Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello extension - 2 x $4.125 million AAV

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hopefully he can still be an effective 1st liner for this year, then a decent 2nd liner next year, and 2/3rd line guy the year after that. He is a good offensive player, and seemingly well liked.
Gotta see them willing to move him down the lineup when he's struggling first. So far? It's never happens.

Reactions: AKL

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't really like it, but I guess I get it. They need top-6 fowards at modest cap hits for a few years, and he gels with Kaprizov. You roll the dice on him not falling off a cliff, which... yeah, I guess.

It just feels like their staffing the skeleton crew that's supposed to keep the train on the tracks until the real team shows up up a few years. Inspiring stuff.

Reactions: BagHead

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Do you see where the defense goes?
Great players produce regardless. Yes bad playoffs happen especially when just coming off injury, but it can't just be that the D is following Kap so Zuccarello scores because of it. Boogaard isn't doing that and you know it...hence the hyperbole. His numbers have improved in the playoffs every year he's been here...even not healthy he must be doing something right.

Again, this move is more about Kaprizov than him. They're not going to move out Zuccarello until they have to and they didn't have to.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only bad thing about this contract is that it will make next year a bit tighter than we hoped, but if the cap goes up a couple few million, and young ELC guys nab some starting jobs then we are in ok shape.
They keep saying the cap will go up next year but it keeps not happening, so I'll have to see it to believe it.

As for ELC's grabbing roster spots, how many are realistically going to be available? Right now we're looking at:

Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Zuccarello
Johansson-Rossi-Boldy
X-Gaudreau-X
X-Dewar?-X

If they manage to sign Foligno and Hartman, that's the third line completed. Maybe Walker grabs one of the fourth line spots? I'd guess Duhaime isn't coming back but Guerin loves finding a big lug to play on that fourth line (Reaves, Maroon), who's next?

On the defense you have:

Middleton-Spurgeon
Brodin-Faber
Merrill-Addison?
X

Maybe they trade Addison and Spacek takes his spot? Maybe Lambos makes the team and Merrill slides down to the X? But in that scenario you're not saving any money that you otherwise would not have on defense.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If they felt like they had to do it, for Kaprizov or whatever reason, and the NMC saved a 3rd year or a $5M+ cap hit, then I guess it's probably the lesser of all the evils.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I see a few reasons to do it - but also see a few reasons NOT to do it. So I'm lukewarm.

I really do hope we don't sign Hartman this early though.

What are the reasons to do it now? He's not going to be any more expensive if he has another season like the last couple.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
What are the reasons to do it now? He's not going to be any more expensive if he has another season like the last couple.
If I'm in the agent's shoes, if he produces again at around 60-70 points, you could argue that he hasn't lost a step, and should be command closer to 5mil. I can see that squeeze happening.

However, I am definitely in the camp of expecting him to regress to 50pts so I'm not fully sold on his repeating his last few years. So thats I'm why I am waiting and see. I see the arguments to sign him early, but I don't necessarily agree with the arguments.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
For his production how are any of you guys complaining about this? Great deal for the team
A certain poster makes everything about him and can be rather annoying. Also, his play has definitely declined from what it was. His point totals are a bit misleading, but I still think this is a good deal.

Reactions: AKL

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Because there was pressure on Guerin too. Zucc would've had zero problems getting a job on another NHL team. They love him here, and didn't want to lose him.

I believe a 2 yr extension is what he wanted, that's 3 more years including this season. I also think this has been their plan for a long time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Great players produce regardless. Yes bad playoffs happen especially when just coming off injury, but it can't just be that the D is following Kap so Zuccarello scores because of it. Boogaard isn't doing that and you know it...hence the hyperbole. His numbers have improved in the playoffs every year he's been here...even not healthy he must be doing something right.

Again, this move is more about Kaprizov than him. They're not going to move out Zuccarello until they have to and they didn't have to.
I don't mind the move, I mind the NMC.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
All in all im fine with it. Does the NMC suck? yes. Id like to see some players that arent apart of our future moved for picks. Is it the end of the world or a bad deal? Id say no. Seems like a fair deal for a decent forward.

At some point id like to see some of the young players play in the big league. I am getting a little tired of hearing about "how good our farm system is" and not really seeing any results but that might just be me and getting some fatigue towards some of the players like Zucc, Foligno, Goli, Flower, etc. And thats not a shot at those players im just ready for the future now i guess.

I guess i kinda view this team in its current state as a MN Vikings team led by Kirk Cousins, Hard to get excited for. Maybe thatll change once the puck drops.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Because there was pressure on Guerin too. Zucc would've had zero problems getting a job on another NHL team. They love him here, and didn't want to lose him.

I believe a 2 yr extension is what he wanted, that's 3 more years including this season. I also think this has been their plan for a long time.
Zucc has zero motive to leave either though, as he's not likely to get a better linemate than Kap anywhere he goes.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
All in all im fine with it. Does the NMC suck? yes. Id like to see some players that arent apart of our future moved for picks. Is it the end of the world or a bad deal? Id say no. Seems like a fair deal for a decent forward.

At some point id like to see some of the young players play in the big league. I am getting a little tired of hearing about "how good our farm system is" and not really seeing any results but that might just be me and getting some fatigue towards some of the players like Zucc, Foligno, Goli, Flower, etc. And thats not a shot at those players im just ready for the future now i guess.

I guess i kinda view this team as a MN Vikings team led by Kirk Cousins, Hard to get excited for. Maybe thatll change once the puck drops.
I don’t think that Zuccarello is really blocking any prospect. Realistically, the prospects that are near NHL ready are either here (Faber, Rossi) or are locked into this season over seas (Khusnutdinov, Yurov, Ohgren). When they do arrive/improve, I expect they will get the spots currently occupied by Hartman and Foligno.

It would be nice to have some young blood on the left side of the blue line. I doubt they would touch a Lambos-Addison 3rd pairing tho.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I don’t think that Zuccarello is really blocking any prospect. Realistically, the prospects that are near NHL ready are either here (Faber, Rossi) or are locked into this season over seas (Khusnutdinov, Yurov, Ohgren). When they do arrive/improve, I expect they will get the spots currently occupied by Hartman and Foligno.

It would be nice to have some young blood on the left side of the blue line. I doubt they would touch a Lambos-Addison 3rd pairing tho.
All very fair points and it really didn’t cross my mind that Zucc isn’t blocking anyone in the farm system.

It seems like a good price for a good forward and we need all the deals we can get with our current cap situation.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
@Sad People Don't forget that you also need some experienced leaders on a successful NHL team, and Zucc is certainly one of those. So don't be surprised if he's gets the A on his chest as well, even though he says you don't need a letter to be a leader.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
His contract ends when Kaprizov’s does.
One thing I've learned in the past few seasons though is you should not rely on line chemistry too much when signing deals. It gives alot of leverage to the player when negotiation but its too unreliable from the Wild's standpoint.

IE, the GREEF line WAS a great line to have and we signed, I believe, slightly player friendly deals to Greenway and Foligno because of their performance. But as reliable as they were in that season, 1 season later, the line is gone and Greenway didn't fit anywhere.

So while Zuccarello may have been a great fit, we shoudn't give too much bargaining power just bc he played well Kaprizov last season. That said, I think AAV and term wise is still fine bc I think he'll still produce with different players if line changes is needed. NMC does worry me a bit (see Goligoski).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00