Confirmed with Link: Zubrus Unconditionally Released

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Crazy to see how young this team is getting. The guys we've lost in the last year are Brodeur (43), Jagr (43), Salvador (39), Zidlicky (38), Zubrus (38), Gomez (35), Ryder (35), Havlat (34), Harrold (32), Bernier (30). Also, I doubt we see Clowe (32) play at all.

Picked up: Moore (24) and Palmieri (24)

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Well looks like the HF Devils narrative was wrong again.

Nothing against the player, he just got old and stopped being useful. This also somewhat calms my fears about the ownership willing to spend the money to ice the best team possible. Zubrus had no place on this roster and I am glad that Shero and the owners did the right thing by the organization going forward.

So Ray and Harris get a big :thumbu: from me. A+

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
If this is a mutual contract termination and not a buyout, we have have to bring someone on board to get back over the cap floor.

Edit: oh right. Okay, this is probably a buyout and given the 35+ rule we get no cap relief, which means we stay over the floor.

If that happens though do we still have him on the cap next year?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Let's assume Matteau is on the team. You have Rutuu, Tootoo, Gionta as part of the old guard. Than you have these possibilities: Boucher, Coleman, Blandish, Kalinin, Thompson and O'Brien. No room for Zub. The guy always played hard, however, he's done in the current NHL. Good luck!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
One of my favorite Devils of all-time for the way he played a few years ago, but this move was long overdue.

Lou sure handed out long term deals to 35+ players like candy

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
If that happens though do we still have him on the cap next year?

Yes, his cap hit will be, but its only this year and we're nowhere near the cap so it doesnt matter. This was done for roster purposes b/c Zubrus' game has regressed so much he was the definition of dead weight.

It also opens the potential of Zacha being here all year even more or someone being signed out of training camp. I would expect something like that more than anybody being brought in.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
It's nice to haz money now! Best of luck to Zubbie. I love where this team is headed--in two years we can be serious contenders again.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
the problem is I don't think we have a buyout window anymore.

There was definitely a second buyout window, because TG asked if Shero had any plans to use it on a few different occasions.

Honestly I think my favorite part about this whole ordeal is that when asked, Shero very clearly stated he had no plans of any further buyouts. So some spirit of Lou still remains in this organization.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I really expected him to just stand by the wayside for one year, collect his 3m, then ride off into the sunset on his own. But maybe he still thinks he can find an NHL job for next season?

Either way, loved having him on this team for a long time. But as has been said over and over, it was time.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
Now that Lou is GM of the Leafs, perhaps we can trade all the players Lou likes that nobody else likes for James van Riemsdyk. I'm sure there's quite a laundry list of those kind of players. LOL!

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Now that Lou is GM of the Leafs, perhaps we can trade all the players Lou likes that nobody else likes for James van Riemsdyk. I'm sure there's quite a laundry list of those kind of players. LOL!

Zubrus, Gionta, 3rd rounder for JVR. Lou will be excited.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice · 36s36 seconds ago
Ray Shero said Saturday it was "not on our radar" to utlilize the buyout windwow.

This is why I don't put any stock into what GMs say to the media.

Anyways, I liked Zubrus, but I'm on board with what everyone else says here. Thanks for the memories Zubie.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
@TGfireandice: Payout on buyout for Zubrus is 2/3 the total value of his remaining contract ($3.1 million) spread out over twice the remaining years (1)

So they saved money lol, and the cap hit does NOT go into next year which is the best news imo

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
@TGfireandice: Payout on buyout for Zubrus is 2/3 the total value of his remaining contract ($3.1 million) spread out over twice the remaining years (1)

So they saved money lol, and the cap hit does NOT go into next year which is the best news imo

Yep, and gives Zubrus the opportunity to find another team to play for (overseas, perhaps) while still getting paid by the Devils.

It's a win-win.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There was definitely a second buyout window, because TG asked if Shero had any plans to use it on a few different occasions.

Honestly I think my favorite part about this whole ordeal is that when asked, Shero very clearly stated he had no plans of any further buyouts. So some spirit of Lou still remains in this organization.

right but does it go away because we didnt have a case go to arbitration?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad