Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad+2018 2nd for Brassard+2018 7th | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We'll see if Brassard can spark Ryan. To be perfectly honest, Zibanejad wasn't the best fit for Bobby, and they were pretty much glued to each other most of the time.

Last season, Bobby had 45 points in 52 games (until Feb 6th). That's a 71 point pace. Then he falls off a cliff.

The year before, he had 48 points in 58 games (until March 6th). That's a 68 point pace. Then he falls off a cliff.

For some reason, BR seems to drop off massively at around the 55-60 game mark. Sens fans have no idea. He's consistently a top producer until then, but after that....... wheeeeeee.... he dips.

Here's a post I made in the Habs vs Sens top 6 thread.

Last year Ryan sucked by Feb 6th, and the year before it was until March 6th approximatively.

If he can just bring those two together and add an extra month of consistency, we're good. Doesn't seem that much to ask, and I think Ryan is very aware of that deficiency of his and I think PD must have clearly spoken to him about it.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Exactly.

The Ryan we got from Oct-Jan last season is a perennial all-star candidate.
The Ryan we got from Feb-April is a $2.5mil/year role player.

I get it if you don't like the late-season swan dive and criticize him for disappearing during the playoff crunch, that makes sense. But to harp on him when he's on his game accomplishes nothing whatsoever, other than showing your bias.

Or maybe it's frustration from the fact that you expect your highest paid player to be consistent instead of playing the role of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Or the role of Houdini when the going gets tough (2nd part of the season for this bubble team)?

I won't call anybody biased for hating on Ryan's game - everybody's entitled to their opinions here. The guy deserves a lot of the flak he gets here, which doesn't really bother him since I doubt he is online reading HF posts deriding him. Whether it's physical or mental, Ryan needs to play a more consistent role for this team to go anywhere. I am sure most here not dancing on Ryan Pom Poms are dying to eat a Ryan crow.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What's certain is that this season is very important for Ryan. He's under performed for long stretches for 2 seasons in a row now.

What happens if he does it again? Do the Sens trade him to Vegas (who will be lacking forwards) for a dman? Do they see if his spot can be filled internally (White) or look into free agency? We'll see but I have a feeling that this will be a good season for him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Or maybe it's frustration from the fact that you expect your highest paid player to be consistent instead of playing the role of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

I understand frustration.

If you are misrepresenting facts out of frustration though, that's when I have to call you out on it. You can be frustrated all you want, and with Ryan there's enough there for most of us to feel that way at least sometimes, but there's no excuse for misrepresenting facts.

Like, there's enough wrong with Ryan's annual late-season swoon that you don't have to go around misrepresenting his entire season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What's certain is that this season is very important for Ryan. He's under performed for long stretches for 2 seasons in a row now.

What happens if he does it again? Do the Sens trade him to Vegas (who will be lacking forwards) for a dman? Do they see if his spot can be filled internally (White) or look into free agency? We'll see but I have a feeling that this will be a good season for him.

He has an NMC.

He isn't going anywhere.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He has an NMC.

He isn't going anywhere.

He can only block 10 teams. That leaves 20 teams that he has no say over.

If we wanted to move him, I think it would be entirely possible, though we might have to be creative, or be willing to hold onto some salary.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

He has an NMC.

He isn't going anywhere.

He can only block 10 teams. That leaves 20 teams that he has no say over.

If we wanted to move him, I think it would be entirely possible, though we might have to be creative, or be willing to hold onto some salary.

Guys if we're discussing trading Ryan etc, take it to the Bobby thread. If you want to talk about Brassard's influence on Ryan, that's fine.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Because some of us see the absurdity of your opinion of his hockey IQ. You've consistently said he doesn't have one even before he played for the team. You're just talking out of your ass to be frank about it. He may not be on the same level as some elite players but you don't score 50+ points as 21 year old without a good hockey IQ.

I see a player that moves well enough without the puck, a lot of his goals come off of him getting open for a nice feed. That's demonstrating hockey IQ.

Sorry bud it's well below average his hockey iq. He is a terrible playmaker and has difficulty finding his line mates on a consistent basis. Just because you put up 50 points doesn't mean you have great nhl hockey iq.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I understand frustration.

If you are misrepresenting facts out of frustration though, that's when I have to call you out on it. You can be frustrated all you want, and with Ryan there's enough there for most of us to feel that way at least sometimes, but there's no excuse for misrepresenting facts.

Like, there's enough wrong with Ryan's annual late-season swoon that you don't have to go around misrepresenting his entire season.

Agreed Radek, frustration is the keyword here because you can see the talent in stretches/streaks. Not his fault that he is getting paid, we all wanna get paid, dollah dollah show me the dollah (or dolleur in French)...but if Ryan becomes more consistent, a BIG if, then the top-9 on this team is as good as anybody in Atlantic, maybe with the humble exception of Tampa Bay.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Most of us really like Brassard coming in. I think as a lefty he should be paired with Ryan and I think it will help Ryan simplify his game to his strengths. Brassard is more of a vet as well so he can hopefully help keep Ryan playing hard and producing more consistently. We need some internal leadership and Mac's return along with Phaneuf to start the season and now Brassard I hope they can help keep the boys focused.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sorry bud it's well below average his hockey iq. He is a terrible playmaker and has difficulty finding his line mates on a consistent basis. Just because you put up 50 points doesn't mean you have great nhl hockey iq.

But....was it a lack of hockey IQ, or a lack of confidence?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Lack of iq. It was my biggest gripe with him heading into his draft year. He didn't distribute the puck or use his teammates well.

I've called him the soft version if Mike fisher many times around here.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Well its a week after the trade.

I'm still not attached to the team as I was before the trade, but I still can't tell myself the sens aren't the team I root above all. Just sucks to lose 5 of your six fav players in consecutive offseasons, (Alf, Silf, Spezza, Lehner, and the above all fav Zibby.) Its about the crest on the front not the name on the back.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Its about the crest on the front not the name on the back.

This! It's not good to fall in love with a player otherwise you will miss opportunities to improve the team. Loyalty is nice but may not win you a cup. Hockey is, foremost, a business.

Last edited by a moderator:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well its a week after the trade.

I'm still not attached to the team as I was before the trade, but I still can't tell myself the sens aren't the team I root above all. Just sucks to lose 5 of your six fav players in consecutive offseasons, (Alf, Silf, Spezza, Lehner, and the above all fav Zibby.) Its about the crest on the front not the name on the back.

Interesting that 4 of the 5 are Swedes & all replaced by NA players, I wonder if there is a slight shift in philosophy happening under PD?

MacArthur - Alfredsson
Ryan - Silf
Hammond - Lehner
Brassard - Zibby

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting that 4 of the 5 are Swedes & all replaced by NA players, I wonder if there is a slight shift in philosophy happening under PD?

MacArthur - Alfredsson
Ryan - Silf
Hammond - Lehner
Brassard - Zibby

wth...

Alfredsson wasn't let go, he left due to a contract dispute. Not a philosophical change. These changes have nothing to do with nationality, at least there is literally no indication of that being the case.

We still draft guys from Sweden; it's unlikely we have had a philosophical change but draft guys against that philosophy.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
The North-American players are actually just stop-gaps until Dorion can implement his all-Slovenian philosophy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We traded Silf for a clear upgrade offensively (seriously, Silfverberg is great, so over-rated here. Even Ryan infuriating everyone still scores 20 more points than Silfs best season)

Alfie was lost, we never wanted to lose him, it wasn't a mutual departure.

Lehner got us a 1st (Colin White), Hammond drove us to a Cinderella playoffs, all while becoming a PR machine. I don't think Hammond is a good NHL goalie at all, but with Lehners "holier than thou attitude", along with Hammonds emergence and signing O'Conner, it was a move that could be made. If Lehner was named John Smith, the trade still would have been made.

Zib was traded for an immediate, yet to be determined how long, upgrade. Brassard fits the teams structure like a glove, while Zib stuck out like a sore thumb. Again, if Zib's name was Bob Jones, the trade would still have been made.

The nationality conspiracy **** is so stupid.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

MacArthur - Alfredsson
Ryan - Silf
Hammond - Lehner
Brassard - Zibby

I don't see how you can make a nationality case out of this.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lack of iq. It was my biggest gripe with him heading into his draft year. He didn't distribute the puck or use his teammates well.

I'm not so sure. He has had many flashes where he carried the puck and looked like he could be a dominant power forward for a game or two. And after he took over last season after Turris was pulled, he did make a lot of strides. You could see the confidence building.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Most of us really like Brassard coming in. I think as a lefty he should be paired with Ryan and I think it will help Ryan simplify his game to his strengths. Brassard is more of a vet as well so he can hopefully help keep Ryan playing hard and producing more consistently. We need some internal leadership and Mac's return along with Phaneuf to start the season and now Brassard I hope they can help keep the boys focused.

Agreed.

Mike Fisher to me was always a much tougher to play against than most ever gave him credit for. Whe Zibanejad was drafted he was suppose to be a big guy who could hit & bring some grit but we rarely ever saw that from him. Fisher on the other hand was pretty tough, he hit & was hard to play against & didn't seem to mind dropping the gloves when he had to.

I don't see how you can make a nationality case out of this.

I wasn't trying to make it about nationality but more about bringing in players who IMO are harder to play against & play a tougher style of hockey & hence maybe a slight change in philosophy.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I wasn't trying to make it about nationality but more about bringing in players who IMO are harder to play against & play a tougher style of hockey & hence maybe a slight change in philosophy.

Yeah, careful with this. The implication is that North American players play "tougher" and are "harder to play against," which could be seen as pretty offensive. And if you're talking about those specific players, I don't think anyone could ever reasonably argue that Alfredsson or Lehner were especially easy to play against.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So...
MacArthur is tougher to play against than Alfie?
Hammond is tougher to play against than Lehner?
Ryan tougher to play against than Silfverberg?
Brassard tougher to play against than Zibanejad (this one I can maybe buy into)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad