Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Bruins are deep on offense this season, don't fall into the 13 year old Toronto mindset of 'DOOD WE NEED MORE OFFENSE'.

No. They're top tier in goal scoring already and have a goalie that is on pace to win a Vezina.

If anything. Get Pasta signed and try to add a defenseman. I would love another top 4 D but I don't see that happening.

We'll see how many more rabbits Sweeney has.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
All I want to say, is as much as I love the Bruins, the team, as presently structured is not tough enough to win 16 playoff games. You have to shelter soft players , our D concerns me. I truly feel an impact trade needs to be made. Carlo and Forbort need to remain to handle the heavy work but we need another D for the PK to not have to ask our top two D 27.and 73 spending to much time doing the heavy work
Bruins this season are way better structured. Return of Krejci helped a lot. Zacha looks a better fit than Haula. Foligno not sucking like last season is a nice surprise as well. In terms of balance the lines are deep and can keep the pressure on an opposing team.
However the game with Arizona or Vegas has shown that if Bruins are matched in skating and intensity they are beatable.

The real concern is D. It really has not improved that much over the last 2 seasons. Grzelcyk has proved he is not a top 4 D. Either he got outmuscled or injured in the playoffs. Clifton is a great depth guy but has no skill or size to be on a cup winning team. Forbort is purely a human buffer who sacrifices his body on PK. Carlo can be injury prone and does crack if he is asked to do too much or if he has to cover for a small /undersized D partner. McAvoy and Lindholm are good but not great. Neither or them can clean 6 ft 4 220lb body from the blue paint. Also their role on the PP is just to distribute the puck, neither ever takes a slap shot, occasionally a wrist shot if the goalie is screened.
The ideal D candidate would be a top 4 left D with a big body, with a hard slap shot and not afraid to move opposing forward out of the blue paint on PK. If by that description came to your mind a prime Chara it's just a pure coincidence.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
All I want to say, is as much as I love the Bruins, the team, as presently structured is not tough enough to win 16 playoff games. You have to shelter soft players , our D concerns me. I truly feel an impact trade needs to be made. Carlo and Forbort need to remain to handle the heavy work but we need another D for the PK to not have to ask our top two D 27.and 73 spending to much time doing the heavy work

This is kind of dumb. Im being kind with the “kind of”.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Bruins this season are way better structured. Return of Krejci helped a lot. Zacha looks a better fit than Haula. Foligno not sucking like last season is a nice surprise as well. In terms of balance the lines are deep and can keep the pressure on an opposing team.
However the game with Arizona or Vegas has shown that if Bruins are matched in skating and intensity they are beatable.

The real concern is D. It really has not improved that much over the last 2 seasons. Grzelcyk has proved he is not a top 4 D. Either he got outmuscled or injured in the playoffs. Clifton is a great depth guy but has no skill or size to be on a cup winning team. Forbort is purely a human buffer who sacrifices his body on PK. Carlo can be injury prone and does crack if he is asked to do too much or if he has to cover for a small /undersized D partner. McAvoy and Lindholm are good but not great. Neither or them can clean 6 ft 4 220lb body from the blue paint. Also their role on the PP is just to distribute the puck, neither ever takes a slap shot, occasionally a wrist shot if the goalie is screened.
The ideal D candidate would be a top 4 left D with a big body, with a hard slap shot and not afraid to move opposing forward out of the blue paint on PK. If by that description came to your mind a prime Chara it's just a pure coincidence.
Actually, it was prime Iafrate.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
This is kind of dumb. Im being kind with the “kind of”.
He just wants Grizz traded.

We know - you want Grizz traded.

• Haha
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
If WAS is out of it I could see Lars Eller here as a utility guy. As much as I disliked him on the Habs and Was teams, he can play heavy. Despite his down year I would love to see RoR here.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
How about big knuckle draggers who CAN keep up? Don't ask me who. The problem is (and you've probably figured this out) I'm seldom happy.
It's tough to be this way but it's gotten me a long way in life.
Honestly, you (and Gordon Howe) are correct and I know that!
Happy New Year, it's gonna be a blast!
I would love a pure tough guy who could skate well. They are few and far between right now. Kastellic in Ottawa can skate, hit and fight but i can't see Ottawa letting him go. Deslauiers and MacEwen in Philadelphia can fight and skate, Deslauriers also has pretty good hockey sense, MacEwen doesn't but can go and is a RW but Greer to me is a better option.

if they wanted pure toughness they should have gone after Reaves, i would have whole heartedly supported this move.

Grizz is the option to move, too small for the playoffs and injury prone. Get Jake McCabe or a similar D who has better size, can kill penalties and hit, and yes I know McCabe is injury prone as well. I would also see if Vancouver would take Zboril for Burroughs.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I would love a pure tough guy who could skate well. They are few and far between right now. Kastellic in Ottawa can skate, hit and fight but i can't see Ottawa letting him go. Deslauiers and MacEwen in Philadelphia can fight and skate, Deslauriers also has pretty good hockey sense, MacEwen doesn't but can go and is a RW but Greer to me is a better option.

if they wanted pure toughness they should have gone after Reaves, i would have whole heartedly supported this move.

Grizz is the option to move, too small for the playoffs and injury prone. Get Jake McCabe or a similar D who has better size, can kill penalties and hit, and yes I know McCabe is injury prone as well. I would also see if Vancouver would take Zboril for Burroughs.
Why are we trying to add bad hockey players to the lineup on purpose? Reaves, Macewan, Deslauriers are three of the worst forwards in all of hockey.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Don't want to be a wet blanket but

This team is made for the regular season ,unless we add some physical pieces I doubt we go far in the playoffs.

This fourth line is terrible and go out to be not scored on and give the top three lines a rest, nothing more. They do nothing in terms of being game or momentum changers when needed.

They don't hit they don't score they do nothing. you need a good fourth line to win a cup.

Also need to add an ***hole on D

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

This team is made for the regular season ,unless we add some physical pieces I doubt we go far in the playoffs.

This fourth line is terrible and go out to be not scored on and give the top three lines a rest, nothing more. They do nothing in terms of being game or momentum changers when needed.

They don't hit they don't score they do nothing. you need a good fourth line to win a cup.

Foligno-Nosek-Greer has a 59% xGF, 27th best line in the league for lines that have played 75 minutes. 26th is Hall-Coyle-Frederic to give you an idea.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

You watching a different 4th line than me? Foligno is on pace for like 40 points. Greer hits and fights and scores a bit for a forth liner and Nosek is a great penalty killer.

Imagine having a #1 defenseman on your favorite team who only just turned 25, has the best +/- of anyone who plays his position since he's been in the league, has finished top 5 in Norris votes two seasons in a row, and thinking he's not great.

And then add in lindholm and saying he makes no difference from two years ago. Crazyness.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

If this team's biggest weakness in the postseason if their 4th line needs and it basically being nothing but a kill 8 minutes a night hopefully with a net zero, then I like their chances.

right now the top 3 lines are somewhere between very good and elite.

the defense is very good, and the goaltending is likely very good to elite.

Could they use a 3/4 RW who can drop Greer to 13th forward, sure .

Could they use a 6/7 defenseman who is physical, and play some if needed, sure.

Mostly the most important factor as to whether this team goes far in the postseason, is health

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If this team's biggest weakness in the postseason if their 4th line needs and it basically being nothing but a kill 8 minutes a night hopefully with a net zero, then I like their chances.

right now the top 3 lines are somewhere between very good and elite.

the defense is very good, and the goaltending is likely very good to elite.

Could they use a 3/4 RW who can drop Greer to 13th forward, sure .

Could they use a 6/7 defenseman who is physical, and play some if needed, sure.

Mostly the most important factor as to whether this team goes far in the postseason, is health

Health and luck. Two things that for the most part are out of a team's control.

As it stands right now, the team is built very well. Depth all around. Top end skill. Gritty vets. Just stay healthy, keep playing well, and hope the bounces go their way when it matters.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
If WAS is out of it I could see Lars Eller here as a utility guy. As much as I disliked him on the Habs and Was teams, he can play heavy. Despite his down year I would love to see RoR here.
Washington unfortunately makes it with a bullet, I think. Still, I agree about Eller. He can play any style and center or left wing. He probably could play rw too, which would be preferable.

Reactions: bb74

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Imagine having a #1 defenseman on your favorite team who only just turned 25, has the best +/- of anyone who plays his position since he's been in the league, has finished top 5 in Norris votes two seasons in a row, and thinking he's not great.
And then add in lindholm and saying he makes no difference from two years ago. Crazyness.
1 PP goal combined between two of them is not much of greatness.
Lindholm's slapshot is underwhelmed. McAvoy's slapshot is most of the time either blocked or not accurate.

• Haha

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Lindholm's slapshot is underwhelmed. McAvoy's slapshot is most of the time either blocked or not accurate.

3rd best pp % in the entire league. Seems like thet are doing pretty well in their roles.

McAvoy is tied for 16th in the league in pp points for defenseman despite playing about 10 games less than everyone in front of him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
There are 20 dmen with more than 1 PP goal this year. It's rarely the Dmens job to be a shooter on the PP.

Reactions: KurtDangle

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
3rd best pp % in the entire league. Seems like thet are doing pretty well in their roles.

McAvoy is tied for 16th in the league in pp points for defenseman despite playing about 10 games less than everyone in front of him.
Last time McAvoy has scored in the playoffs was during the cup run in 2019. Still sporting the total number of 2 goals in 71 playoff games.
Lindholm has the total number of 1 goal in 59 playoff games. He has scored it in 2018. :help:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Slap shots. Something Monty’s system is wisely staying away from. Al Iafrate where have you gone?!?

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Last time McAvoy has scored in the playoffs was during the cup run in 2019. Still sporting the total number of 2 goals in 71 playoff games.
Lindholm has the total number of 1 goal in 59 playoff games. He has scored it in 2018. :help:
PP goals.

• Haha
Reactions: PB37

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Trade time? Is it broken? Do you fix what isn't broken? Of course you can improve the team by getting a top scorer on rent or a top defenseman on rent. What will be the price and the disturbance to the team for this improvement? We are not the NJ Devils with money and space and fighting to be the top team. I think maybe a minor change for change sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad