Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad+2018 2nd for Brassard+2018 7th | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Ryan hasn't looked dynamite in like 5 years.

Did he look dynamite in Anaheim? Because he has been about as productive here, if you look at where he finished in NHL scoring:

15/16 60th
14/15 75th
13/14 100th

Traded to Ottawa

12/13 86th
11/12 64th
10/11 21st
09/10 45th
08/09 76th

Or is a player only dynamite in their best season?

Ryan is right in the middle of the pack of "top line" players. His first year here was forgettable, but he has settled in quite well. We will likely never see him in the top 30 of scoring again, but does that really matter? He has the 22nd highest cap hit in the league, so he is certainly overpaid, but we have the room to pay him and each year his contract looks less bad as more players are signed to higher contracts. Him being overpaid is also balanced out by the steals that are Karlsson, Stone, Pageau and Turris.

And lets not forget he has had to play an awful lot with a kid who was shoehorned into our top 6. He will likely look much better with Brassard.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did he look dynamite in Anaheim? Because he has been about as productive here, if you look at where he finished in NHL scoring:

15/16 60th
14/15 75th
13/14 100th

Traded to Ottawa

12/13 86th
11/12 64th
10/11 21st
09/10 45th
08/09 76th

Or is a player only dynamite in their best season?

Ryan is right in the middle of the pack of "top line" players. His first year here was forgettable, but he has settled in quite well. We will likely never see him in the top 30 of scoring again, but does that really matter? He has the 22nd highest cap hit in the league, so he is certainly overpaid, but we have the room to pay him and each year his contract looks less bad as more players are signed to higher contracts. Him being overpaid is also balanced out by the steals that are Karlsson, Stone, Pageau and Turris.

And lets not forget he has had to play an awful lot with a kid who was shoehorned into our top 6. He will likely look much better with Brassard.

He's dynamite when he scores 30.

Actually. I retract what I said. He looked really really really good for his first like 30 games as a Sen. Other than that he's been dreadful.

Actually. Does Ryan even have it in him to be "dynamite"? What is dynamite. For me dynamite would be like bonafide first line gamebreaking dominating force. Can Ryan ever be that

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Actually. I retract what I said. He looked really really really good for his first like 30 games as a Sen. Other than that he's been dreadful.

Actually. Does Ryan even have it in him to be "dynamite"? What is dynamite. For me dynamite would be like bonafide first line gamebreaking dominating force. Can Ryan ever be that

He dangles and has definitely won us some games.

Alas, never quite good enough for your kind.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I bet nobody can name 3 elite centre's that lack hockey IQ

It's why I really don't understand all this talk that zibanejad had the tools to become one.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I bet nobody can name 3 elite centre's that lack hockey IQ

It's why I really don't understand all this talk that zibanejad had the tools to become one.

To use an outdated cross-sport comparison, he's the Jeff George of NHL center's :sarcasm:

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

Ryan played very well at the starts of all three of his seasons here. One could argue he was our best forward for the sens for the first 40 or so games of each season. Second half Ryan is a completely different player. If his seasons were reversed, people would be gaga over him right now. When he starts next season well, everyone will praise him again, and if he's playing with Brassard, everyone will be over the moon about that move. But he needs to show he can actually finish a year strong.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ryan played very well at the starts of all three of his seasons here. One could argue he was our best forward for the sens for the first 40 or so games of each season. Second half Ryan is a completely different player. If his seasons were reversed, people would be gaga over him right now. When he starts next season well, everyone will praise him again, and if he's playing with Brassard, everyone will be over the moon about that move. But he needs to show he can actually finish a year strong.

The last two years he did not start all that great. I don't know his point totals nor do I really care. He looked terrible.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You just seem a little down lately on everything. I hope this year ends up being positive enough to lift all of our spirits.

Results are good for sure, but it seems that this fan base needs a serious dose of hope and excitement. For whatever reason the last few years have sapped the enjoyment from quite a few posters.

I haven't looked forward to a season this much since the Pizza days, I hope it fits the bill. I don't need 0-100, but a solid system with guys playing to their strengths, a respectable PK and PP seem like not too much to ask this year.

Really looking forward to a year of Phaneuf and Ceci, and seeing what BrassGod can do with Ryan!

With Chabot/White/Brown at the door as well, we'll be adding some strong rookies over the next few years. Our top 9 is very good and very deep on offence, it's about team play and defence now.

Well said.

This fanbase does need hope and excitement. I think, part of the problem is, whenever the team tried a big change over the last few years (like the Ryan trade), they kinda fell flat. Or, we have a 'pesky' year and make the playoffs, then we all get our hopes up and start daydreaming about being a contender, and the team regresses next season. Or we get a kid winning a major award, only to have his achilles stomped on next season. We get another kid who looks like the next Roy/Brodeur, who falls back to earth next year.

Seems the last 4-5 years have been one step forward, one step back. It saps a lot of energy out of folks.

What really scares me, is the weight we are putting on our prospects to break out big time. Kids like White/Chabot/Brown...none of them are top 10 picks, but we're counting on them to have that top 5-10 potential. Feels like we're setting ourselves up for another ride on the rollercoaster.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There should be no more excuses.

This is the year where we should see improvements.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What really scares me, is the weight we are putting on our prospects to break out big time. Kids like White/Chabot/Brown...none of them are top 10 picks, but we're counting on them to have that top 5-10 potential. Feels like we're setting ourselves up for another ride on the rollercoaster.

I agree with everything you're saying, I just wanna nitpick this little bit haha.

I think first Brown is the closest to a top 10 pick you can get (11th), and he definitely has the skill and package of a top 10 pick.

Then you have Chabot and White who were picked in the 15-21 range in the deepest draft in over a decade. So I think they're kind of like top 10 picks, in a way.

That's all I wanted to say lol.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
League scoring is down. Where players are at compared to their peers is what matters. Not pure point totals.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Didn't someone post the other day showing Ryan is scoring higher by league overall position as a Sen than as a duck?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brassard better turn him into a 25+ Goal scorer and 60+ points.

I think playing with Brassard (or Turris) for a full season instead of having to carry Zibanejad offensively should be good for 5-10 points. Might push him above the 60 point mark for the first time in a Sens uniform.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I think playing with Brassard (or Turris) for a full season instead of having to carry Zibanejad offensively should be good for 5-10 points. Might push him above the 60 point mark for the first time in a Sens uniform.
Let's be honest. Ryan wasn't carrying nobody. He's annually dead weight for a 30 game stretch a season.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
The last two years he did not start all that great. I don't know his point totals nor do I really care. He looked terrible.

He looked flippin awful. I remember Zibanajad and Karlsson setting him up for some empty net goals to get him going.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
He looked flippin awful. I remember Zibanajad and Karlsson setting him up for some empty net goals to get him going.

First half Bobby Ryan was outstanding the past two years. Not sure what you were watching. Having said that, he really needs to put a full season together and finish strong.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
First half Bobby Ryan was outstanding the past two years. Not sure what you were watching. Having said that, he really needs to put a full season together and finish strong.

****ing this.

If anoyne thinks Bobby Ryan was bad from Oct-Jan last year, I honestly question whether or not that person even watches the sport.

From Feb-Apr, he was a ghost in "GhostTown, Pop: 1 - Bobby Ryan". Oct-Jan, he was a legit All Star. If you can't see that, you need new glasses or something.

Like, for christs's sakes, we're getting into "objectively obvious" territory here.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If Ryan has another season similar to the last two where he disappears for the last 30-40 games, I'll have a fit, and hopefully Dorion does as well and ships him out of town.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
****ing this.

If anoyne thinks Bobby Ryan was bad from Oct-Jan last year, I honestly question whether or not that person even watches the sport.

From Feb-Apr, he was a ghost in "GhostTown, Pop: 1 - Bobby Ryan". Oct-Jan, he was a legit All Star. If you can't see that, you need new glasses or something.

Like, for christs's sakes, we're getting into "objectively obvious" territory here.

100% agree

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
****ing this.

The past two years, our best Fwd in the first half was Bobby, and best in the 2nd half was Stone. Issue is, Stone is consistently a top 3 or 4 forward on our team, even in his down stretches, whereas Bobby can be as low as 8 or 9.

Is it disappointing? For sure. But to say that Bobby hasn't given us some great hockey is just... wrong.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
The past two years, our best Fwd in the first half was Bobby
Turris and Hoffman had a better first half last season.

Actually, come to think of it, Hoffman was the better player in the last two seasons. With the addition of BRASSard our forward depth looks like:

Stone
Turris
Brassard
Hoffman
Pageau
MacArthur/Ryan
MacArthur/Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad