McKenzie: “…the #2 pick is very much up for grabs…”/The 2OA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Are you saying Corey Schneider is mediocre? Because that's laughable. The canes would be a lot better next year with Schneider than with svechnikov

And if the goal of the team is to be better for 1 year, then a trade like this might make sense, but that's not the goal of the team. ;)

Of the 16 playoff teams, only 2 weren't in the top half of the league in goal scoring. The BlueJackets, who were 17th by 1 goal and the Ducks, who were 19th but had the league's best goaltending and both of those teams were promptly disposed of in the 1st round.

Canes don't need elite goaltending to get into the playoffs, they need average goaltending and vastly improved goal scoring. For that reason, along with getting a guy like Svechnikov who will be under the teams control for a long time and will be cheaper short term vs. 32 year old Cory Schnieder who is more expensive and coming off two sub .910 seasons back to back.

Not to mention Schneider has a NTC.

Definitely not a good offer for Carolina and definitely not a "Wow, they would do this?" type of offer.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
He may, but I'd still rather have an 18YO potential elite goal scorer than some of these bad offers for more expensive and much older players. ;)

I would be absolutely dumbfounded if the Canes traded that pick for Carey Price. Not to mention his NMC and his huge salary.
That is very true. Carolina didn't deserve 2OA though. Their team should have been in the playoffs this year and if you add Svech to that roster, its gross. Lottery can be so stupid at times.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That is very true. Carolina didn't deserve 2OA though. Their team should have been in the playoffs this year and if you add Svech to that roster, its gross. Lottery can be so stupid at times.

LOL. "Canes didn't deserve it." :nopity:

The Canes have the longest run of not making the playoffs in the NHL. And haven't had a top 3 pick in 12 straight drafts. And have only once had a #2OA pick and that was 2003 And have never had a 1st OA pick. And have been in the lottery 18 times and never won it before.

Canes deserve it as much as anybody else.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
LOL. "Canes didn't deserve it." :nopity:

The Canes have the longest run of not making the playoffs in the NHL. And haven't had a top 3 pick in 12 straight drafts. And have only once had a #2OA pick and that was 2003 And have never had a 1st OA pick. And have been in the lottery 18 times and never won it before.

Canes deserve it as much as anybody else.
I didn't mean it like that. It was more of a compliment to the Canes but whatever. Their roster is stacked with potential and they could probably make a playoff run without Svech. Especially next year if Aho does better then he did this year. Those stats are also quite dumb because its the same for a lot of teams. Hell, my Habs have never had a 2nd overall pick EVER, Montreal has only gotten ONE top 3 pick since 1981 and it was 3OA.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think Zadina will end up being the better player. Svechnikov has more skill but Zadina's passion for the game is off the chart. Those kind of players usually end up not only being stars but character hard working leaders

Habs fan?

P.S.-you may be right in the long run, but if it were up to me, I take Svechnikov 100 times out of 100 over Zadina.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
Did NJ or PHI “deserve” Hischier and Patrick last year?

it’s a lottery, sometimes the odds don’t fall where you expect

Very true but again, I didn't mean it that way. I was just trying to say if you look at the bottom 15, Carolina is one of the more skilled rosters and other teams could have benefited more. Last years DL was a weird one though I agree.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Very true but again, I didn't mean it that way. I was just trying to say if you look at the bottom 15, Carolina is one of the more skilled rosters and other teams could have benefited more. Last years DL was a weird one though I agree.
Fair enough

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I can't believe.....
Cory Schneider???
Come on people.
And that's to drop 15 spots too.
Yeah, they'll maybe make the playoffs next season (forget about the future after that though, we're only worried next season). Yeah, they'll get an ok prospect at #17. :facepalm: "Is Svechnikov in Carolina yet? Drive him to the airport! Quick before they change their minds!"
Oh by the way, the Canes were bottom 10 in goals for, top 10 in goals against. Couldn't use a potential elite offensive player for the next decade though. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Do you think the Canes would be interested in 3OA+35OA+38OA for 2OA+42OA?

if the canes viewed svech and zadina as relatively equal, or if they were cobfident montreal wants to secure zadina, then yes. prob overpayment tbh.

but to put it in perspective, the svechnikov hype train has reached the point on the canes board where he's getting compared to dahlin as a prospect, placed in the matthews/nash/kane tier of player.

doesn't change most of these proposals are bad. #2 for #17 and Schneider? bleh

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
First of all, Svechnikov is a prospect. He may score 40 goals next year or he may score 10. You never know. Use Nail Yakupov as an example. Second of all, Carey Price just had a bad year he will bounce back. I do agree with you about his contract atm but he may bounce back.

I did in fact say potential for Svechnikov. He’s not a sure thing, nothing is in life, but all the advanced stats suggest he will be successful. Yakupov is not a comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad