Confirmed with Link: Zuccarello extension - 2 x $4.125 million AAV

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Two. Years. That's not locked in. And when he a good compliment to your best player, you make the move now.
Two years that cover a period of time when the Wild have the most cap space and their best chance at a cup. I don’t like this restricting their ability to sign better free agent options.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc has zero motive to leave either though, as he's not likely to get a better linemate than Kap anywhere he goes.
But he would have a better chance to win a Cup with another team before he retires. That being said, the Wild can also do it with this team...you never know.

He's settled down here with a family, loves Minnesota that's much like Norway in many ways.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That said, I think AAV and term wise is still fine bc I think he'll still produce with different players if line changes is needed.

Last year when Kaprizov was out for that month towards the end of the season, Zuccarello scored at a 13 goal, 50 point point pace. With Kaprizov the rest of the season he produced at a 25 goal, 75 point pace.

Of course we all know the year before last, Kaprizov had him producing at a 28 goal, 93 point pace, so we can see the production already in a free fall. And prior to Kaprizov, Zuccarello was mainly about a 50-60 point player. So just based on some of that data, Kaprizov seems to have about a +50% impact on Zuccarello's production.

*This isn't commentary, this is an observation of statistics.

Reactions: TaLoN

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Two years that cover a period of time when the Wild have the most cap space and their best chance at a cup. I don’t like this restricting their ability to sign better free agent options.
The first year we still have 14mil+ in cap penalties, the 2nd it's down to 1.6...so no, that won't be the most cap space at all.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Last year when Kaprizov was out for that month towards the end of the season, Zuccarello scored at a 13 goal, 50 point point pace. With Kaprizov the rest of the season he produced at a 25 goal, 75 point pace.

Of course all know the year before last, Kaprizov had him producing at a 28 goal, 93 point pace, so we can see the production already in a free fall. And prior to Kaprizov, Zuccarello was mainly about a 50-60 point player. So just based on some of that data, Kaprizov seems to have about a +50% impact on Zuccarello's production.

*This isn't commentary, this is an observation of statistics.

So... he has been a consistent 50-60 point player thus far and produces more with kaprizov?

Don't see the problem here. You're acting as though he is getting paid like a 70-80pt guy when in y9ur own words, he produced at his typical 50-60pt pace last year without kap as he always does. Not seeing the free fall you're talking about. Not saying it won't happen but it hasn't yet.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don’t think that Zuccarello is really blocking any prospect. Realistically, the prospects that are near NHL ready are either here (Faber, Rossi) or are locked into this season over seas (Khusnutdinov, Yurov, Ohgren). When they do arrive/improve, I expect they will get the spots currently occupied by Hartman and Foligno.

It would be nice to have some young blood on the left side of the blue line. I doubt they would touch a Lambos-Addison 3rd pairing tho.

Until they are extended tomorrow.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we could somehow end up with a top 6 like this next year...

Kaprizov - Rossi - Boldy
Johansson - Eriksson Ek - Zuccarello

And Zuccarello would still maintain his ~50+ point production in that spot, the contract is probably fine.

So many lefties though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Until they are extended tomorrow.

There's still a path to nobody really being blocked.

Let's say in 2025-26 it looks something like this:

Yurov-Eriksson Ek-Boldy
Kaprizov-Rossi-Zuccarello
Khusnutdinov-Gaudreau-Ohgren
Foligno-Dewar-Hartman

But the questions would be, do the contracts he gives to Foligno and Hartman make sense on the fourth line and will Yurov, Khusnutdinov and Ohgren be ready for those minutes in two years.

I think you can juggle those any way you want to, but the top 9 has to be top 9 and the bottom line has to be the bottom line. You probably end up losing guys like Walker, Milne, one of Dewar/Bankier, Firstov and Beckman along the way, but then you ask yourself if those guys even really have a role in the future anyway.

Maybe a work around in the future could look like:

Yurov-Eriksson Ek-Boldy
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-Beckman
Foligno-Gaudreau-Hartman

And Beckman could be replaced by whoever else makes an impact if it's not Beckman

You lose some flexibility to add anyone meaningful without blocking someone, but you're not directly blocking anyone yet.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The last two seasons with the Wild are the best in Zuccarello's career, then it's a little silly to say that he's declining. He was a bit banged up towards the end of last season, a natural result was a drop in production.

Evason just said he's in tremendous shape, no need to worry.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not a fan of the full NTC. I would have liked a little less money. The term is fine.

I'm just meh about this signing. Zucc has been good here and I don't see anyone pushing to take a top-6 wing spot in the next 2 years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There's still a path to nobody really being blocked.

Let's say in 2025-26 it looks something like this:

Yurov-Eriksson Ek-Boldy
Khusnutdinov-Gaudreau-Ohgren
Foligno-Dewar-Hartman

But the questions would be, do the contracts he gives to Foligno and Hartman make sense on the fourth line and will Yurov, Khusnutdinov and Ohgren be ready for those minutes in two years.

I think you can juggle those any way you want to, but the top 9 has to be top 9 and the bottom line has to be the bottom line. You probably end up losing guys like Walker, Milne, one of Dewar/Bankier, Firstov and Beckman along the way, but then you ask yourself if those guys even really have a role in the future anyway.

Maybe a work around in the future could look like:

Yurov-Eriksson Ek-Boldy
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-Beckman
Foligno-Gaudreau-Hartman

And Beckman could be replaced by whoever else makes an impact if it's not Beckman

You lose some flexibility to add anyone meaningful without blocking someone, but you're not directly blocking anyone yet.
Ideally, for me, next year is something like:

Kaprizov - Eriksson Ek - Zuccarello
Boldy - Rossi - Hartman (~$4.5M)
Johansson - Khusnutdinov - Gaudreau
Duhaime (~$1.5) - Dewar (~$1.5) - Whoever (~$1M)

Middleton - Spurgeon
Brodin - Faber
Lambos - Addison/Spacek/Whoever (?)
Merrill

Gustavsson
Wallstedt

This lineup has ~$4.5M in cap space if the cap doesn't go up (more if it does) to figure out the #3RD spot or maneuver something else around the roster. If Foligno comes back he can be the "whoever", but I'm pretty much just done with him at any cost or wherever he might play.

Then the following year Ohgren comes in and takes Johansson's spot, and Yurov takes Zuccarello's spot the year after.

Or we can use Hartman's ~$4.5M and the remaining cap space and see if we can't get somebody in the $6-$8M range.

Reactions: AKL

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
For his production how are any of you guys complaining about this? Great deal for the team
I think there is a certain point where I want to see the young guns get a chance to play some more meaningful minutes on talented lines. Zucc been good for us no doubt, but I don't see us as real cup contenders at least until the dead cap is gone. My hope is that we would've been looking to flip Zucc for a pick or something but with a NMC I doubt we see it.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I’d like to see Stramel and Walker push for this roster next year.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Stramel needs to prove that he belongs in college hockey first.
Well , I’m expecting a good year from him. He’s a grown ass man who’s physically able to handle other grown men and he has basically nobody on the depth chart blocking him. If he’s not pushing for a spot in his d+2 year then that will suck.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
In comparison I think Rangers paid more on cap. friendly. in 2014 for Martin St. Louis. And he had *2 60 & 61 points season with Tampa in the end. I think Zucc contract value is good if he hit above 65 pts for the new season.
A decline is natural at his age though but how much I really dont know and depends if he can stay healthy, and I am happy about his contract since I enjoy watching Wilds hockey.

DATETRADE DETAILS
Mar. 5, 2014

New York Rangers Acquire:
Logo of the New York Rangers

Martin St. Louis · $5,625,000

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Because there was pressure on Guerin too. Zucc would've had zero problems getting a job on another NHL team. They love him here, and didn't want to lose him.

I believe a 2 yr extension is what he wanted, that's 3 more years including this season. I also think this has been their plan for a long time.
They couldn't wait until 25-30 games into the season and signed the same deal? Why do it before the games even start?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc wants it before they start so he can get away with coasting.
As Tortorella once said, Zucc is a smart little cat.

Leaving 1.5M on the table, based on Capfriendly's market value, he won't feel the same pressure in case he gets a little tired out there...

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The first year we still have 14mil+ in cap penalties, the 2nd it's down to 1.6...so no, that won't be the most cap space at all.
And yet they’ve been able to find $8.25M to sign two 30+ mid-level players for next year. Feels like that could’ve been better spent next year.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It's probably a pretty competitive offer for Lindholm, if he makes it there.
It’s just painful to see the potential free agent signings this team could have made over the next two seasons become completely impossible. I’m sure he’s gonna give Hartman $5M too.

It’s like he doesn’t even realize we’ve got a ton of ELC players coming up in the next two years that can take on roles.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’d like to see Stramel and Walker push for this roster next year.
I think Stramel should probably stay in college for at least another year after this one. Really hammer home that he is ready for the next level. Take the Faber route and leave after his third college season.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I think Stramel should probably stay in college for at least another year after this one. Really hammer home that he is ready for the next level. Take the Faber route and leave after his third college season.
You could be right for sure. I’m just looking at the 10,000 ft view of his progression and the position he was put in last year on that team at his age. I think he was potentially a talent that should and could have gone higher in the first round if he went to a better program and didn’t deal with some of the personal adversity etc. I don’t think it would be too outrageous for a typical 10-15ish 1st rd pick to challenge for a roster lacking depth at their position in their d+2 season. I want to see him really break out this year under a better coach and start to make some waives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad