McKenzie: “…the #2 pick is very much up for grabs…”/The 2OA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I don't know because the trade didnt happen. Theoretically speaking, what parts would interest you most? Late 1st, 2nds, prospects, young roster players? etc

Personally, I think Svech and Zads are on different tiers so it would be a lot. Edit: young players and NHL-ready specs...looking to end the rebuild and jump to Contender status.

Svech seems like a superstar in the making, on par with Laine and Matthews. Zads more of merely very good, on a level with Ehler and Nylander.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Canes laugh hysterically and hang up

It's really not a terrible offer considering the Canes are a goaltender away from being a solid team. Until then, they will suffer from Flyers syndrome.

They are a pretty solid team already but adding the #2 pick still doesn't make them a playoff team considering that terrible goaltender situation.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's really not a terrible offer considering the Canes are a goaltender away from being a solid team. Until then, they will suffer from Flyers syndrome.

They are a pretty solid team already but adding the #2 pick still doesn't make them a playoff team considering that terrible goaltender situation.

Seems like a common theme in this thread where people are saying “Well you NEED position player x, so therefore it makes sense for you to massively overpay my team for a mediocre fix.”

Consider if the Canes actually were willing to trade Svechnikov to fix the goaltending issue. They offer the #2 Overall pick to the league for the best starting goalie available. You think the best offer they would get is Cory Schneider? Canes hang up laughing.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
All these threads that have Carolina trading the #2 are as laughable and disgusting as those from years ago that went "Yeah you'll trade us Skinner for a bag of pucks and like it because he's one hit away from aarrrgggbblbllahblahblah"

You know what percentage chance the pick gets traded?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Seems like a common theme in this thread where people are saying “Well you NEED position player x, so therefore it makes sense for you to massively overpay my team for a mediocre fix.”

Consider if the Canes actually were willing to trade Svechnikov to fix the goaltending issue. They offer the #2 Overall pick to the league for the best starting goalie available. You think the best offer they would get is Cory Schneider? Canes hang up laughing.

Montreal would take that and run because of the Price contract. My offer also included the #17 pick which is still a very valuable pick in this draft. I'm sure it would take an addition to get a deal like this done but Schneider + 17 is a good starting point.

And only one year ago Cory was considered a top 5 guy in this league, he had a bad season but is still young enough and bound to bounce back. This forum has extremely short memories about how good Cory was and still can be.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

Are you saying Corey Schneider is mediocre? Because that's laughable. The canes would be a lot better next year with Schneider than with svechnikov

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Are you saying Corey Schneider is mediocre? Because that's laughable. The canes would be a lot better next year with Schneider than with svechnikov

Interesting point. Let’s ask Canes GM Don Waddell:

For the lazy, straight from the Canes GM's mouth:

Host: "The 2nd Pick. More likely to use it on a goal scorer at #2? Or more likely to use it as a piece to improve some other aspect of the team?"

Waddell: "Theres no doubt... uhh *pause*.. I think we will be... uhh *pause*... We'd have to be put in a situation where we'd have to be completely blown away. I think the #2 pick is very, very valuable. You take that asset. It's very rare where you get the chance to take a Star. We could trade that pick right now and get some good players that would help the team for the next 3-4 years but you wouldn't get a star. Its hard to trade stars. I've traded 3 stars in my career: Heatley, Kovalchuk, and Hossa and it's hard to trade stars because its hard get a return on them. Saying that, you know, I've told a lot of teams - and they've all called - I said, you know, if you guys want to take the time and put a package together... I'll review everything you've got. But I've told everybody, it's gonna have to be a package that I'mgonna have to look at and say "WOW, they would do THIS?!?" Otherwise, we are comfortable taking this pick".

..We could trade that pick right now and get some good players that would help the team for the next 3-4 years but you wouldn't get a star.

Yes, the Canes might be better next year with Schneider (although I disagree). However the Canes aren’t shipping away a franchise cornerstone for a 32 year old goalie who lost his starting role this year.

The Devils do have a piece the Canes would be interested in. Hischier for #2. Best forward from last year for the best forward this year.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

It’s not like the Canes don’t have...uhm...other assets to use to obtain a goalie outside of #2....like say other draft picks this year, Hanifin/Faulk/Fleury/Bean or Skinner to trade for a fix in the nets.

Trading a potential 40g scorer ans “star”, in a market that desperately needs scoring and stars, for Schneider and a pick would be utterly stupid. If you want #2, the CAR GM has already gone on record as saying he needs to be wowed, Schneider and a pick doesn’t even raise an eyebrow.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It’s not like the Canes don’t have...uhm...other assets to use to obtain a goalie outside of #2....like say other draft picks this year, Hanifin/Faulk/Fleury/Bean or Skinner to trade for a fix in the nets.

Trading a potential 40g scorer ans “star”, in a market that desperately needs scoring and stars, for Schneider and a pick would be utterly stupid. If you want #2, the CAR GM has already gone on record as saying he needs to be wowed, Schneider and a pick doesn’t even raise an eyebrow.

But you guys need a goalie. You’ll never go anywhere without one.

moegillknee

Jul 30, 2016
If canes could get a solid established goalie as a return they speed up getting back to the playoffs. martin jones. Freddie anderssen come to mind .not sure if they would even be available.
Leafs have Sparks in the Ahl probably ready to backup right now.but do leafs make the playoffs without freddy.
Dont think 2oa would do it .but it would be tempting. And what do canes do with darling?
A deal of freddy plus zaitsev and McElhinny for 2oa plus pesce and darling sounds close.canes goalie problem solved at under 6 mill .and have the depth on d to take the downgrade. Clear winner in the short term canes with playoff revenue and young players developing in a winning atmosphere.
Leafs could entertain moving nylander for more d depth but no hurry.leafs will be active in ufa market.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
. . .

ra·tion·al·i·za·tion
ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)ləˈzāSH(ə)n,ˌraSH(ə)n(ə)līˈzāSH(ə)n/
noun: rationalization; plural noun: rationalizations; noun: rationalisation; plural noun: rationalisations

1. the action of attempting to explain or justify behavior or an attitude with logical reasons, even if these are not appropriate.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
Also if you guys need a goalie, Price should be available for that pick. Montreal will benefit a lot more in rebuilding and getting rid of their older players. Obviously there would be conditions and so on in the trade but It's worth a shot

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If canes could get a solid established goalie as a return they speed up getting back to the playoffs. martin jones. Freddie anderssen come to mind .not sure if they would even be available.
Leafs have Sparks in the Ahl probably ready to backup right now.but do leafs make the playoffs without freddy.
Dont think 2oa would do it .but it would be tempting. And what do canes do with darling?
A deal of freddy plus zaitsev and McElhinny for 2oa plus pesce and darling sounds close.canes goalie problem solved at under 6 mill .and have the depth on d to take the downgrade. Clear winner in the short term canes with playoff revenue and young players developing in a winning atmosphere.
Leafs could entertain moving nylander for more d depth but no hurry.leafs will be active in ufa market.

Are you guys trying to one-up each other? You think everyone could just marinate in the bad Schneider offer for a while before getting excited and throwing out an even worse Andersen offer.

I seriously wouldn’t trade Pesce alone for Zaitsev + Andersen.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

That’s not close, not at all.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Do you think the Canes would be interested in 3OA+35OA+38OA for 2OA+42OA?

Also if you guys need a goalie, Price should be available for that pick. Montreal will benefit a lot more in rebuilding and getting rid of their older players. Obviously there would be conditions and so on in the trade but It's worth a shot
"But I've told everybody, it's gonna have to be a package that I'm gonna have to look at and say "WOW, they would do THIS?!?" Otherwise, we are comfortable taking this pick" - Canes GM

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Price should be available for that pick? Should?

Montreal would sign that offer so fast the paperwork would catch on fire. Carolina would never do that, though. In what world do you get a potential 40 goal scoring star like Svechnikov for a goalie coming off an awful year who’s signed to what’s probably the worst contract on the league? Montreal made their bed and now they have to sleep in it. If they ever do trade him it will be with a lot of retention and it won’t garner anywhere near the level of return you propose.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Devils offer Schneider + pick 17.

Yes the Canes desperately need a goaltender. The assertion that the best way for us to get one is by dealing Svech is ridiculous. We have a lot of other assets that would do the trick and would leave us in a better position overall.

Habby Patty

May 7, 2018
Ontario
Price should be available for that pick? Should?

Montreal would sign that offer so fast the paperwork would catch on fire. Carolina would never do that, though. In what world do you get a potential 40 goal scoring star like Svechnikov for a goalie coming off an awful year who’s signed to what’s probably the worst contract on the league? Montreal made their bed and now they have to sleep in it. If they ever do trade him it will be with a lot of retention and it won’t garner anywhere near the level of return you propose.
First of all, Svechnikov is a prospect. He may score 40 goals next year or he may score 10. You never know. Use Nail Yakupov as an example. Second of all, Carey Price just had a bad year he will bounce back. I do agree with you about his contract atm but he may bounce back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad