zzz Habs lose 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Therrien always says things like "we want other teams to adapt to us, not us that adapts to other teams". YET everytime I watch a Habs game, they are playing the other team's system.

Like last game we played the exact same way as the Wings. Fast-paced and not much strategy. Against the Wild, we played a slower tight-checking game cause it's the way Minni played instead of using our speed to opening up. Against the Pens we played a fast game and were eaten alive cause they were more skilled than us(instead of playing a tighter system to prevent them to speed up).

Am I alone in seeing this?

what you're seeing probably has very little to do with 'systems' and more to do with just the flow of the game, the schedule, fatigue, etc.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
MT annoys the **** out of me when he breaks out the good ol "puck luck" excuse in his post game comments. It was way more than "puck luck" that cost you that game coach.

MB on TSN690 with Knuckles later today?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
MT annoys the **** out of me when he breaks out the good ol "puck luck" excuse in his post game comments. It was way more than "puck luck" that cost you that game coach.

MB on TSN690 with Knuckles later today?

I'm not a huge fan of Therrien but at the end of the day it was a one goal game where they were able to get a deflection threw a screen. I'm sure he's very aware of how flat our team was. But our schedule has been ridiculously tough.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Therrien always says things like "we want other teams to adapt to us, not us that adapts to other teams". YET everytime I watch a Habs game, they are playing the other team's system.

Like last game we played the exact same way as the Wings. Fast-paced and not much strategy. Against the Wild, we played a slower tight-checking game cause it's the way Minni played instead of using our speed to opening up. Against the Pens we played a fast game and were eaten alive cause they were more skilled than us(instead of playing a tighter system to prevent them to speed up).

Am I alone in seeing this?

So "Therrien says we want other team to adapt to us , not us that adapts to other teams"

A rather convenient philosophy for a coach like Therrien.

How does "them adapting to us" philosophy work when THEY are beating you? :laugh: "We're losing guys but they will adapt to us any minute now!! " lol

Therrien cant make adjustments mid game or in a play off series to save his life. What else is he gonna say when asked about adapting and adjusting.

:laugh: "I let da other team handle dat"

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm not a huge fan of Therrien but at the end of the day it was a one goal game where they were able to get a deflection threw a screen. I'm sure he's very aware of how flat our team was. But our schedule has been ridiculously tough.

From what I have seen luck has more to do with Hab wins than losses.

Therrein will never say that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
From what I have seen luck has more to do with Hab wins than losses.

Therrein will never say that.

Come on...you can't be serious with comments like this.

And let's just say you're right and luck was the big reason why the Habs have 27 wins as of today.

Do you really expect the coach, any coach, to come out and say they have 27 wins because they're lucky?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

And let's just say you're right and luck was the big reason why the Habs have 27 wins as of today.

Do you really expect the coach, any coach, to come out and say they have 27 wins because they're lucky?

A little sarcasm.

But we all know "puck luck" is a saw off. Both ways.

btw.... No habs do not all their wins from puck luck .....nor do the Wings. But MT will tell you they did because they beat his team.

Didnt hear Maurice, Venaiult, and Babcock right after losing to the Habs last week pull the Therrien "no puck luck" quote.

Works both ways is all im saying. There is puck luck, bad bounces, good bounces, teams scoring on their own nets, deflections off rear ends, skate blades....EVERY game.

On this case....the habs did not lose 1-0 to the dead wings because of "no puck luck" They just out right stunk.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's all luck

No, just the losses apparently.

Listening to Therrien and his fan club its like this

Habs lose because of puck luck.

Wins are all gut check character, coaching, strength and skill.

"saw dat coming" :laugh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No, just the losses apparently.

Listening to Therrien and his fan club its like this

Habs lose because of puck luck.

Wins are all gut check character, coaching, strength and skill.

"saw dat coming" :laugh:

4th in the league in GF and 7th in the league in GA
but sure luck :popcorn:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
4th in the league in GF and 7th in the league in GA
but sure luck :popcorn:

My point in the first place (obviously poorly made by me)

No of course the wins are not luck.

neither are the losses (unless your talking to Therrien)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We are beating most teams and doing well in advanced stats as far as I know.

So lets say the team is down 2-0 in a play off series going back to their barn.

Do you "adapt" and make "adjustments" or look up regular season "advanced stats" where you beat some other teams not adjusting?

duh :popcorn:

OR make no adjustments, lose another one and just tell da press "no puck luck" LOL

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

No. I dont expect any coach to say we have losses because we are unlucky either.

That was my point in the first place. I agreed with the poster that stated he is sick of Therrien using the puck luck excuse after losses.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So lets say the team is down 2-0 in a play off series going back to their barn.

Do you "adapt" and make "adjustments" or look up regular season "advanced stats" where you beat some other teams not adjusting?

duh :popcorn:

OR make no adjustments, lose another one and just tell da press "no puck luck" LOL

Those aren't even close to being the only options in that situation, even without considering the "why" factors. Its not even a valid binary choice, because you'd use "regular season "advanced stats"" as part of determining any adjustments or adaptations.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Here's the thing. Don't expect what is said in post game interviews to be 100% reflective of what any coach is really thinking.

If I am an NHL coach in this market, my biggest priority in media tasks is to provide non controversial and cliche remarks that the media can't run with.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
A little sarcasm.

btw.... No habs do not all their wins from puck luck .....nor do the Wings. But MT will tell you they did because they beat his team.

Didnt hear Maurice, Venaiult, and Babcock right after losing to the Habs last week pull the Therrien "no puck luck" quote.

Works both ways is all im saying. There is puck luck, bad bounces, good bounces, teams scoring on their own nets, deflections off rear ends, skate blades....EVERY game.

On this case....the habs did not lose 1-0 to the dead wings because of "no puck luck" They just out right stunk.

So do you want MT to come out and bury the team? I thought posters were opposed to MT blasting everyone. Should he come out like his comment in Pitts saying they want to be the worse D in the league. MT is actually practicing restraint, something people asked him to do with PK 1 year ago.

I am sure MT let the boys have it in the room, no reason they should be shut out by Detroit. But what does it accomplish if he comes out to the media after a 1-0 game and blast his team. I guess it would give you more ammunition to blast MT with but it doesn't accomplish much outside of that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A little sarcasm.

I think you're reading too much into post-game comments...

during an 82 game schedule + playoffs, coaches often recycle and repeat the same things, doesn't necessarily mean they actually mean it.

You're nitpicking

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
best season 17 and 13 points... so NO, he can't.

This year, he has 6 goals and 4 assists for 10 points in 34 games. You're talking about his seasons past. I'm talking about him able to chip in this year (on pace for 13 goals and 21 points at the moment) which as I said, as a 4th liner, he can chip in.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think you're reading too much into post-game comments...

during an 82 game schedule + playoffs, coaches often recycle and repeat the same things, doesn't necessarily mean they actually mean it.

You're nitpicking

Ill give you that. :yo:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So do you want MT to come out and bury the team? I thought posters were opposed to MT blasting everyone. Should he come out like his comment in Pitts saying they want to be the worse D in the league. MT is actually practicing restraint, something people asked him to do with PK 1 year ago.

I am sure MT let the boys have it in the room, no reason they should be shut out by Detroit. But what does it accomplish if he comes out to the media after a 1-0 game and blast his team. I guess it would give you more ammunition to blast MT with but it doesn't accomplish much outside of that.

No he does have to do that. But nothing wrong with a coach crediting the other team for a win. Or a well played game.

Have heard Hitch compliment the habs after Blues lost to them. Heard Julien say the same thing about habs played well. Sounds more professional and mature than...."they got puck luck" or "we didnt". Thats all. ;)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No he does have to do that. But nothing wrong with a coach crediting the other team for a win. Or a well played game.

Have heard Hitch compliment the habs after Blues lost to them. Heard Julien say the same thing about habs played well. Sounds more professional and mature than...."they got puck luck" or "we didnt". Thats all. ;)

Only thing I ever heard Hitchcock say is that with Price in nets, teams feel they're already down 1-0 at the start of the game.

And in all honesty, all I hear from Julien after a loss to Montreal are excuses.

I'm not saying they never gave credit to the Habs after a loss. I don't exactly recall it. I do recall Vigneault saying how Montreal gave a lesson in hockey to the Rangers twice last year.

But Michel has given credit to other teams for playing better and winning the game. He's not above that at all. He's done it numerous times.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Pretty obvious...it's his size.

Personally, from what I've seen from McCarron, he's still too raw, needs another year in the AHL IMO.

Ehhh... DLR is the second tallest dude among forwards on this roster and he has the same weight as Pac ! The only forward that`s bigger and heavier is BigMac.

If we really want to get bigger and stronger , DLR is the only guy beside BigMac that could bring some meat .

He`s a really good skater for his size with strong defensive awareness. I'm pretty sure he's still in the plans of this organisation.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

The thing is that Detroit wasn't any better than us in that game. The game was there for us to win it...

We didn't lost that game because Detroit was playing some kind of amazing hockey , we lost because the boys didn't show up and were flat and tired as hell.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The thing is that Detroit wasn't any better than us in that game. The game was there for us to win it...

We didn't lost that game because Detroit was playing some kind of amazing hockey , we lost because the boys didn't show up and were flat and tired as hell.
What???? I'm not sure what game you were watching man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad