Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad+2018 2nd for Brassard+2018 7th | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Ryan is a much more talented player than Zibby even at similar ages.

If Zibby hasn't shown that playmaking ability thus far I don't think he ever will

I think in an ideal world we get Ryan a more developed playmaking center which is exactly what we did

But if that because Ryan was suited to his role and Zibby wasn't suited to his?

Anyways, it was just a better cake and eat it too hypothetical (asset management & better fit, instead of one or the other). Where the 23yo winds up fitting better on our team at RW with say a Stastny/Ryan type swap where we only lose a year instead of 6 years in the player swap.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I do not like this trade. Zibby has done more at his age than Brassard did at a comparable age. Zibby looks like he will be the better player. Then the team gives a second round pick as well. This looks like a budget management trade to me with the Senators trying to keep the future 3 year budget at a certain level. The hockey performance was not the key driver for this trade; the future budget was.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
But if that because Ryan was suited to his role and Zibby wasn't suited to his?

Anyways, it was just a better cake and eat it too hypothetical (asset management & better fit, instead of one or the other). Where the 23yo winds up fitting better on our team at RW with say a Stastny/Ryan type swap where we only lose a year instead of 6 years in the player swap.

Im not too concerned about age tbh especially when we have pretty much fed Zibby a 2nd line role in the NHL and he hasn't shown to be a special player.

I agree though that he looks like a winger, perhaps a playmaking winger like Zuc will help him

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
When I first looked at this trade I was really upset, trading a player away that has all the tools to become an elite #1 C in this league. Now I've thought about it for a while, I understand it and think it could work. I wish we would of got a player more talented then Brassard but he does seem to excel when the pressure is on which is a player we could use.

The reason I think this was done:

1. If Zibanejad scores 60 points, he will be looking for a contract just like Scheifele ($6,125,000). Zib is not worth that much, unless becomes much more consistent.

2. Karlsson is 26, you rarely find a player this talented, its time to compete with this guy in his prime and Brassard will help do this now more then later. Also getting the LH center will help with face-offs and playmaking for our scorers as well.

3. We save money on real dollars, which allows us to sign not only Hoffman and Ceci but soon to be free agents, Turris/Stone/Pageau.

4. Zibanejad was always questioned about his work ethic, I'm not in the weight room or anything but we have all read this, could be a red flag for management.

5. Brassard becoming a UFA in three years will allow White and Brown to have the opportunity to take a top 6 center spot.

Last edited:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I do not like this trade. Zibby has done more at his age than Brassard did at a comparable age. Zibby looks like he will be the better player. Then the team gives a second round pick as well. This looks like a budget management trade to me with the Senators trying to keep the future 3 year budget at a certain level. The hockey performance was not the key driver for this trade; the future budget was.

I think performance was also a big part of it.

Bryan Murray was this team's GM for years.
- Young players were given a very wide berth to establish themselves, basically to the point of waiting until the next young player came and took his job.
- If vets were acquired, it was typically short term (deadline deals, 1-2 year deals).
- Everything was very safe and steady. I would also go so far as to say that asset management was a primary focus over on-ice performance.

The moves surrounding Phaneuf, Chiasson, Wiercioch and Brassard are something else entirely. This is a GM that isn't willing to wait on the kids forever, is willing to make risky moves, will use picks to make the deal he wants happen and won't sit back watching long term holes go unfilled for years and years. I think there's been a lot of creativity with Dorion and it's all being directed at making this team as competitive as possible now.

Brassard should be a better fit in many respects than Zibanejad and I think that Dorion made the deal with that in mind.

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
Ryan hasn't looked dynamite in like 5 years.

Watch that video of all of Zibby's goals. Ryan looks pretty dynamite driving the play and creating a scoring opportunity for Zibby in alot of those goals.

Maybe with a player like Brassard he doesn't have to do it so much and become more of a trigger man which I think would suit him better.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Totally disagree. If the sens thought Zibby is a good fit and will improve they could have traded him next summer if they thought his value would increase.

I think it has more to do with finding a better center for Ryan and Hoffman while making the sens a better team right now

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Totally disagree. If the sens thought Zibby is a good fit and will improve they could have traded him next summer if they thought his value would increase.

I think it has more to do with finding a better center for Ryan and Hoffman while making the sens a better team right now

Agreed. This looks to me like a hockey deal that just so happens to save the Sens some real $$$. Just because there's a cap-to-real dollars savings doesn't automatically make it a budget move. I like this move and I think it makes the Sens a better team for the next couple of years, while also potentially freeing up a spot when White or Brown are ready to take top-6 spots.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was really upset, trading a player away that has all the tools to become an elite #1 C in this league.

I like Zib but I disagree he looks like he is putting all together or trending in this direction. IMO he is better suited to the wing and should have developed there but he can likely be a serviceable 1B 2A Center.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Dude..... He looks dynamite to start every season.... He made the All-Star team....

You're right. Last two seasons, Ryan starts off looking like it'll finally be the year where he is a 30 goal 70 point forward for Ottawa. Something stupid happens like he breaks his finger, or he just fades off like he did during Ottawa's big run in 2015.

He had 13 goals/36 points in the first half of the season this year. He only had 9 goals and 20 points during the entire last half. We're talking about a 26 goal 72 point pace vs an 18 goal 40 point pace.

In 2015, he had 12 goals and 31 points in the first half, but only 6 goals and 23 points in the second half. So again, a huge difference. It would be a pace of 24/62 vs 12/43.

There has to be an issue with conditioning that the Senators need to (and supposedly are) addressing. But the numbers above are why I don't think it is crazy for anybody to think Ryan could have a 30 goal season with Ottawa. This isn't a guy who is scoring 20 goals and 50 points evenly spread out throughout the entire year. This is a guy who has a clear pattern of being a top 10 winger offensively during the first half of the season, and then falling off during the second half.

I'm not sure where Ryan ranked statistically at each point of the season, but to put things in perspective, last year 26 goals and 72 points he was on pace for in the first half would have put him 15th in points ahead of a lot of great players.

When a guy has a pattern like this, it isn't as easy as just thinking it can be broken because it is recognized. But it is fair to say at times Ryan has looked elite while playing for Ottawa, he just hasn't been able to sustain his production passed the first half of the season. If I am a fantasy hockey guy, and Ryan's value isn't high in my league because his numbers on paper have been subpar for the last three years, he's a guy I take this year. The Senators being proactive about his conditioning this off season, plus the arrival of a left handed playmaking centre in Brassard could put Ryan in a position to have a career year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Either way, the deal is done. Might as well look forward with this thing.

Yes, that is what we must do. Having rendered my opinion in writing, I have the pleasure of looking forward to saying "I told you so", or "admitting I was wrong". :)

YOW

Nov 17, 2013
oceanview cabin
I'm ok with the trade. Zibby was drafted on potential and called a 'raw' talent. Patience required-ok. He's trended upwards every year but is IMO uninspiring. He doesn't mesh with his linemates well or drive possession but still manages decent stats.
I don't think he's a bad player by any means but I always think of him as half asleep and his commitment to conditioning seemed lackadaisical.

It's a bad reference but I'm thinking 'sometimes you don't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need'

Welcome Brassard and best of luck/potential Zibby. :yo:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Yes, that is what we must do. Having rendered my opinion in writing, I have the pleasure of looking forward to saying "I told you so", or "admitting I was wrong". :)

And that's the perfect way to express an opinion that makes message boarding fun. You didn't like it, stated why and now won't pick it apart for months and years to come.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Isn't Rangers in a semi rebuild mode anyway. Not sure they'll even make the playoffs next season. Will probably end up 14-18th, just like Ottawa.

But with a better defence and goalie, I can see Zibby having a productive season offensively in New York. Perhaps he'll be more free to focus more on the offence and less on the defence.

Here he looked scared to carry the puck or even handle it for more than a split second.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Isn't Rangers in a semi rebuild mode anyway. Not sure they'll even make the playoffs next season. Will probably end up 14-18th, just like Ottawa.

But with a better defence and goalie, I can see Zibby having a productive season offensively in New York. Perhaps he'll be more free to focus more on the offence and less on the defence.

Here he looked scared to carry the puck or even handle it for more than a split second.

Lundqvist alone will get them into the playoffs.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Lundqvist alone will get them into the playoffs.

Yep, Henrik is like an elite QB, can cover up for a lot of flaws with a team. I do think the Rangers will miss Brassard more than they realize (to be fair they probably do realize that, but are willing to make the trade-off), but they are in a bit of a retool mode and need Zibanejad's younger age more than we do. Trade does work out for both teams.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You know I don't see myself as a doom and gloom type. I get just as hyped up about decisions that I like as anybody

You just seem a little down lately on everything. I hope this year ends up being positive enough to lift all of our spirits.

Results are good for sure, but it seems that this fan base needs a serious dose of hope and excitement. For whatever reason the last few years have sapped the enjoyment from quite a few posters.

I haven't looked forward to a season this much since the Pizza days, I hope it fits the bill. I don't need 0-100, but a solid system with guys playing to their strengths, a respectable PK and PP seem like not too much to ask this year.

Really looking forward to a year of Phaneuf and Ceci, and seeing what BrassGod can do with Ryan!

With Chabot/White/Brown at the door as well, we'll be adding some strong rookies over the next few years. Our top 9 is very good and very deep on offence, it's about team play and defence now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You just seem a little down lately on everything. I hope this year ends up being positive enough to lift all of our spirits.

Results are good for sure, but it seems that this fan base needs a serious dose of hope and excitement. For whatever reason the last few years have sapped the enjoyment from quite a few posters.

I haven't looked forward to a season this much since the Pizza days, I hope it fits the bill. I don't need 0-100, but a solid system with guys playing to their strengths, a respectable PK and PP seem like not too much to ask this year.

Really looking forward to a year of Phaneuf and Ceci, and seeing what BrassGod can do with Ryan!

With Chabot/White/Brown at the door as well, we'll be adding some strong rookies over the next few years. Our top 9 is very good and very deep on offence, it's about team play and defence now.

I think the Feeling around the fanbase will ramp up if brown white chabot have big years this year.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Im a fan TBH. Brassard brings some things we need (lefty, good on the PP, actually competes, experience).

People talk like he is ancient. He will be 32 when his contract ends. We are getting his best years. By then we may have Brown and White playing in the NHL.

I was a Zibby fan, but my patience was wearing very thin. He had no compete. He was the ultimate floater. He also seemed to be an anchor. Any line he was on floundered. Anyone he played with floundered. In my mind he was handily passed by JGP last year and was pretty expendable. Maybe he will turn it around in NY, but that doesn't mean he would have here. Hopefully he takes this trade as a wake up call. His potential is quite high, I just didn't see much to show he would ever reach it.

Brassard makes this team better and fits the medium term plan better IMO. And I seriously think this team needs guys who are older. We need experience. You can be too young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad