Zibby vs. Silf

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I accidentally voted Silf. Zib and it isnt close IMO. I wouldnt be surprised if Silf isnt on this team in a few years. I really hope he proves me wrong though!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Both have potential, but their just seems to be more jump in Zibby's game. Silf doesnt seem to do anything exceptionally well except for his wrist shot, but is all around solid.

Hard to project where both of them will be in a few years, Ill go with Zibby but who really knows.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
i just picked the center, i still think Silfverberg is gonna be great player that has not reached his potential yet and shows a lot out there on the ice, i think he has first line upside but not superstar maybe a top 6 tweener but i expect him to keep getting better.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Don't forget Silfverberg being a gun in the first 3 shootouts. Without those rook-dawg snipes on HOF goalies we don't make the playoffs.
That doesn't show up in his point total when comparing him to Mika, so the argument that Mika outscored him is pretty much invalid.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't forget Silfverberg being a gun in the first 3 shootouts. Without those rook-dawg snipes on HOF goalies we don't make the playoffs.
That doesn't show up in his point total when comparing him to Mika, so the argument that Mika outscored him is pretty much invalid.

Even if you add all 4 of his shootout goals and don't add Zibanejad's 1 goal, Silfverberg only ties Zibanejad in pace. And Silfverberg had 7 attempts to Zibanejad's 2, so I'm not convinced that including the shoutout (which I don't think should weigh in as heavily as in game pts) evens things out.

Also, only one of Silfverberg's shootout goals was a game deciding goal, so it's up in the air whether or not we would have made the playoffs without them.

As far as the poll question goes though, I'd probably put my money on Zibanejad unless Silf can improve his first step; a little more quickness to his game and he could be lethal.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Even if you add all 4 of his shootout goals and don't add Zibanejad's 1 goal, Silfverberg only ties Zibanejad in pace. And Silfverberg had 7 attempts to Zibanejad's 2, so I'm not convinced that including the shoutout (which I don't think should weigh in as heavily as in game pts) evens things out.

Also, only one of Silfverberg's shootout goals was a game deciding goal, so it's up in the air whether or not we would have made the playoffs without them.

As far as the poll question goes though, I'd probably put my money on Zibanejad unless Silf can improve his first step; a little more quickness to his game and he could be lethal.

All shootout goals are important; the concept of the deciding goal is arbitrary unless it's the only goal in the shootout.

Also, when comparing shootout goals to actual goals, I believe they're essentially equal in importance. A point is on the line and you're converting... that's an invaluable contribution that gets lost in the stat line.

Anyways, they're neck and neck to me, especially when you point out that Jakob's shootout totals bring him up to Mika's pace of production. It'll be even more interesting if they continue to play together, because their performances will be mutually dependent moving forward.

This is a really, really tough question.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
All shootout goals are important; the concept of the deciding goal is arbitrary unless it's the only goal in the shootout.
Off course they are all important, but my point is that to say without 3 shootout goals we miss the playoffs is false. We may have had another shooter win it for us, as without his goal we were still tied.
Also, when comparing shootout goals to actual goals, I believe they're essentially equal in importance. A point is on the line and you're converting... that's an invaluable contribution that gets lost in the stat line.
I tend to disagree. Shootouts are a side show that only happens in about 12% of the games; pace in game is of far more importance on average.
Anyways, they're neck and neck to me, especially when you point out that Jakob's shootout totals bring him up to Mika's pace of production. It'll be even more interesting if they continue to play together, because their performances will be mutually dependent moving forward.
They are at the same pace if you omit Zibanejad's shoot out goal, although it is much closer (a 2 point spread over 82 games).
This is a really, really tough question.
This much we can agree on, but I'd give Zibanejad a bit of an edge do to age.

member 137785

I voted Silf, he has proven himself as MVP of the SEL regular season and playoffs, and after a period of adjustment in Bingo, then Ottawa he proved himself able to play against some of the best players in the NHL. He has finish with that sick release, you can't teach that.

Zibby will be an NHL'er for a long time I agree, but Silf will be 25 goals a year easy for years to come.

It's a nice question to have to ask though, they both finished +9 this year, while it's an imperfect stat it does show they weren't getting outgunned in their roles in their rookie year.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Long term I have to give it to Zib, but there's no denying Silf had a better first year. Zib had a higher PPG average but Silf played in all situations and wasn't being sheltered like Zib did in the playoffs. Shows that the coaching staff has a high degree of confidence in him, and as his first year in NA that's pretty great. A good off season of training and Silf will hopefully be able to keep up his production for an entire season, he did look gassed in the back end of the season.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
I wasn't the guy with the Jakob Silfverberg username :sarcasm: Silfverberg had the better year, but Zibanejad has the potential to be the better player. I feel Silfverberg will have a fairly consistant career 50-60 points/season, whilst playing in all sitautions. Zibanejad has the game-breaking ability and if he finds a little meanness, he'll be a great player.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've watched Silfverberg play in the SEL and AHL and as much as everyone thinks that Zibanejad is the one with the obvious raw potential, I'm gonna go out on a limb and tell you guys the Silfverberg you guys saw last year contained just as much raw potential. He wasn't his dominant self that he normally is or has the potential to be.

When Silfverberg is on his game you can tell. Towards the end of the ssn and playoffs, he was no where near himself yet still played ok(pretty conservative saying) for his role.

I think Silfverberg will surprise people big in the future, mainly why I don't wanna trade him, he can be just as good as the piece coming back.

I still think that Zibanejad will be better because of his physical tenancies and great skating.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zibanejad, and rather easily.

Was our best player for an extended stretch. In that time he showed flashes of the dominant player he has the potential to become. Faded near the end of the season and didn't make a big impact in the playoffs, but I'm confident this kid will be a player. Too many tools, and is as raw as they come. The finished product could be very impressive.

Silfverberg was a disappointment. His game can be easily described using the words mediocre, average, ordinary etc... His vision is lacking, as he often misses the open man coming up the middle, and showed little playmaking ability in the 58 games he played this year in an Sens jersey. His shot is obviously his best quality, and in close it is elite in terms of speed, quickness and power, but from far out he hasn't been able to do anything with it. It seems in order to score he needs to be in a prime scoring position, as he lacks accuracy, and while his release is virtually unmatched in the NHL, his shot is not heavy like Zibby's, thus he has a hard time scoring from far out. His biggest obstacle to becoming a top 6 point producer is, without a doubt, his hands. He fumbles so many scoring chances because he can't handle pucks very well. He has little in the way of finish, despite possessing this "elite shot" because he is lacking in basic talent with the puck. His poor puck skills go hand in hand with his lack of creativity. So many times a hole in the opposing defense would emerge, but instead of exploiting it Silf would go wide with it, effectively killing the scoring chance. He did skate much better as the season went on, and showed flashes of top 6 talent, but it wasn't enough to meet expectations.

WhiteLight*

Zibanejad, and rather easily.

Was our best player for an extended stretch. In that time he showed flashes of the dominant player he has the potential to become. Faded near the end of the season and didn't make a big impact in the playoffs, but I'm confident this kid will be a player. Too many tools, and is as raw as they come. The finished product could be very impressive.

Silfverberg was a disappointment. His game can be easily described using the words mediocre, average, ordinary etc... His vision is lacking, as he often misses the open man coming up the middle, and showed little playmaking ability in the 58 games he played this year in an Sens jersey. His shot is obviously his best quality, and in close it is elite in terms of speed, quickness and power, but from far out he hasn't been able to do anything with it. It seems in order to score he needs to be in a prime scoring position, as he lacks accuracy, and while his release is virtually unmatched in the NHL, his shot is not heavy like Zibby's, thus he has a hard time scoring from far out. His biggest obstacle to becoming a top 6 point producer is, without a doubt, his hands. He fumbles so many scoring chances because he can't handle pucks very well. He has little in the way of finish, despite possessing this "elite shot" because he is lacking in basic talent with the puck. His poor puck skills go hand in hand with his lack of creativity. So many times a hole in the opposing defense would emerge, but instead of exploiting it Silf would go wide with it, effectively killing the scoring chance. He did skate much better as the season went on, and showed flashes of top 6 talent, but it wasn't enough to meet expectations.

Agreed, but you're being too harsh. Silf can still be a two-way top 6 forward. I don't disagree with anything specifically, but those flaws you're describing aren't THAT bad, and will improve as he gets comfortable obviously.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All I can say is that anyone who thinks Zibanejad had a better year or is the better player right now didn't watch this team. Argue potential, sure, but Silfverberg is currently very clearly a better player.

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I'll go with the guy who was the captain of his team and led his club to win the SEL championship. Oh, and he has his own chant because he's so good.

OH, AH, SILFVERBERG, SAY OH AH SILFVERBERG!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Given the diversity of opinions, seems like a good question to ask. Every snes fan should be very happy to have both.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Went with ZIbanehad. He has a wire of a shot, defensively responsible and great two-way game too. Oh, can play with an edge and goes to the net as needed. Funny because before I would have taken Couturier over him but now it seems Mika has the more rounded progression.

Silfverberg...disappoints. He's obviously a good two-way player but I'm really unsure of whether he has the offensive skills to get to 25+ goal level. I could see him going 15-20 goals, 20-30 assists for 40-50 points though. There's a few images, good and bad I'll remember of him this season. One was a game, I think vs. Buffalo, where he just went to the net and scored and got a multi-point game. The other was in the big brawl vs. Montreal, he just scooted back to sit on the bench, I was like...wow.

As for the SEL stuff, nice resumé but don't mean nuthin' no more. Don't think anyone on Pittsburgh gave a **** about that, nor will anyone else he faces in the NHL in the future.
This is the top league in the world, he needs to step it up if we are going to have anything resembling success in the post-season in the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad