zzz Habs lose 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I second that. And I'm giving De La Rose one more game before being sent down and never playing one more game with the Habs.

Offensive black hole

I don't understand why everybody's drooling over BigMac who has 6 points in 35 NHL games but consider DLR an offensive black hole with 7 P in 55GP.

That's 0.17 PPG against 0.13 PPG ...

DLR is younger than BigMac !

Give this kid a chance , jeez

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I don't understand why everybody's drooling over BigMac who has 6 points in 35 NHL games but consider DLR an offensive black hole with 7 P in 55GP.

Because one of them is really heavy and makes his presence felt while the other one is evolving into an even more invisible version of the current Plekanec?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Honestly watched the game mostly in FFWD as it was quite boring

Did MT shuffle the lines at all? Nothing was clicking for anyone from what I saw, just wondering if he tried to mix it up

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
One of these days the team's and Price cross-connection will finally connect and we'll have an outstanding game by both. Instead of this Price is great but the team sucks or the team is great but Price sucks mode we've been going through.

That latter hardly ever ever happens.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

If you put the calculator away and scout the two players without it.....you'll answer your own question.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
DLR does not use his size to his advantage and he is not an especially skilled player, so what does he actually bring to the CH?

At this point, I'd rather see Flynn dressed every night instead of him

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting stat I heard on the radio this morning. Habs had 18 shots yesterday. 9 were from defensemen while the other 9 were from he forwards. Out of the 9 forward shots, 8 of them came from the Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov line. So the other three lines (9 players) combined for 1 shot.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Interesting stat I heard on the radio this morning. Habs had 18 shots yesterday. 9 were from defensemen while the other 9 were from he forwards. Out of the 9 forward shots, 8 of them came from the Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov line. So the other three lines (9 players) combined for 1 shot.

Coach will get the blender out.

His response.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Ouch. Hail the All Mighty DeKeyser, fear the Barbarian Kronwall. Masters of Shot Suppression.

Not.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Galchenyuk played 19 minutes and won 73% of his faceoffs :yo:

and with De la Rose in the lineup, habs are 4 on 4 on the penalty kill :yo:

Okay, I'll take good news where I can get it. Galchenyuk's stats are legitimate good news, since faceoffs was a weak spot.

As to De la Rose... okay, nice to see some actual defensive awareness from a young forward. Dumb mental errors have killed us in our zone. But unless the kid has learned how to control the puck in the o-zone, make quick passes and shoot more, he's not worth too much time.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Pretty sad. On the other hand, we know the other lines are usually solid, so no reason for concern. Shaw can play hockey once he's properly tuned -- give him time to get his game back.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Cinq cassettes, that's funny.

They also ganged up on Therrien for sitting McCarron, I liked that. The truth is coming out. They also mentioned they doubt DD plays another game, I liked that even more.

That's how you build team spirit and morale. Send the kid down before he gets to play in front of his friends and family.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd love to see the Habs record on day games vs night games vs Saturday night games over the last 5 years.

One thing that pissed me off in the 2015 playoffs was all those weekend day games and games on Sunday. I believe this goes against the Habs... especially games at the Bell Center on Saturday nights. That place is normally intense but even more on Saturday nights!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pretty sad. On the other hand, we know the other lines are usually solid, so no reason for concern. Shaw can play hockey once he's properly tuned -- give him time to get his game back.

Don't worry. I didn't post that stat to indicate a troubling trend or anything. Just a tidbit that further shows how bad the Habs' game was. We all know full well that Byron, Danault, Lehkonen, and Shaw can cause damage on a consistent basis. While Plekanec has been better of late and Mitchell and Flynn can chip in as 4th liners.

I'd love to see the Habs record on day games vs night games vs Saturday night games over the last 5 years.

One thing that pissed me off in the 2015 playoffs was all those weekend day games and games on Sunday. I believe this goes against the Habs... especially games at the Bell Center on Saturday nights. That place is normally intense but even more on Saturday nights!

I get the sense our games in the afternoon are better for us than you might think. Normally, our only afternoon games are Super Bowl weekend and maybe we get the afternoon game on Hockey Day in Canada. Remember last year's Super Bowl weekend, Ben Scrivens won back-to-back games (one against Edmonton and the other against Buffalo IIRC).

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Don't worry. I didn't post that stat to indicate a troubling trend or anything. Just a tidbit that further shows how bad the Habs' game was. We all know full well that Byron, Danault, Lehkonen, and Shaw can cause damage on a consistent basis. While Plekanec has been better of late Andrew Mitchell and Flynn can chip in as 4th liners.

best season 17 and 13 points... so NO, he can't.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Don't worry. I didn't post that stat to indicate a troubling trend or anything. Just a tidbit that further shows how bad the Habs' game was. We all know full well that Byron, Danault, Lehkonen, and Shaw can cause damage on a consistent basis. While Plekanec has been better of late and Mitchell and Flynn can chip in as 4th liners.

I get the sense our games in the afternoon are better for us than you might think. Normally, our only afternoon games are Super Bowl weekend and maybe we get the afternoon game on Hockey Day in Canada. Remember last year's Super Bowl weekend, Ben Scrivens won back-to-back games (one against Edmonton and the other against Buffalo IIRC).

and hammered the Bruins 5-1 on new years day. 1:00 face off.

Its only an excuse when we lose.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

I gotta defend the coach and team on this one, they just look really fatigued. They have played way too much hockey in a little amount of time, they need a rest.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Pretty obvious...it's his size.

Personally, from what I've seen from McCarron, he's still too raw, needs another year in the AHL IMO.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
How much points do you think 4th liners typically accumulate?

The good ones get between 10 and 20 points AND are physical. Shawn Thornton's best season is 20 points. Most of the time when he did not reach 10 points it's because he played less than 70 games.

Tie Domi scored 15 goals and did 29 points while average 11 minutes of TOI in 2002-2003. 11 minutes is not really what i would call 3rd line TOI. He was 15th among forwards who played more than 10 games for the TOI. Only 2 forwards had less TOI than him.

Look i have nothing against Flynn but he is really nothing special. You can replace him easily. Honestly our view of a good 4th line player is skewed by all the crap and awful 4th lines we got the last 20 years. 10-15 points really is nothing special on a 4th line. It's what you should normally expect by such players if you want to win a cup. I personally think Flynn's defensive game is vastly overrated. He's been playing well lately but in the grand scheme of things it's a player we should look to replace by a more physical one in the upcoming years as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Therrien always says things like "we want other teams to adapt to us, not us that adapts to other teams". YET everytime I watch a Habs game, they are playing the other team's system.

Like last game we played the exact same way as the Wings. Fast-paced and not much strategy. Against the Wild, we played a slower tight-checking game cause it's the way Minni played instead of using our speed to opening up. Against the Pens we played a fast game and were eaten alive cause they were more skilled than us(instead of playing a tighter system to prevent them to speed up).

Am I alone in seeing this?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The good ones get between 10 and 20 points AND are physical. Shawn Thornton's best season is 20 points. Most of the time when he did not reach 10 points it's because he played less than 70 games.

Tie Domi scored 15 goals and did 29 points while average 11 minutes of TOI in 2002-2003. 11 minutes is not really what i would call 3rd line TOI. He was 15th among forwards who played more than 10 games for the TOI. Only 2 forwards had less TOI than him.

Those players are extremely rare...Shawn Thornton is long passed being an effective player in the NHL and the league has changed since the time he was an effective 4th liner.

As for Tie Domi?...come on, you're quoting me numbers from 2002-2003.

Truth is, there are very few teams who employ guys who specialize in fighting AND can play hockey, teams mostly have guys like Brian Flynn on their 4th line these days.

Look i have nothing against Flynn but he is really nothing special. You can replace him easily. Honestly our view of a good 4th line player is skewed by all the crap and awful 4th lines we got the last 20 years. 10-15 points really is nothing special on a 4th line. It's what you should normally expect by such players. I personally think Flynn's defensive game is vastly overrated. He's been playing well lately but in the grand scheme of things it's a player we should look to replace by a more physical one in the upcoming years as far as i'm concerned.

Agreed that Brian Flynn is replaceable, I never argued that. I just responded to someone saying sarcastically that Brian Flynn's best seasons had him score 17pts and 13pts.

So I was curious, how much points did he think 4th liners typically accumulate?

Flynn's having a good year IMO, he's on pace for a career year. He's a pending UFA, he's likely playing out his final year here. He's fast, he's versatile, cheap and is low-maintenance.

I don't see what the issue is...agreed that he's a player the Habs will look to replace with a more physical one, but right now, I don't see anyone in the AHL who can do his job better. Not even McCarron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad