News Article: ‘Drama club’: Last season or, the ‘other’ Bob and Bread thread

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

Too bad then.

I think he will never be a fluent speaker anyway. English is way more complex than most foreigners think that it is and I doubt he will ever pass the level of lets say OV. Bread's Russian isnt very well developed either which is a result of many possible reasons yet its also very likely a sign that he lacks the talent in that department..

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Too bad then.

I think he will never be a fluent speaker anyway. English is way more complex than most foreigners think that it is and I doubt he will ever pass the level of lets say OV. Bread's Russian isnt very well developed either which is a result of many possible reasons yet its also very likely a sign that he lacks the talent in that department..
I mean Gavrikov literally gave an interview his first day in the states. I'm not mad that Panarin doesn't speak English, I'm upset he lied about it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It’s entirely possible the never-took-lessons thing is also bull. I mean, if we’re now assuming he’s immature, maybe he's just messing during the interview?

I’m not sure why we care anymore, but I don’t want to come across as ‘shutting down topics.’

Last edited:
Reactions: GoJackets1 and Fro

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
It’s entirely possible the never-took-lessons thing is also bull. I mean, if we’re now assuming he’s immature, maybe he's just messing during the interview?

I’m not sure why we care anymore, but I don’t want to come across as ‘shutting down topics.’

It is possible tbh.

I was 12-13 years old when I first saw an American undubbed movie and I can assure you: (American) english sounded pretty much like an alien language to my mind. Learning it requires A LOT of effort, especially if one wants to be taken seriously (few errors, good accent, extensive vocabulary etc). So its entirely possible that Bread has never taken lessons before or that he lacked motivation to put time and effort into it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Bobrovsky on leaving Blue Jackets for Panthers: ‘I needed changes’

Thought Bob's comments about Torts were also of interest. Bet a lot of guys on the team feel this way.

I'm not sure what was of interest there. That about describes every coach I've ever had in my life.

I'll be honest, the only real revelations there were:

1. All along I've said that I tend to think that Bob's issues are mostly mental. The CBJ front office seemed to agreed.
2. The CBJ front office continued to try and get him when he said he wasn't going to sign an extension.

Based on this info, I'm actually kind of disappointed we decided to take the path we did at the deadline. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I would have asked Bob to waive his NMC during the Vegas Draft, Foligno for sure. This didn't seem like a career ending contract match for the CBJ and the player. In hindsight, it might have been better to just recognize that sooner and move on when his value was higher. I doubt Bob would have put up much of a fight waiving that NMC, if not for Vegas another team.

As far as Panarin, he gave all the signs he wasn't going to be with us.

We really weren't ready for a long playoff run, seems like a bit of a waste of assets. I'm happy we made it to the second round, I'm also happy with the players getting the experience. I'm not really happy where we are on the other side of this situation. If we've improved, it will be in the room with players that are wildly unpredictable or with no experience. I'm just hoping we "push" next season.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Bobrovsky Was Never Going Back to Blue Jackets?
Bobrovsky spoke to Sport 24’s Daria Tubolseva and said during his interview that he informed the Blue Jackets following their postseason exit in 2018 that he had no intentions of staying with the team. They didn’t believe him.
The Blue Jackets continued to try and sign him at various points throughout the season and it was never his intention to say yes. He suggested they always knew that. Ultimately, it appears the Blue Jackets really shot themselves in the foot
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-july-25-2019/

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I don’t expect him to express regret about a deal that grants him essentially anonymity and no expectations in addition to super rich status.

I am surprised he addressed CBJ questions because it doesn’t behoove him at all.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This was the major reason JK made the moves he did. It was time to show fans that the CBJ are ready to make bold and significant efforts to win now.

Maybe, but I'm not convinced that was worth the cost. Not that my opinion really matters to the FO or 99% of the fans.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This was the major reason JK made the moves he did. It was time to show fans that the CBJ are ready to make bold and significant efforts to win now.

I'm sure that was part of it.

But I'm going to assume they thought they would keep Dzingel (2 - 2nds) and thought they had a 50/50 chance on Duchene.
I'd be shocked if they thought they would lose all 4.

I just wonder what the majority of fans would have been if both JD and Jarmo left this offseason after all the moves?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Could care less that we lost the free agents. Jarmo was agressive and went for it, and had it not been for 3 of our defensemen being out in the playoffs, they had a great chance to win the cup. Also, what people cant seem to grasp in the doom and gloom outlook is that Jarmo feels that Texier and Bemstrom will be impact players at the nhl level. He has a great track record, so I believe him . With expansion looming, and the real possibility of losing some really good players, alot of picks will be recouped over the next year.

Reactions: Madifer and Jovavic

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Could care less that we lost the free agents. Jarmo was agressive and went for it, and had it not been for 3 of our defensemen being out in the playoffs, they had a great chance to win the cup. Also, what people cant seem to grasp in the doom and gloom outlook is that Jarmo feels that Texier and Bemstrom will be impact players at the nhl level. He has a great track record, so I believe him . With expansion looming, and the real possibility of losing some really good players, alot of picks will be recouped over the next year.

I agree with you about going for it.

But Jarmo’s ‘great track record’ includes repeated insistence on relying on Alex Wennberg.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I also agree with going for it and if it was not for Torts inability to make tweaks on the fly, who knows where'd we end up. Carolina is very beatable and that Blues team underachieved in the beginning of the season, but they were dead last in the league to start the new year so you know that ability to stink up the joint still remained.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Going for it was the right call. I disagreed with it partially at the time (I wanted to sell Panarin but keep Bob and hope for the best, but once we got Duchene it was all in), but Jarmo proved himself to be right. That team, on paper, was stacked, and if they didn't drag their feet before and after the TDD they could have been a Metro top 3 team and had an easier path. I don't care what people on the mains or in the public hockey media say, going for it was the right call.

At the same time, lets not kid ourselves, losing all of that top tier talent while only adding (to date) Nyquist means the team is probably going to take a significant step back. I don't think we'll be awful, I think we finish around where Philly or Florida did this year. But that's assuming one of Merzlikins or Korpisalo takes the #1 job and plays like a #1 goalie. If neither do, its going to be a high lottery year, even with our stacked defense. I think our offense is OK, but the vulnerabilities up the middle can't be ignored. Yes, I know people here are suddenly warm to the idea of Jenner as 2C, but I'm not. I think he's a perfect 3rd liner who can play up and down the lineup and in any situations if needed. Wennberg, we all know that story, and Dubois is also a question mark. Relying on Texier or Bemstrom or both to be the saving graces reminds me of the old CBJ where we counted on kids to carry the bill. But unlike before, I don't think this management team or coaching staff will force these kids in the lineup like previous administrations did.

TL;DR, its going to be an interesting year.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At the risk of bumping up against the "no politics unless strictly related to hockey" rule that I am obligated to enforce, I have this theory bouncing around in my head that the recent statement by Panarin about politics back home may well have been why he was wanting to go to someplace like NYR. Because, being in a major city, he's more noticeable, and he's got more experience with which to make the comparisons he did. (Indeed, in that sense, the trade here to Columbus would help with his credibility - he's "been there" both in Russia and in America.)

Kind of hard to elaborate why that theory comes to mind without crossing the no-politics line, but it's been in my head all this time and I felt compelled to at least mention it.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
At the risk of bumping up against the "no politics unless strictly related to hockey" rule that I am obligated to enforce, I have this theory bouncing around in my head that the recent statement by Panarin about politics back home may well have been why he was wanting to go to someplace like NYR. Because, being in a major city, he's more noticeable, and he's got more experience with which to make the comparisons he did. (Indeed, in that sense, the trade here to Columbus would help with his credibility - he's "been there" both in Russia and in America.)

Kind of hard to elaborate why that theory comes to mind without crossing the no-politics line, but it's been in my head all this time and I felt compelled to at least mention it.

Maybe. Of course, him choosing to leave Columbus can easily be pointed to by critics of the interview/Putin supporters that he’s full of hot air and only NYC and a couple other top-tier cities in America are worth anything.

Reactions: Madifer

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You seem more excited for this season than I’ve seen from you in the past. Is that …

I’m pissed. Yeah, I’m pissed. I’m pissed for my players. I’m pissed for my organization. And I’m pissed on behalf of my city.

Pissed because of the players that decided to leave?

I have a tremendous amount of respect for all of them. I do. A tremendous amount of respect. But don’t talk about goddamn winning, like you want to go somewhere to win. It’s right there in front of you. I say that very carefully because I like them all. We had lots of meetings. We had to straighten things out in certain ways at certain times last season when it was kind of going off the tracks. I’ll go individually. Dutchie (Duchene) … he’s a hockey guy, and I loved being around him. He played really well for us. But he wanted to leave. Panarin … he just did so many great things. At 170 pounds, he’s one of the strongest guys I’ve ever coached. You know how I feel about him. It’s ridiculous (how good he is). But he left. Bob is one hell of a goalie. Bob, in the last three years, has taken step by step by step in the playoffs. He was really good, he improved in these playoffs. If he doesn’t make that save (start of the second period) in Game 1 against Tampa, who knows where it goes? That’s how it works. I respect them all. But I don’t want to hear “I want to win” when it’s right f***ing here. I respect them, but I’m really pissed. It was right there, where we were really progressing. Maybe they don’t like playing for me. That’s fine. To me, eventually, you’re not playing for the coach, you’re playing for your teammates, and that’s where I saw the camaraderie and the arrogance … I could see all of that building. I guess I feel like the players. I think the players respect them, respect the rights they had to do what they did. But I’m pissed, too, just like the players. I’m saying, “Hell with them, we want to be here, let’s get it together and get going.” I wish them nothing but the best, but I’m pissed that they leave Columbus, because I think we’ve got a really good thing going here.

‘Pissed off’ John Tortorella weighs in on departed...

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Love it, and hate that there's people who hate it.

Again, I wont say the team is "better off" or "worse" without Panarin, but the things that the team/coach/players had to deal with in regards to their highly praised diva goalie, should not be downplayed in any way.

Its clear that the "issues" were there for multiple years, and that it simply hit a head last year during a time that the CBJ team were more dangerous than they ever have been in franchise history.

Sad that there's even a SINGLE Bobrovsky Fan still on this board.

The "Hug" meant NOTHING AT ALL. Literally PR.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Thanks for sharing.

Why do these (unrelated to hockey and adding nothing) back and forth's occur with you?

What exactly about the "audio" of the hugs makes what I say, "bullshit"...???

And no, a link to some unrelated term or "fallacy" on Wikipedia, without actually explaining WHY what I've said IS a "fallacy", will not be considered sufficient.

You're Welcome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad