News Article: ‘Drama club’: Last season or, the ‘other’ Bob and Bread thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I get a lot of what you have to say about Panarin (or more so the situation) being a distraction. I'd argue though, that this was almost entirely out of his control. Its safe to say most of what, we the public, got from Panarin was a lot of "PR", essentially a very nice and possibly overly-soft "thanks but no thanks". But, especially with the new comments from Atkinson, lets not act like HE actually did anything to distract the team. Its seems to be the case that while the fans got a "maybe", the other players and Jarmo got a, "Yes I'm gone".

Completely agree. Most of it was out of his control. However, he did express he didn't want to be traded, essentially pigeonholing Jarmo into going all in or getting the fans and team pissed at him.

You (and others) are ridiculously downplaying the incident(S) with Bobrovsky, who i may add WAS (feels good) THE TEAMS HIGH PAID STARTING GOALIE.

It WAS NOT "just" the incident in TB. He was literally late for "practice" at least once, if not twice if I believe.

ALSO, do people not remember his PLAY IN REGULAR SEASON GAMES to start the year? That's where the REAL story developed, as that's why Korpisalo was getting starts AND PLAYING WELL at the very beginning of the year, when he was NAMED the starter for 1 game.

I don't recall any missed or late practices aside from I think the first day of training camp. Which while not a good thing, isn't the end of the world. It just added to the distraction he brought. The incident in Tampa far exceeds this issue.

His play at the start of the regular season has usually always lacked, and he picks it up around December. He's always been a slow starter. Was the Korpisalo start in Detroit a message? Yeah, probably, but Korpi had a chance to stake his claim to the position and ease the concerns of the front office, and he was just OK last year. He had some really good games, and some really bad ones, which has been the tale of the tape in his career. The team did table contracts to Bob, worth up to 9+ million per season. He said no, they wouldn't have tabled these offers if they didn't have some interest in retaining him. Did they go all out to try to keep him like they did Panarin? No, but they still liked and wanted to keep the player.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
07d46-mad-men-gif-not-great-bob-1.gif

Reactions: CBJ AZ goalie

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
This thread has had lots of debate about the negative impact last season on the attitudes of players and the impact that will have on the team going forward (some view as positive).

I have to think this is all overlooking something else that overshadowed the locker room for a portion of the season - Nick Foligno and his family. I get it these guys are professionals but at a point they're also family since they spend so much time together. To a have a leader and mate go through what Nick went through with his family must have weighed on the team.

I would expect that absent those issues (we can hope for their family's sake) that this would improve the team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This thread has had lots of debate about the negative impact last season on the attitudes of players and the impact that will have on the team going forward (some view as positive).

I have to think this is all overlooking something else that overshadowed the locker room for a portion of the season - Nick Foligno and his family. I get it these guys are professionals but at a point they're also family since they spend so much time together. To a have a leader and mate go through what Nick went through with his family must have weighed on the team.

I would expect that absent those issues (we can hope for their family's sake) that this would improve the team.

I'm going to doubt that Foligno's personal problems negatively impacted the team's play. If anything, these type of things are a rallying point.

Petulant and spoiled multi millionaire soon to be $70 million + contracted mega millionaires on the other hand...............................................................

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

Heres his yesterday's interview that reveals several things:

1) he did praise Columbus for being a nice city. "Columbus isnt even a top 10 city in the US yet its very livable" (compared to russian sub 10 cities)

2) at the end he reveals the reason behind singing with Rangers. The important part here is that he never considered resigning in Cbus. Him and his gf were comparing several cities and settled for NYC. He swears that his GF had no part in his decision making

Last edited by a moderator:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just seeing now that my post was truncated, mid-sentence, without a note from the mods. Not cool team. You have to say that it was cut off if you cut it off. Though in this case I'd rather it just be deleted than leave a half sentence dangling out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Just seeing now that my post was truncated, mid-sentence, without a note from the mods. Not cool team. You have to say that it was cut off if you cut it off. Though in this case I'd rather it just be deleted than leave a half sentence dangling out there.

Yes. I also liked some other things as well. Things that I cant mention here but you know what they are

Reactions: majormajor

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Guessing after that interview that panarin isnt going back to the motherland anytime soon...

If he "disappeared" do rags get cap relief?

I would even say that it could be unsafe for him to face OV, Malkin and maybe some others after such an interview

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Going from the interview posted above, it's pretty clear that Panarin loves to talk. And talk. And talk.

His "I no speaka the language" crap of the last few seasons must have gone over big with his teammates.

Good riddance to him.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Going from the interview posted above, it's pretty clear that Panarin loves to talk. And talk. And talk.

His "I no speaka the language" crap of the last few seasons must have gone over big with his teammates.

Good riddance to him.

I can honestly say at this point (Putin interview or not) I'm quite surprised how much I really don't care about the loss of Panarin.

And that's not July talking.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Good riddance to him.
You do understand what as posted was in Russian and translated over? I've never seen him say anything about not understanding Russian.

Panarin is a smart kid and good temperament. He played hard here and produced for 2 seasons. No one seems to have a problem with him except the butt-hurt fans.

Also I'm pretty certain he knew better than to speak about politics before he got his contract. Probably foolish of him to speak out at all, but made much more sense to discuss after you have $80M in bank.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He actually COMPLIMENTS Columbus there and folks are still turning this into "he's an ass."

Some of us quite literally couldn't care less about his personal feelings about (living in) the city of Columbus, or even really his supposed perception of the team or franchise's history and/or "worthiness".

Him playing well and being professional on the ice is why I do not have the negative feelings for Panarin that I do Bobrovsky. And while I also think Panarin is MUCH more impactful/valuable to a team than Bobby is, I ALSO think his impact he has on the team, mainly him being OFF the team is being blown out of proportion by many people.

One man's "mediocre" is another man's "great".

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
There is no perfect working environment, it just doesn't happen. There is always some tension and drama behind the scenes. The unfortunately thing was that Bob brought it out. But it was taken care of and the guys came together as a team and fought well. In the end they lost but they lost as a team. That's what I saw anyway. If others see it differently then so be it. But there will be drama next season also. Most likely we just wont know about it. And I would like to add that I believe management did the right thing keeping them on as long as they could + adding Duch and Dez. A gamble I hope they will do again if it means we get a chance to compete. Never hold back Jackets! Only way to have a chance to win it all!!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

"Columbus" constantly tried to conclude a contract, even after the removal "

- When did the discord in your relationship with Blue Jackets come about and what was the starting point?
- Probably after the playoffs with Washington. I do not want to delve into the dirty laundry, for me this is an inverted page, now I look forward, my heart belongs to Florida. As for Columbus, I am grateful to both the guys and the organizations for the seven years I have spent there. We had both ups and downs. All that was, that was. We shook hands with the general manager, with the head coach and our paths diverged.

- Was there any chance for you to extend the contract with the club?
- To be honest, no. I felt that I needed a change. This is not only because of the friction with the club or the team, my heart just said that it was time to open new horizons.

- Was it difficult to withstand last season - all the attacks of journalists, daily questions, negotiations?
- Psychologically it was hard, especially at the beginning of the season. It was not a comfortable situation, there were conflicts within the team, a lot of meetings, meetings because of me, disqualification, there were still a few stories. But, I am a professional, I worked in good faith on myself and tried to win every game.

- Do you regret that you said before the beginning of the training camp that you might leave the club? The same Panarin never directly said that he would not renew the contract with Columbus, and they did not pressure him so.
- Artemy also hinted that there would be no more in the summer. Maybe I got more, but I was honest with myself. I told the management after the 2017/18 season that I wouldn’t stay at the club, they didn’t react to that, on the contrary, they began to talk more about contract renewal. Of course, you might think why I created the problem for myself by informing everyone in advance about the solution. But, on the other hand, I am such a person, honestly informed about my plans and did not play any backstage games. It would be harder for me to look in the mirror if I told everyone that I would stay first, and at the end I was leaving.

In January, everyone was struck by the incident when you were not declared for the match with Nashville, arguing that you could not meet the values and standards of Columbus. How did you perceive that situation and what was your reaction to it?
- You know, for me it was funny. And the press release was some kind of frivolous, and in general the whole situation seemed funny to me. Yes, I acted emotionally in that situation.

- Are you talking about the episode when you left the bench after replacing the match with “Tampa”?
- Yes. Attitude leaves its mark. On that trip we played with “Caroline”, I was changed when the score was 1: 3. Moreover, the rolls were 25-8 in favor of the opponent, they constantly played in our zone. Usually, when the score is 1: 3, the goalkeeper does not change. Tortorella does not change the goalkeeper at all, even with the score 4: 0, gives play. This is a plus and a minus for him - when eight are scored, he does not change. Haha And there it is time. With a score of 1: 3 replacement for me was wild. But okay, he endured, did not react at all. In the next match, we beat Florida, and then there was the game with Tampa. I scored the fourth goal, until the end remained eight minutes, and after the replacement I went to the locker room. Plus, we should not forget that not everything was smooth before this trip.

- There were rumors that the club publicly told about the incident, so that you remove the point on the ban on exchange. Is it so?
- The most interesting thing is that the club constantly tried to conclude a new contract with me. Even after this situation there have been attempts. About the item on the ban on exchange, why should I take it off? I worked for this status, I trained a lot. Why should I refuse this item and allow the club to exchange me where they want? It was not profitable for me, so I didn’t understand the logic of Columbus for a bit.

“Your agent, Paul Theophanos, then flew to the meeting with Jarmo Kekäläinen.” Just had a discussion of this incident?
- I think they talked about this situation and the future. The temperature there was quite high. Especially in this period. There was plenty of stress.
“With Tortorella more than once there were hilarious conversations on high tones”

- How did you manage to make the best playoffs in your career after so much stress?
- After the deadline, when nothing could be changed, the situation was discharged. We had a series of defeats in March, we couldn’t get to the playoff zone until the last moment, we had to mobilize all forces. Plus, I kept in mind the Columbus fans, who were nothing to do with, for their sake it was necessary to play decently.

- Are you proud of how you played this playoff?
- The goalkeeper is always in sight. Sometimes he gets the most criticism, and sometimes more than all the glory. But hockey is a team game. No goalkeeper will look great if the team in front of him does not play well in defense. I would note all the guys, they were all great: they fought hard, closed the most dangerous guys from Tampa (Kucherov, Stemkos), allowing me to focus on one roll. A reliable game in defense relaxes the goalkeeper’s head, it becomes calmer. It happened to me.
- When I spoke with the Russian guys from Tampa, they said that they were not ready for the playoffs, and the Columbus players went hungry to win. Did it help you get past your favorite?
- Do not forget that we have been fighting for the last month, we all had games like in the playoffs. “Tampa” for the month knew that it would be the first, and for us every point was worth its weight in gold. I think it left its mark. Plus, all the pressure was on them, well, I do not detract from the merits of our guys who deserve to win. We all rallied. It was a memorable victory.

“This is the best I've seen in his performance since I work here. And it certainly happened at a very important time, ”such a compliment was from Tortorella. Were such words important from you to the coach, who rarely says good things about his players?
- Torts has its advantages and disadvantages. He is what he is. Impulsive. He says he thinks. At its position, it behaves as it considers correct. There were moments when, in the regular season, he praised. There were moments when he criticized, could do it at a press conference or in the locker room with a team. I did not agree with his opinion and because of this we often had cheerful conversations on high tones.

- Did you have any friction because of this?
- We had different situations, but I do not want to take it out of the locker room.

“Did Tortorella have this to everyone?”
- He behaves with everyone like that. If he does not like the behavior of a player, then he will put pressure on him. But he has many advantages. It was with the arrival of Tortsa that the team began to play in a new way. He set discipline. He demanded the maximum from each player. We began to constantly go to the playoffs. He is also a subtle psychologist and a very strong motivator.

After the series with “Washington” there was talk that you need a psychologist. You then reacted very keenly to this. You do not need a psychologist?
- Not that sharp. It was just strange for me. It's one thing when you are criticized from the outside, people from the outside, and another thing when your own club is raising a wave of criticism in your address. From the age of 21 I have my own psychologist, my physiotherapist, and so on. Every season I surrender to the maximum. And the statements of Columbus showed their insecurity in me. Of course, I did not like it. In general, I am good about constructive criticism, but when do people put a finger at you and try to justify themselves to the fans, instead of supporting them? This position is incomprehensible to me, especially since we are sailing further in the same boat for the next season.

- Did firing goalkeeping coach Ian Clark spoil your relationship with the club too? You did not want him to leave. - I don’t know what happened to the club with the coach, they didn’t explain to me, and I couldn’t influence the situation.
“Originally wanted to go to one club with Panarin”

- In Columbus, Panarin was lured by free vodka and dentistry. Sad that billboards didn't prepare for you? - No, people in Columbus treated me very well and paid me enough attention. Therefore, I was absolutely normal about this, was happy for him and laughed with everyone.

- Did you really at a certain stage want to go with Panarin to one club?
- Yes, we initially had such thoughts. But again, life has put everything in its place. I think we both did the right thing. Artemy is happy at the Rangers, and I'm at Florida.

«Коламбус меня отстранил, а потом предлагал контракт». Бобровский — о $70 млн, Панарине и Америке

(You need to Google translate the article)

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

Being overly sensitive and being that easily offended is quite sad my dear Bob. Also lets face it: Bob was idd a major choker in most of the PO's.

This interview also mentions his absolutely insane workout schedule. He basically never stops and has long, multiple daily workouts, even during the holiday. I wonder what his career will be like in FL. Anything is possible, however a collapse is unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->