Speculation: Райан О'Рейли: Here's my number, so call me maybe; Rayan's IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
One of the Leafs "trade board informants" (can't say who) says that the Leafs have an offer sheet already prepared for him. The tweets that people couldn't figure out about tonight's Leafs game having an effect presumably are about figuring out whether they can go without the 1st round pick or not.

I think the same way.
And I can see us getting something like Kulemin (2006 draft), Percy and a 1st for basically not matching the OS.

Boy would I be fuming...
If a deal like that goes down, I call dibs on the Fire everyone but Sakic thread!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Avs would match any reasonable offer sheet and use the 12 months they can't trade him to patch things up/boost his value.

Taking a mid first and second round pick isn't an option here.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I don't buy that Avs out of the blue decide to insult O'Reilly. I think it's more likely that during exchanges where O'Reilly's agent tried to pump his tires and Avs tries to deflate them, O'Reilly took it personal instead of as business.

I have no idea why his agent didn't protect him, if he's this sensitive.

Easy answer: that agency made a play at redefining the 2nd contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I personally welcome an offer sheet. Anything that isn't totally outrageous will be matched. The worst part is that you couldn't trade him for a year. Which may not be a bad thing either, it allows emotions to settle.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I think Avs would match any reasonable offer sheet and use the 12 months they can't trade him to patch things up/boost his value.

Taking a mid first and second round pick isn't an option here.

I feel like things could get ugly though. I just hope ROR doesn't use a potential offersheet as a trade facilitator or **** will hit the fan.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Pens would be a great trade parter since they have a ton of defenseman prospect. But I guess they were looking at Setoguchi. If anyone on our team it would most likely have been McGinn I guess. No way they would take Jones and his ugly contract.

their top defense guys are the same, offensive guys who can skate and score but don't defend really well. not physical, not imposing, just average.
we already have that in Barrie and Elliot. even Chouinard is that type of defensemen. Siemens is the main major defense first type that we have and he's had his head up his ass for the past few seasons.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
I honestly thought that the whole point of being at the cap floor was to be able to pay our young players and build as a team.

I'm quite sad.
our young players are well compensated and your friend has made a pretty healthy living from them even if he never plays another game in the league

What, did they call him mom fat, or his dad an idiot (that is being proven true, though). No, I truly doubt they ever insulted him. Pointing out deficiencies in his game, which is completely legitimate in contract negotiations, isn't anything that should be taken as an insult. Sounds like the guy is just a cry baby. I'd hate to see what would happen if he ever had to go to arbitration.

probably just told him their merch figures show Duchene branded product outperforming his 5 to 1

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If all the Avs got back was a first and third for O'Reilly I'd go *******.

I don't like this management team, but if the reported price is a top six forward and top prospect, then I'm reasonably confident they'll sit back and wait until someone gives up exactly that. I don't see them settling for a 1st/3rd. The market for a player like O'Reilly is strong.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel like things could get ugly though. I just hope ROR doesn't use a potential offersheet as a trade facilitator or **** will hit the fan.

TPS has said in the past that O'Reilly wouldn't sign an offer sheet, but I have to wonder if that has changed recently, or if it could if the Avs drag this out all season waiting for the right deal to present itself.

There's been some rumors in the last couple days that O'Reilly's camp may have asked for a trade, but who knows if that's true. I wouldn't blame him, and even though I think he should have, and still should just sign the bridge deal the Avs are offering, I wouldn't blame him necessarily for signing an offer sheet just to get this over with.

I absolutely hate the idea of losing O'Reilly to an offer sheet, or having to trade him with a $5M long term salary if they match a crazy offer sheet. You'd get value back on an offer sheet with a 1st and a 3rd, but unless it's from a bottom dweller team, that's not going to help address the problem with this team.

That's potentially a mid to late round pick in the 1st, but they don't need underrated talented guys that fill a role somewhere down the line if and when they develop. They have depth, and they have complimentary guys, What they need is a big piece to the puzzle, especially when they're giving up a big piece to the old puzzle in O'Reilly.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well I guess it will come to a point where ROR will have to sign an OS.
I don't think he can afford to lose one year of payment AND 2 years of UFA.

So we better be prepared.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
I personally welcome an offer sheet. Anything that isn't totally outrageous will be matched. The worst part is that you couldn't trade him for a year. Which may not be a bad thing either, it allows emotions to settle.

Bingo. We match, everybody moves forward. Time heals all wounds.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Well I guess it will come to a point where ROR will have to sign an OS.
I don't think he can afford to lose one year of payment AND 2 years of UFA.

So we better be prepared.

personally i hope he does sign a OS. either he signs for basically what we offered and for a longer term and we match. or he signs for a crazy amount that ensures we won't match but then we get picks.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I agree with others, an offer sheet is good. There is no way the ROR camp can't know that the draft pick compensation isn't strong enough of a return for the Avs. They essentially be using the Leafs as an arbitrator to determine his new contract and force the Avs hand in resigning him.

And again if the Avs let him go for picks or an inferior "don't match" deal such as the ones others have gotten in similar situations just because they are standing on some sort of principle/grudge then I am going to be livid.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
It's funny because you think anyone in here is old enough to know who either of those are :sarcasm:

3894306835_76da8a00ce_z.jpg

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
I hope O'Reilly signs an offer sheet for 2 years $3.6M and the Avs let him walk. Gotta stick to your convictions.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Rayan just gained some leverage in the contract talks...

If he leaves Colorado, expect a Meteoroid to hit Denver a couple of weeks later.

In other words, don't let ROR leave Denver if you want to live Greg.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I hope O'Reilly signs an offer sheet for 2 years $3.6M and the Avs let him walk. Gotta stick to your convictions.

Sherman would be high-fiving everyone in the Office cause that would mean O'Reilly caved.
I don't think the Avs have a problem in matching an offer-sheet cause then in future negotiations they can point out that they were handcuffed and had to pay him.
And that is why O'Reilly won't sign an offer-sheet. He knows the Avs will match and O'Reilly no likey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad