Zibby vs. Silf

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Silf by personal preference but it is a tossup and zibby will most likely win.

WilderPegasus*

Silly poll. Why not throw Pageau and Lehner in while you're at it?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Silfv now. Zibanejad future. I have big hopes for Z.

However, Silfverberg's opportunity is available but Zibanejad's not really(Spezza and Turris ahead) so hmmm.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
theres lots of arguments,

i will say first and most importantly, WE ARE LUCKY WE HAVE BOTH.

Zibby while being three years younger, managed to pruduce one more point then silf did in the regular season while playing less games, he had a mean assist streak ( perhaps a future flash, of his playmaking abilities ? )

Silf, had 1 less point then Zibanejad BUT, everyone here knows the crazy amount of hockey this guy played while Zibby was out with a concussion, if you had a tv you could clearly see Silf getting flat out gassed, He had no stamina and that hit his production hard, Silf has one of the "great releases" a shot that is compared to Semin's (a 40 goal scorer, might i add ) , Silf was on pace for 17 goals in his ROOKIE season, even though he is 22 that is realy young, colin greening scored 17 goals last season at the age of 26 WHILE playing on Spezza's wing... Silf was playing on Zibby's and Turris's wing all season, not quite the same.

Both these guys are gonna get better, and you cant compare these two, because, one is Sniper Winger and the other is a Playmaking Center,

a little of topic.
Those who are not putting silfverberg in their untouchables list should be ready to eat serious crow very soon.

TheOriginalSilf*

After seeing both of them play this past year in a full (well, kind of) season, I'll go with Zibanejad. It's clear that he possesses immense talent that is just waiting to be untapped and shown at a consistent rate. He played like one would expect a young rookie coming over to NA would most of the time, but he showed many glimpses of exceptional play.

Silfverberg will probably end up being a good 2nd line winger and I'll be plenty happy with that. I just don't believe Silf has the ceiling that Zibanejad has.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
My assessment:

Shot: Silf
Vision: Silf
2-way game: Silf

Scoring: Zib
Passing: Zib
Skating: Zib
Hitting: Zib

Compete level: Tie

That being said, I still think Silf still has a lot more to give once he adapts to the NHL level. I think his vision and 2-way game will make him the better player long term.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That tragic cold streak for Zibby in Bingo is still a bit on my mind as well.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
My assessment:

Shot: Silf
Vision: Silf
2-way game: Silf

Scoring: Zib
Passing: Zib
Skating: Zib
Hitting: Zib

Compete level: Tie

That being said, I still think Silf still has a lot more to give once he adapts to the NHL level. I think his vision and 2-way game will make him the better player long term.

It's not as simple as saying Zibanejad is a better skater, or Silfverberg has a better shot.

Mika is a more explosive skater, but Jakob has more stability and awareness when it comes to skating.

Silfverberg has a quicker release and a more accurate shot, but Zibanejad has a top-end one timer and puts heat on all his shots.

It's too close to tell between these two right now. Zibanejad has the higher ceiling based on raw physical abilities, but I think over the course of a career Silfverberg's style is more sustainable, hence my vote for Jakob.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Zib has the most potential and given what he showed this year I believe he's just as likely to reach that potential as Silfverberg is. Zbad just gives me a really good vibe. I really think Murray made the right choice with him.

Milan the God*

It was pretty even going into the season.

One year doesn't really change anything for me. It's too early to tell.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
For me, I'd probably go with Zibby.

But its more because I had higher expectations for Silf, and lower ones for Zibby. I think Silf came close to meeting expectations most of the time, but fell short occasionally. Where as I expected Zibby to not be as good, but I think he pretty much was.

Both could benefit from playing a bit less time on ice, and working up to top 6 min, IMO.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
A new classic to go with the old ones :naughty:

spezza vs fisher
heatley vs spezza
karlsson vs rundblad

I was always in the camp that believed zibanejad if everything clicked would be our most dominant forward post rebuild. But to me at times he seems passive, while silf always seems willing to engage and that shot.... :drool

Too early for me to decide, both are studs though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Silfverberg is pretty clearly better now and I have him in the future, too. He just looked tired near the end of the year while some of our other forwards were better rested. He also played the 2nd toughest competition among forwards on our team (highest was Latendresse but he only played 27 games to Silfverberg's 48) while having the highest +/- and a very respectable point total.

I'm very confident that Silfverberg will have the better and more consistent career. Zibanejad has a high upside, but I think his career will be a bit more volatile.

There's just too much to like about Silfverberg that I feel Zibanejad can't overcome. Essentially the only areas I see Zibanejad with an advantage are speed and physicality. Otherwise I think Silfverberg is better at everything and will continue to be moving forward.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There's just too much to like about Silfverberg that I feel Zibanejad can't overcome. Essentially the only areas I see Zibanejad with an advantage are speed and physicality. Otherwise I think Silfverberg is better at everything and will continue to be moving forward.

Saying the only advantage a hockey player has is speed and physicality is like saying a pitcher's only advantage is his control and velocity. Those are enormously important areas for NHL forwards.

Zibanejad had a better year than Silfverberg being almost 3 years younger with a lot less quality development time in the SEL and AHL. Like many scouts felt, Zibanejad's game is tailor made for NHL hockey. He's a quick study and has played many roles in his young career. Team Sweden wanted a checker, got it. Maclean needed a good energy player, he got it, as both center and winger. Then he needed a 2nd line center and he got it. He scores, he hits, he defends, he adjusts.

Silfverberg was great this year and I think it's safe to say we found ourselves a top 6 guy who has a long future ahead of him. The chemistry between him and Zibanejad makes me shake with excitement. It may carry this team to a new level.

But at this time, Zibanejad is the better and more valuable player. He's gonna be a guy that opposing coaches remind their players about in pregame meetings. Silf is a complementary player to guys like Zibanejad or Spezza or Turris. A Lehtinen type who will never show his full worth on the score sheet.

Z has only scratched the surface whereas what we've seen of Silfverberg is much closer to what we'll be seeing out of him on a year to year basis. He'll be good, no doubt but Mika will be great.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Zibanejad had a better year than Silfverberg being almost 3 years younger with a lot less quality development time in the SEL and AHL.

He did not have a better year than Silfverberg at all.

But at this time, Zibanejad is the better and more valuable player. He's gonna be a guy that opposing coaches remind their players about in pregame meetings. Silf is a complementary player to guys like Zibanejad or Spezza or Turris. A Lehtinen type who will never show his full worth on the score sheet.

Z has only scratched the surface whereas what we've seen of Silfverberg is much closer to what we'll be seeing out of him on a year to year basis. He'll be good, no doubt but Mika will be great.

We'll agree to disagree. Silfverberg was very clearly a better player than Zibanejad this year. He has been at every level. That will continue. There were times this year where Silfverberg was dominant for stretches and the only reason he didn't completely break out this year is because it was his first year in North America playing a completely different game and having a much tougher schedule than normal (he also played the most games out of any player on our team). Silfverberg was the one that the coach consistently put out against the top players of the other team, not Zibanejad.

People are blinded because Zibanejad is fast, big, hits and is a former 6th overall. He's got a ways to go yet before he's as good as Silfverberg is -- and I don't think he'll ever be as good at the same time. Again, you can think that Zibanejad is going to become some superstar, and he looked good this year, but he's never dominated at any level including against younger players. Silfverbeg has shown the ability to go above and beyond and he has never shown any kind of struggles developing. He will adapt to the NHL and he will be a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->