holland's going to do anything, but it's a little early to call the day/offseason a bust.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would you guys have taken Donskoi for 4.5M (EDM tax), that could have been a good bet. Maybe better than the combination of Chiasson and Granlund.

Oh and any word on Connolly? We still getting our free agent big fish?

Also any one of these 6M signings today would have improved the Oilers. f***in Lucics contract needs to go.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Pirri could add some scoring.... ferland some Scoring and grit... don’t want to overpay or over term on them either...

Just goes to show the importance of drafting well and making smart trades...

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
QUOTE:

They're also closer than you think to pissing off McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH to levels where they start to lash out and mentally check out.

You don't have the time you think you do.

As long as Connor thinks improvement is being made, he will be fine. If Connor is fine, Drai will be fine.

The drafting the last few years is starting to pay off. Connor does not demand out with the new talent almost ready to play.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Rinse and repeat

We get it. But when would he be able to buyout Sekera after July 1st? He was obviously trying to move him. But no one wanted him, even at 50% retained. So he did what he had to do. And it's only July 1st. Give it 2-3 weeks and see what actually happens.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Would you guys have taken Donskoi for 4.5M (EDM tax), that could have been a good bet. Maybe better than the combination of Chiasson and Granlund.

Oh and any word on Connolly? We still getting our free agent big fish?

Also any one of these 6M signings today would have improved the Oilers. ****in Lucics contract needs to go.
Connolly signed in Florida.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
So right now we have approx $5mil in space as long as Puljujärvi doesn't sign.

If Holland sits out till tomorrow I wonder who will be available.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'd try selling Simmonds on playing on a short term. If Chiasson can pick up 20+ goals imagine what you could do and cash in next year

Reactions: booyakasha

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Rinse and repeat

See the thing is, most people saying wait and see how it pans out are just preaching patience FOR NOW. It’s several hours into free agency and people are acting like there’s nothing else that Holland can do now, so it’s over and everything is terrible. Signings and trades can happen throughout the off season, so maybe just wait until opening day to start freaking out. If nothing changes, power to you, but why both and complain about a what if scenario as opposed to holding your tongue and waiting for the evidence that your what if is actually a reality? Right, because this is the internet and waiting two months two post your negative thoughts to the world is basically a punishment.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Not signing Nyquist to that deal is ridiculous. Also no one can say it would cost more for a player to sign in Edmonton vs Columbus. No player is lining up to sign with a gutted Columbus team led by Atkinson and Dubois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad