News Article: ‘Drama club’: Last season or, the ‘other’ Bob and Bread thread

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I had an inkling that there could be some addition by subtraction with this whole situation, and after reading this article it's more than an inkling. The team will be tighter and the tactics will be adjusted. The wins might not always be pretty, but we'll be in the mix come springtime.

I also have a feeling Elvis could have some of that first year goalie magic, where there is no book on them yet and they blow the doors off the league. Historically that might not be sustainable, but whatever helps us get this past year off the palate.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I also have a feeling Elvis could have some of that first year goalie magic, where there is no book on them yet and they blow the doors off the league. Historically that might not be sustainable, but whatever helps us get this past year off the palate.
Certainly hoping as much myself.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
CBJ knew they weren't getting him back.....that was to appease the fans. If they did get him back, fine, it would have meant Bread could stand being here due to the money, but I'm sure Jarmo and company had no delusions of this happening.

So all the CBJ doing was trying to look good to the fans? That sounds right (thee are teams in MLB who pursue every big time FA but they have no intention of getting them, they just want to be able to tell folks - hey we tried we just got out bid).

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Let me say this, there was a mention several times in articles during the season that Cam was lobbying Bread very heavily to stay. So I can see where Cam might have had a bit more of a personal stake in Bread’s decision.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^"Oh ****, I just remembered I'm pretty average without Bread" may have been a thought he had a time or two.

Reactions: ViD

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Wanted Panarin dealt the moment I heard he wouldn’t negotiate (go ahead and pull up the thread) but it didn’t happen.

Reading that article sure doesn’t make me feel any better about it not happening. In fact, it makes me wonder why mgmt not only hung on to those two guys who were clearly not invested in this franchise/team but then turned around and COMPLETELY went against all the team building principles (brick-by-brick, build from within, protect the future, there are no shortcuts, etc) that have been shoved down our throats and doubled down on those two.

I will just never agree with it. And spare me the “we swept Tampa” crap — you go all in on a one-hit-wonder like we did and I’m not celebrating anything but a cup.

I am glad it’s behind us though and I’m looking forward to hopefully getting back to the aforementioned team building principles bc that is how to build a consistent contender.

But hey, anyone looking for 75% off Panarin jerseys and Duchene t-shirts should check out the big box sports store at Polaris — it’s appropriately titled Dicks.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Well it's funny for all that Drama that the CBJ still wanted Panarin back (the last minute offer).
Yep , pretty much confirms who they thought the real issue was , and why the team was shocked when it first leaked he may not resign , this was after speeding the summer with Bob , I remind you . Hope Bob enjoys playing in front of a few thousand , maybe when we play him , we can test that surgically repaired groin :D

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If anything, Panarin jaded Bob. Coincidentally his attitude flared up when rockstar Panarin arrived.
Hmm that’s not what these interviews are saying . Interviews cam gave right after the season spelled it out , front offices actions were to make a run at bread , and drop Bob , and rightfully so . That is telling . Then he leaves and goes to Fla , a market that a few people may notice his play . An aging 31 yr goalie with little success in the playoffs , that We now know was a cancer in the locker room . Pouted on day 1 when he came to camp , was late for first day on ice , had a temper tantrum in Tampa , showered , and left , came to a head in Vancouver , and yet somehow , your blaming Bread :help:. Make no mistake this is leaking on purpose . There is some anger in the front office , and yet they also want the message out that they will have a damn good team this fall, without the distractions

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Hmm that’s not what these interviews are saying . Interviews cam gave right after the season spelled it out , front offices actions were to make a run at bread , and drop Bob , and rightfully so . That is telling . Then he leaves and goes to Fla , a market that a few people may notice his play . An aging 31 yr goalie with little success in the playoffs , that We now know was a cancer in the locker room . Pouted on day 1 when he came to camp , was late for first day on ice , had a temper tantrum in Tampa , showered , and left , came to a head in Vancouver , and yet somehow , your blaming Bread :help:. Make no mistake this is leaking on purpose . There is some anger in the front office , and yet they also want the message out that they will have a damn good team this fall, without the distractions

No, I’m not blaming anyone. Check my post on page one. You’re incapable of having an unbiased conversation on this matter.

Bob has plenty of blame. As does panarin.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Meh, honestly, this reads like a bit of a cheap shot at Bread and Bob, without them having the ability to defend themselves. I don’t doubt there were distractions or that the locker room will be healthier this upcoming year (which does not necessarily mean the on-ice product will be better, though it’s perhaps possible). But if they were really that bad, why were the players trying to get them to stay the whole year? Also (and I’m a big Cam fan, might buy his jersey this summer as my first new one since Wisniewski) it’s a bit rich reading that quote from Atkinson given his disappearing act against the Bruins.

The article comes across a bit like complaining about an ex-girlfriend choosing to break up with you. Just let it go.

Were the other players trying to get them to stay here all year? Even if that was true, they don't have to be exclusive. You don't easily replace players like that and if you want to win it's generally better to have them around. People tend to have short memories when you are winning, so I'm sure they did everything they could to get the band to stay together.

It was fairly apparent that neither player wanted to be here, so that really shouldn't come as a surprise. I tend to believe that Atkinson is not lying, although he might be giving a biased account of his impression of what occurred. As far as Bob and Panarin not being here to defend themselves, I really don't see them caring. I doubt many of the CBJ were on Bob's Christmas list.

Bob was a bit of a head case, which seems to be a normal trait for goalies. The old joke about needing to be to play that position.

This article really doesn't change my mind of either player a whole lot. They're gone and we'll move on. I was never a fan of Bob's, so that won't hurt my feelings a whole lot. I wish him well as a human, but as far as his professional life I no longer care. As far as Panarin it turned in to a far less dramatic Carter crap show. He was never really honest about what he wanted in his next deal. The Rangers are notorious for signing big names and having it not work out - for the player nor the team. Since I never wish the Rangers to win anything, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. To be honest, I'll continue to like him as a player but not his team. I'd have been happier if he had ended up with Florida with Bob.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The one thing that did come of of this, no real concerns with the cap... :p

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Extra cap space we're not using is a waste, especially when it's as much as it's projected to be.
Not really.

Look at Colorado, New Jersey and Carolina. They had plenty of cap room the previous few years and didn't just go on spending sprees. Now they're taking advantage of other teams with cap issues and can afford to pay the players who they have to keep them.

Spending to reach the cap isn't a good idea-unless you can get everyone on one year deals.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Extra cap space we're not using is a waste, especially when it's as much as it's projected to be.

That's just a false statement and really not worthy of debate. If nothing much changes we're going to be around 10M under the cap. Anderson and PLD are up for new contracts next year.

You don't use cap space to just use it.

Now if you want to say that the teams with lower cap hits are generally not the better teams in the league, that's something that I won't really debate.

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
No, I’m not blaming anyone. Check my post on page one. You’re incapable of having an unbiased conversation on this matter.

Bob has plenty of blame. As does panarin.

Boy, you sure flip flopped on that pretty quick, eh?

What does Panarin deserve blame for? People want to make claims about Panarin during the deadline, but Atkinson literally called Bobrovsky out by name.....

Panarin played out his contract and was professional enough about things with his on ice play and actions. BOBROVSKY DID NOT!!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not really.

Look at Colorado, New Jersey and Carolina. They had plenty of cap room the previous few years and didn't just go on spending sprees. Now they're taking advantage of other teams with cap issues and can afford to pay the player who they have to keep them.

Spending to reach the cap isn't a good idea-unless you can get everyone on one year deals.

Which we could/should be doing. Toronto, Boston, Tampa, etc. all have cap issues. We have D depth we could flip for some scoring help up front.

The point isn't to be up against the cap every year. But Jarmo does have flexibility, and supposed depth on the blue line, he's just (for now) not doing much with it. May change when QOs expire.

Unless you are actively tanking, there's no reason to just barely be clearing the cap floor. It would speak to poor asset/roster management.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Boy, you sure flip flopped on that pretty quick, eh?

What does Panarin deserve blame for? People want to make claims about Panarin during the deadline, but Atkinson literally called Bobrovsky out by name.....

Panarin played out his contract and was professional enough about things with his on ice play and actions. BOBROVSKY DID NOT!!

Maybe I should clarify. Since you clearly don't get it.

The "I don't blame anyone" thing was about if either caused the other to want to leave. Not about the drama at hand.

I don't blame Bob or Panarin for leaving. I don't think one caused the other to leave or one jaded the other. It really bothers me that people really think Bobrovsky had any impact on Panarin staying and vice versa.

However, the drama of last year, and all of that shit that it brought to the team. That 100% lies within both of those guys.

Panarin for stringing the team along last year, saying he was interested in negotiating and staying in Columbus a long time, and then the about face in the offseason. Again, it's in his right to do this, but of course that was going to bring a lot of attention. If he was truly not interested in staying, or didn't know if he wanted to, he shouldn't have made statements saying he was excited to get to negotiations two years ago. Then, of course, he yo-yo'd this year too as it was reported he was "considering" us around the January meeting we had with his representation, and then of course the trade deadline and all of that. Panarin was a distraction.

Bob, same thing but in a more serious matter. We all know about the pre-season media day, and how poorly he handled that. It cast a huge shadow on the team and required the players to take charge and address the issues Bob put forth. Anyway, Bobrovsky handled the entire situation worse than Panarin did, but I think he showed up to work everyday and worked hard when he was here. Which is all you can ask of either player.

You say Panarin was professional with how he handled the season on the ice, but aside from one incident in Tampa, Bobrovsky was the same. If you want to say Panarin was better because he had no incident, then okay? But it's not like Bobrovsky was short of effort either. And need I remind you MANY people were calling out Panarin for his lack of effort at the end of the season past the trade deadline. I disagreed, and still do, but it was out there.

So yeah, I don't blame them for leaving, and I don't truly believe Bobrovsky was jaded by Panarin (and Bobrovsky isn't the reason Panarin didn't stay, because my god, if it was wouldn't they have gone to the same team?) But I do blame both players (and the organization a bit) for how much drama filled the last season.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bob, same thing but in a more serious matter. We all know about the pre-season media day, and how poorly he handled that. It cast a huge shadow on the team and required the players to take charge and address the issues Bob put forth. Anyway, Bobrovsky handled the entire situation worse than Panarin did, but I think he showed up to work everyday and worked hard when he was here. Which is all you can ask of either player.

You say Panarin was professional with how he handled the season on the ice, but aside from one incident in Tampa, Bobrovsky was the same. If you want to say Panarin was better because he had no incident, then okay? But it's not like Bobrovsky was short of effort either. And need I remind you MANY people were calling out Panarin for his lack of effort at the end of the season past the trade deadline. I disagreed, and still do, but it was out there.

They are big boys and probably both had their independent decisions on what they wanted to do, and the other guy probably didn't/wouldn't have an impact on the final decision. However, I'd go as far to say they both probably negatively affected the others tiny (if any possibility) of staying. That's to say, Bob surely didn't HELP the chances of Panarin staying in any way.

I get a lot of what you have to say about Panarin (or more so the situation) being a distraction. I'd argue though, that this was almost entirely out of his control. Its safe to say most of what, we the public, got from Panarin was a lot of "PR", essentially a very nice and possibly overly-soft "thanks but no thanks". But, especially with the new comments from Atkinson, lets not act like HE actually did anything to distract the team. Its seems to be the case that while the fans got a "maybe", the other players and Jarmo got a, "Yes I'm gone".

You (and others) are ridiculously downplaying the incident(S) with Bobrovsky, who i may add WAS (feels good) THE TEAMS HIGH PAID STARTING GOALIE.

It WAS NOT "just" the incident in TB. He was literally late for "practice" at least once, if not twice if I believe.

ALSO, do people not remember his PLAY IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES to start the year? That's where the REAL story developed, as that's why Korpisalo was getting starts AND PLAYING WELL at the very beginning of the year, when he was NAMED the starter for 1 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad