Speculation: Райан О'Рейли: Here's my number, so call me maybe; Rayan's IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Where does a first round pick start in the RFA compensation? I can't find the new chart.

I don't think there's a new one.

Salary Compensation
Under $1.11MM No compensation
$1.11 to $1.68MM 1 third-round pick
$1.68 to $3.36MM 1 second-round pick
$3.36 to $5.05MM 1 first and 1 third
$5.05 to $6.72MM 1 first, 1 second, 1 third
$6.72 to $8.41MM 2 firsts, 1 second, 1 third
$8.41MM+ 4 first-rounders

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Where does a first round pick start in the RFA compensation? I can't find the new chart.

Don't forget it is still averaged over 5 years, so if they got 6 or 7 we go up a bracket most likely.

I'm pretty annoyed they didn't lower the average (or I didn't see if they did) since 5 years is close to the max contracts will be now.

RFA compensation should average over 4 years now, rather than 5. So a 5 year contract at 5 per would be 6.25 comp rather than 5. And 7.5 if 5x6 for instance.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Sherman would be high-fiving everyone in the Office cause that would mean O'Reilly caved.
I don't think the Avs have a problem in matching an offer-sheet cause then in future negotiations they can point out that they were handcuffed and had to pay him.
And that is why O'Reilly won't sign an offer-sheet. He knows the Avs will match and O'Reilly no likey.

So based on the rumours ROR doesn't really have any options at all.

Sign with the Avs who he apparently doesn't like and won't do it.
Sign an offer sheet which the Avs would probably match leaving him 'stuck' with the Avs which again he doesn't like.
Finally just sit and wait until he hits the age where he is a UFA but at this stage he'll probably have fallen into the abyss and no-one will remember him.

Tough break

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Sign an offer sheet which the Avs would probably match leaving him 'stuck' with the Avs which again he doesn't like.
Finally just sit and wait until he hits the age where he is a UFA but at this stage he'll probably have fallen into the abyss and no-one will remember him.

Tough break

That is pretty much it, and that is why the Avs are not budging. They know that they hold all the cards (especially with this season being a total throwaway).

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA

Tough break

Do we really believe O'Reilly "doesn't like" the Avs? I mean, if this is a negotation ploy and he ends up getting paid by the Avs, does anybody really think he'll become this locker room cancer?

Granted, I do not believe he'll sign an offer sheet with anybody but if you believe the rumors then his camp certainly understands that by doing so the Avs could and should very likely match. If he gets the money he is looking for, I don't see him pouting and mailing it in. I think he'll be happy he got paid and happy to be playing in the NHL again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do we really believe O'Reilly "doesn't like" the Avs? I mean, if this is a negotation ploy and he ends up getting paid by the Avs, does anybody really think he'll become this locker room cancer?

Granted, I do not believe he'll sign an offer sheet with anybody but if you believe the rumors then his camp certainly understands that by doing so the Avs could and should very likely match. If he gets the money he is looking for, I don't see him pouting and mailing it in. I think he'll be happy he got paid and happy to be playing in the NHL again.

I think this would be the case. The biggest issue IMO would be at the end of the contract you pretty much know that he would be gone (I assume any offersheet will be 5 years) because he doesn't want to go through the process with this management again.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005

I don't think he "doesn't like" the Avs at all. I think if he does end up under contract with the Avs, all of this will be put behind everyone fairly quickly.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Tough break

Would add:
Have Agent convince a team to give the Avs a trade offer they can't refuse.
Wait until summer (but lose a service year) and give everyone time to cool down then reopen negotiations with the Avs and sign a nice deal for both sides (thinking 5+ @4m +/- would be great!)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
LeBrun said on TSN radio (link The TSN Radio 690 Montreal - Melnick in the Afternoon February 14th link, towards the end and sadly I don't know how to fast forward so you'll have to listen for 60 mins to get to it) that many teams had called, including Pens and Flyers. He said that Ottawa was the team that had pushed hardest of the teams that called.

For Avs, the absolutely best scenario is that they a very solid offer early and can use that to force any other interested team to top it.

ThunderBird

Mar 28, 2011
I don't think he "doesn't like" the Avs at all. I think if he does end up under contract with the Avs, all of this will be put behind everyone fairly quickly.

I don't like to think that also but TPS said he wouldn't sign an offer sheet.

So the two reasons he wouldn't sign an offer sheet are:

1) Doesn't want to play for the Avs.
2) No one is willing to pay the salary he desires.

If #2 is the reason then why wouldn't he sign the Avs offer? Refer to reason #1.

Also his salary demands can effect his trade value. The higher they are, the fewer teams that are willing to pay, the lower the return.

Also I would not be suprised if at some point this season ROR signs the deal on the table so he becomes a UFA 1 yr sooner. Then next year he will have another year to prove his worth, and management can gauge his offensive abilities.

Last edited:

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Another reason could be because he actually doesn't want to play for another team.

Don't want to just throw him under the bus.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Well I guess it will come to a point where ROR will have to sign an OS.
I don't think he can afford to lose one year of payment AND 2 years of UFA.

So we better be prepared.

I doubt he'd signed ANY offer sheet. I believe Avs management would WELCOME an offer sheet with open arms.

Here's the REAL deal: we just went through a stupid, horrible lockout and for what? So that teams can start doing this sort of non-sense all over again (no surprise though). If ANY team out there wants to give RoR an offer sheet, that's fine but much like the Sabres did with Vanek, the Avs would match it and quickly point out that THEY are not the ones driving up salaries for players coming out of ELCs. This is important because we just don't know what the Avs were saying at board of governors meetings and what not but if history is any indicator, this has been an issue with them for a while. The Avs are just not a team that pays MORE for players than THEY think they are worth (right or wrong) and they are not a team that pays players based on potential.

As the David Jones contract illustrates, it's not that they don't want to spend the money, it's that they don't want RoR to turn into another Paul Stastny situation (too much money, too soon) and that's their M.O., I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it (because I would have signed RoR a frikkin' long time ago) but at least, I understand it.

Bingo. We match, everybody moves forward. Time heals all wounds.

Yeah pretty much but I doubt it, unfortunately.

It's funny because you think anyone in here is old enough to know who either of those are :sarcasm:

Piss off!

;)

I hope O'Reilly signs an offer sheet for 2 years $3.6M and the Avs let him walk. Gotta stick to your convictions.

Again, it would be someone ELSE paying him that money and between the return of a crappy 1st and a 3rd or keeping the player/asset, they would keep the asset.

Sherman would be high-fiving everyone in the Office cause that would mean O'Reilly caved.
I don't think the Avs have a problem in matching an offer-sheet cause then in future negotiations they can point out that they were handcuffed and had to pay him.
And that is why O'Reilly won't sign an offer-sheet. He knows the Avs will match and O'Reilly no likey.

Yup.

Would add:
Have Agent convince a team to give the Avs a trade offer they can't refuse.
Wait until summer (but lose a service year) and give everyone time to cool down then reopen negotiations with the Avs and sign a nice deal for both sides (thinking 5+ @4m +/- would be great!)

I think if RoR loses the whole year of service, he'd be even less open to re-negotiating with the Avs. I think the odds of him just re-signing with us is less than 1% (offer sheet notwithstanding).

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I posted this in the GDT, but with the way Duchene is playing right now it is such a shame that is is happening. Dutch and ROR down the middle for the next decade would be an unbelievable duo. This is setting the rebuild back. Shame on both sides, we were building something good here.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
If only Sherm had some connections with a team out East that would offer sheet O'Reilly. Kind of like the Flyers and Nashville with Weber. It's a conspiracy I tell you!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One of the can't be named on here is putting out Flyers, NYI, Leafs, and Caps... says it will be soon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How about O'reilly to Tampa for Carle and a 2nd rounder?

31056298.jpg

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I don't think there's a new one.
Okay, thanks!
Don't forget it is still averaged over 5 years, so if they got 6 or 7 we go up a bracket most likely.

I'm pretty annoyed they didn't lower the average (or I didn't see if they did) since 5 years is close to the max contracts will be now.

RFA compensation should average over 4 years now, rather than 5. So a 5 year contract at 5 per would be 6.25 comp rather than 5. And 7.5 if 5x6 for instance.
I'm more worried about a one year agreement than a long term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad