Value of: Zuccarello at the draft

Feb 24, 2017
HFboards will bring up repeatedly that he only has 1 more season left on his contract before he becomes a UFA.

There is a strange phenomenon here at HFBoards where a pending UFA is automatically assumed gone via free agency. Also weird that the minute he leaves Team X, fans of said team can suddenly remember every single flaw about that player.

But back to the original point, I'm guessing the "Brassard" return is the max he gets, likely less given Brassard's available for two playoff runs and I believe retained 50%, which I'm assuming the Rangers will do for Zuccarello as well.

I'll throw out a late 1st from a contending team and a "B" level prospect for Zuccarello at 50%.
Yes. Exactly. He is worth nothing because he doesn’t have the Josi contract. And because New York ruined their leverage by admitting they are rebuilding and want to move players. They have no leverage. No leverage. None. Hflogic TM says zook is worth sweet eff all.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Zucc probably has more value to the Rangers now than before the deadline. They are not deep at RW at all and will need Zucc in the locker room over the next couple of seasons. If he does go and if he does go to Edmonton it won't be for anything less than a top forward prospect Like Yamamoto and a 1st or 2nd.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Considering how much the cap is going up I think the Rangers will get more value if they trade him at the next draft.
VERRRRRY impressed with the value they got with their deadline trades. If they really want to go through a super crazy rebuild and end up also trading away Zuccarello they're going to be loaded for bare with picks.

I know that Kreider has been disappointing at times, but if the cap jumps above 80M, 4.6M for Krieder for 3 years suddenly has value. If both of them left it would be biggest purge of cap space I'd ever see and New York would surely be set up and ready to compete very soon considering all of the youth they'd be bringing in.

With all the crazy cap space they'd still be able to afford to chase the top free agents, too.

Reactions: GregSirico

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
HFboards will bring up repeatedly that he only has 1 more season left on his contract before he becomes a UFA.

There is a strange phenomenon here at HFBoards where a pending UFA is automatically assumed gone via free agency. Also weird that the minute he leaves Team X, fans of said team can suddenly remember every single flaw about that player.

But back to the original point, I'm guessing the "Brassard" return is the max he gets, likely less given Brassard's available for two playoff runs and I believe retained 50%, which I'm assuming the Rangers will do for Zuccarello as well.

I'll throw out a late 1st from a contending team and a "B" level prospect for Zuccarello at 50%.

This is plainly a statement with very short sight . It is not about automatically leaving . It a risk add in the fact if a team is close to the cap if his demands are too much the acquiring team can't resign him . Plus a team can go after him as an UFA for free

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A Pens 3rd line of Hagelin-Brassard-Zuccarello would be dope, all best friends too. Don't think Pens should target him, we need to rework our D but that would be a fun line to watch.
That line was tried in NY. It was miserable for a game and a half and of course AV never went back to it. Because AV things.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am done predicting returns for players. More importantly, I am done arguing whether or not other people's predictions have or do not have merit. If Zucc wants to stay, I hope he stays. If he leaves, I hope he wins the cup. If we trade him, I hope we get good value for him. He seems to be a legit good guy. He deserves good things. I have this vision of poor Zucc looking around the locker room at all the empty stalls where all his friends used to sit and a single tear streaming down his face like the Indian looking at the polluted creek from that commercial in the 70s. Let's clean up this creek for Zucc! Let's make Zucc happy again! C'mon scouts! Draft! Draft like your lives depended on it!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Considering how much the cap is going up I think the Rangers will get more value if they trade him at the next draft.
VERRRRRY impressed with the value they got with their deadline trades. If they really want to go through a super crazy rebuild and end up also trading away Zuccarello they're going to be loaded for bare with picks.

I know that Kreider has been disappointing at times, but if the cap jumps above 80M, 4.6M for Krieder for 3 years suddenly has value. If both of them left it would be biggest purge of cap space I'd ever see and New York would surely be set up and ready to compete very soon considering all of the youth they'd be bringing in.

With all the crazy cap space they'd still be able to afford to chase the top free agents, too.

The Rangers aren't looking to add top free agents. Gorton is in this for the long haul. The Rangers want to build a team. Maybe they look at adding a top free agent down the road. The Rangers want picks, prospects and young players. They want to build a new Rangers core based on their young players being the lead dogs on the team.

Reactions: pld459666

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Read that teams can trade with each other after the deadline, but the players wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs. What if the Rangers traded him now to a non-playoff team?

Then they could play him for the remaining games and get some chemistry perhaps.

Like the Edmonton Oilers. Zuccarello on McDavid or Draisaitl's wing would be pretty neat? Someone who can keep up.

Should be able to send a decent package back.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Zuccarello will bring in a first. He's a borderline elite player with a bit of a down year. He's the ULTIMATE teamate and is a fan favorite, just a loveable player. The guy is 5'7" and isn't afraid of Chara ffs.

Out of everyone on the Rangers, if we can't get what we want, I'd gladly keep Zucc, resign him and make him the captain

In 3 seasons he had 59+ points in the last 5 years, scored 49 points in one season and on his way to another 50 point season.

He scores 50 points in his sleep. Put him on a elite line and that'll go up to 70-80 points.. such an underrated player.

Easily a 1st and a good prospect comes back otherwise I'd gladly keep him.

Last edited:

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers aren't looking to add top free agents. Gorton is in this for the long haul. The Rangers want to build a team. Maybe they look at adding a top free agent down the road. The Rangers want picks, prospects and young players. They want to build a new Rangers core based on their young players being the lead dogs on the team.

As Kovulchuk enters the room...

Reactions: Shootertooter

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I am done predicting returns for players. More importantly, I am done arguing whether or not other people's predictions have or do not have merit. If Zucc wants to stay, I hope he stays. If he leaves, I hope he wins the cup. If we trade him, I hope we get good value for him. He seems to be a legit good guy. He deserves good things. I have this vision of poor Zucc looking around the locker room at all the empty stalls where all his friends used to sit and a single tear streaming down his face like the Indian looking at the polluted creek from that commercial in the 70s. Let's clean up this creek for Zucc! Let's make Zucc happy again! C'mon scouts! Draft! Draft like your lives depended on it!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s risky for Gorton to move either Mats Zuccarello or Kevin Shattenkirk, because they are the only veterans who are close or about 30 years old in New York Rangers at the moment, except Henrik & M. Staal, but he might be bought out due to a long list of injuries, and Henrik is a goalie. So I`m not sure or certain if they (Sather & Gorton) consider that option, because you see all teams around the league have players around 30 years old, and it`s a very good reason for that in this league. And especially after they moved both Miller & Ryan Mc. and it`s not certain that Spooner or Vlad will be here after the summer - so Gorton obviously considered to flip those new assets for future picks, or maybe Gorton aiming for the top #3 picks in the 2018 draft to build around hence why he consider to flip new assets for better draft positions.

It`s my reasoning and speculation based on Gorton`s interviews recently, and how long his rebuild plan is - and it was mentioned a (1-3) years rebuild plan.

A rebuild is not necessary move all players around 30 years old or older for prospects, and since I`m a New York Rangers fan, I admit Zucc is the reason for that many years ago - so for me it`s hard to see such a player go to another franchise.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Conditional 1st in '19 (condition being lottery protected) + Islanders 3rd for Zuc.

FWIW I doubt our first next year will be a lottery pick.
No Rangers fan is expecting a lottery pick for Zucc

But this offer is light. Needs to be a good prospect or lower end roster player coming back as well

Nash got more than this for 3 months worth of play

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2