Confirmed with Link: Zubrus Unconditionally Released

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why not buy him out during the first window? Maybe they liked what they saw enough in development camp to buy him out now

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wow I'm shocked. Didn't think that they would do it and would just let him go at the end of the year.

He was certainly done as an effective player, but it's sad to see him go. He was a true soldier for us for so long. My favorite memory with him was Game 4 of the Flyers series in 2012 where he got the game winner, took that shoulder from Giroux right to the head, came back and got the empty netter to seal the game.

Thanks for everything Zubie, you're a good dude and I wish you all the best. Hopefully you'll stick around in some capacity down the line. Or open up a cafe somewhere :laugh:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm not sure if we do or not, but we might because of Gelinas and Larsson filing for arbitration.

According to TG, after Larsson was officially signed we had a 48 hour buyout window and that's obviously over. So it appears it's a contract termination. That's pretty good if the Devils don't have to pay him anything.

I just hope Zubie has a good opportunity in management or even playing in Europe where his career can continue. I like the guy and appreciate everything he's done here.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It may be a mutual contract termination, we'll see if Zubrus has a deal lined up in Europe or something.

Same thing happened with Brunner and Olesz last year did it not?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Zubie, you were a good Devil and a good guy overall.

Shero...You're alright.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Based on what? lol

Shero cuts 99% of dead weight and then just decides to bring a guy back? Not gonna happen. We're probably not signing anyone.
If this is a mutual contract termination and not a buyout, we have have to bring someone on board to get back over the cap floor.

Edit: oh right. Okay, this is probably a buyout and given the 35+ rule we get no cap relief, which means we stay over the floor.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
From a business standpoint, this is a good move to cut off some deadweight, so props to Shero for doing it. On a personal note, Zubrus always seemed like a nice fellow and a fun teammate, so I wish him well and thank him for the good things he did as a Devil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad