• Gaeten Haas

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
a lot of people will say they would live in Edmonton..usually from April 15th to October 15th--they other part not so much

as a former Edmontonian I will stay out of this discussion because I have lived in Edmonton and several other NHL cities and my opinions and view on the topic annoys some people and they do not want to go down this path again

To be clear, we are no California or Florida, but we sure as shit are better than Minnesota / Columbus / Winnepeg / Carolina / Detroit.

It is a factor sure, but it isn't THE factor, and thinking otherwise is in my opinion ignorant. These guys make 40k US a day, they could literally afford to spend all their off-days in Dubai regardless where they are connecting from.

To say we can't be a competitive team because of the city is a cop out and a joke. A much bigger factor is we've had an incompetent management structure for decades and we shit all over literally all of our employees publicly. If I read a glassdoor review anywhere near as negative as literally hearing the CEO throw one minor dude under the bus, I wouldn't even interview there.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Kadri for Barrie is pretty even, though is Toronto planing to play defence next year? Barrie and Ceci don't change much vs. Gardner and Zaitsev. Hell Zaitsev might be the most reliable of those 4 in his own zone (RE: it's a low bar).

But Kadri was their matchup centre, and it seems like that's a glaring hole for them.

They aren't worried. I've been told Matthews has Selke calibre defense by many leafs fans :D

Reactions: McFlyingV

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So what reason is there to be optimistic about the upcoming season? We already know that McDavid and Draisatl can’t carry this team to the playoffs on their own.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's a serious and legitimate criticism of the hire. If Edmonton is a place that is going to be difficult to attract free agents, than you need a GM who is able to make good trades for those players. Ken Holland has literally never been able to do that in his career as a GM.

So again...with this messy situation you expected Holland to make more trades since the SCF ended.
Does that really seem reasonable?

Its almost like (for you and others) every trade another team makes is somehow a reflection of this situation and Hollands incompetence...its ridiculous.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
This day almost makes me want Chiarelli back lol... At least he took some swings.

For his fault in stupid trades, he was a solid drafter. I'm hoping Holland can do something at least interesting to improve the situation capwise. So far he's seemingly made it kind of worse. His drafting will need some time to see. At least he didn't do a Reinhart caliber trade, we have that going for us which is nice.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
It's a serious and legitimate criticism of the hire. If Edmonton is a place that is going to be difficult to attract free agents, than you need a GM who is able to make good trades for those players. Ken Holland has literally never been able to do that in his career as a GM.

Who exactly were you gonna bring in then once Chiarelli finally got canned? McCrimmon got promoted but he has no previous experience running the show in the NHL. Hunter?..same thing, no experience running the show in the NHL. I mean you could go the Hextall route, but most people here would probably hate him as well.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So again...with this messy situation you expected Holland to make more trades since the SCF ended.
Does that really seem reasonable?

Its almost like (for you and others) every trade another teams makes is somehow a reflection of this situation and Hollands incompetence...its ridiculous.

Yes, I think it's entirely reasonable to expect that a GM who desperately needs to improve his team makes a smart trade or two to do so during the most active trading time of year outside of the trade deadline.

The league essentially shuts down in 4 or 5 days. After that teams are typically set until you get well into the season. If Holland doesn't do it in the next few days it's not going to happen.

Reactions: Beerfish

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So what reason is there to be optimistic about the upcoming season? We already know that McDavid and Draisatl can’t carry this team to the playoffs on their own.

Doing the same thing 3 years running will surely work.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
For his fault in stupid trades, he was a solid drafter. I'm hoping Holland can do something at least interesting to improve the situation capwise. So far he's seemingly made it kind of worse. His drafting will need some time to see. At least he didn't do a Reinhart caliber trade, we have that going for us which is nice.

Chiarelli's got his own top 10 list of disaster moves. That's just how bad it was. It's not like it was just the Hall blunder, or the Reinhart blunder. It was one after another after another. Not to mention we lost a 2nd rd pick bringing that fool on board as well.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The Chiadog days of summer will be a couple summers long at least. No surprise here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes, I think it's entirely reasonable to expect that a GM who desperately needs to improve his team makes a smart trade or two to do so during the most active trading time of year outside of the trade deadline.

The league essentially shuts down in 4 or 5 days. After that teams are typically set until you get well into the season. If Holland doesn't do it in the next few days it's not going to happen.

If you really believe this then you havent been paying attention to what the reality is with this team. Either that or you cant help yourself when it comes to being negative.

You know the cap situation...you know that the team has limited resources to trade with. If you really believe that this teams issues arent that bad and its entirely reasonable to expect this team to make a trade or 2 then please do detail who should be traded.

Sekera was shopped...we saw how that went. Who does this team have (to trade) that is valuable enough to make a difference in improving this team? Remember the cap.

Reactions: npanciroli

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I would say it is actually low on the value scale if you look at Kadri (legit 2C may be more on a great contract) getting Barrie and Pionk + 1st for Trouba (who was a rental technically NYR was not allowed to talk extension before)

Still though a lot or not I would say a Faulk means more to this team this year than any of JP Bear Benning Yamamato etc. In fact I would say it is difference between playoffs and missing.

If we were to bring in Faulk, i would rather it be a D man going out, ie Benning, Bear, etc. We can't be shipping out the likes of Yamamato when forward prospects are our weakest part of the prospect pool

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Teams get better and the oilers stay the same.

I don’t know how holland can look at that defensive core and say he’s okay with it.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
If you really believe this then you havent been paying attention to what the reality is with this team. Either that or you cant help yourself when it comes to being negative.

You know the cap situation...you know that the team has limited resources to trade with. If you really believe that this teams issues arent that bad and its entirely reasonable to expect this team to make a trade or 2 then please do detail who should be traded.
Iam sure you have posted that exact same reply the last 5 summers.

At some point we need a God damn manager who can make chicken soup out of chicken shit.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Oilers are a disaster in UFA signings. I don't mind sitting on the sidelines and building through the draft

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Really?

In what way is the cap worse? How has holland made the cap worse.? Are you even paying attention or just adding your voice to the stupid echo chamber of stupid drama queen fans? Everything Holland has done is short term and he added cap room. Please tell me how he made it worse?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Yeah the whole "this is just the beginning of the off season" is nonsense.

July 1 is closer to the end of the off season.

The off season is mainly the draft to July 1-2.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I know that we have a plethora of promising young d prospects. I know that we had a full drafts worth of picks.

Any of those assets could have been used to improve the team. I see multiple teams solving their cap issues. I see multiple teams making smart trades for minimal costs.

I see people making excuses that divisional rivals don't make trades as reasons why the Oilers couldn't have acquired a player like Haula. Then I see the Leafs and Sens make a trade a handful of days later.

If Holland can't do it, it's not because it can't be done. It's because he's not good enough at his job.

Reactions: EagerPug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad