Zegras or Wright

Zegras or Wright

• Total voters

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't see how that's unlikely? Everything he's done so far in his career has been better than what Zegras did at the same age. Just because he's been a bit underwhelming a few months this season as a result of missing out on an entire season doesn't mean he just stopped developing. Most likely it just pushed his development another year. Not sure what standards or metrics you are using to make those claims, feel free to elaborate if you wish.

His skillset just doesn't translate in such a way. He lacks the high end offensive tools, aside from a terrific snap shot, that Zegras possessed at the same age. His skating lacks dynamism, his vision is good not great, and he doesn't really have the ability to create more time and space for himself when defenders collapse on him.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
His skillset just doesn't translate in such a way. He lacks the high end offensive tools, aside from a terrific snap shot, that Zegras possessed at the same age. His skating lacks dynamism, his vision is good not great, and he doesn't really have the ability to create more time and space for himself when defenders collapse on him.
Naw I don't think your Wright.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
One thing about Wright that I really like is that during the interviews he always talks about trying to emulate Bergeron rather than Crosby because "Bergeron is the more attainable talent" -- to me that shows a guy who will constantly work his butt off to improve his game, which is so much more important than whatever stats he puts up when he's 15, 16, 17 or even 20. Plus he scored more PPG than McDavid did when they were both 15 (same league), so he can't be terrible at hockey.

Will he eventually become a dominant NHL player? Maybe, maybe not. Does he have at least a decent skillset now, and will he keep trying to get better every single year? Yes, I think he will try. Which is a really good combination.

So, I have faith in the guy. More faith than I had in Nail Yakupov (one of Brian Burke's worst pre-draft interviews) or Mr. "no one remembers who's drafted #2" Alex Daigle (incidentally 2OA was Chris Pronger, Paul Kariya was in that draft class also)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
One thing about Wright that I really like is that during the interviews he always talks about trying to emulate Bergeron rather than Crosby because "Bergeron is the more attainable talent" -- to me that shows a guy who will constantly work his butt off to improve his game, which is so much more important than whatever stats he puts up when he's 15, 16, 17 or even 20. Plus he scored more PPG than McDavid did when they were both 15 (same league), so he can't be terrible at hockey.

Will he eventually become a dominant NHL player? Maybe, maybe not. Does he have at least a decent skillset now, and will he keep trying to get better every single year? Yes, I think he will try. Which is a really good combination.

So, I have faith in the guy. More faith than I had in Nail Yakupov (one of Brian Burke's worst pre-draft interviews) or Mr. "no one remembers who's drafted #2" Alex Daigle (incidentally 2OA was Chris Pronger, Paul Kariya was in that draft class also)

I agree with a lot here. Wright comes across as a hard working kid who is aware of his limitations. He is an intelligent player and will be a very good long term NHL'er that brings a lot to the table even if he's not scoring a bunch.

I think Bergeron is stylistically an okay comparable, but Wright doesn't possess the same hockey IQ or competitiveness/intensity. A better comparison is probably a Reinhart/Monahan hybrid type of player IMO. I expect him to be a consistent threat for 20-30 goals and 45-65 points in his prime as a reliable 2 way center.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I agree with a lot here. Wright comes across as a hard working kid who is aware of his limitations. He is an intelligent player and will be a very good long term NHL'er that brings a lot to the table even if he's not scoring a bunch.

I think Bergeron is stylistically an okay comparable, but Wright doesn't possess the same hockey IQ or competitiveness/intensity. A better comparison is probably a Reinhart/Monahan hybrid type of player IMO. I expect him to be a consistent threat for 20-30 goals and 45-65 points in his prime as a reliable 2 way center.

I think it's way premature to come to this sort of conclusion on him. I think it's obvious that Wright will never be the flashy player that Zegras is, but I think far too many people are equating that to mean he can't ever be a better player than him. I picked Wright in this, just because he's further ahead at the same age, and he's obviously ahead of his peers who are the same age.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Hockey IQ increases with games played -- look at any rookie (other than freaks like Cale Makar) and see all the mistakes they make in their rookie years. Put another way look at a player like Datsyuk who was a turnover machine in his first year before a career spent dominating the league possession-wise. I agree Wright seems like an intelligent player so I think his hockey IQ will increase exponentially his first few years in the league.

To your other point, imo an average of 45-65 points is a low expectation for him. After seeing Nico Hischier live a few times that's about where I think Hischier will end up (you're a Devils fan so you've probably seen more of Hischier, curious about your opinion on him). Do I think Wright will be better offensively than Hischier? Absolutely. You've seen Wright a few times and you disagree which is ok too.

But anyway back to the poll, if Wright ends up with a career even close to Bergeron's (which I think is likely) I'd choose him over Zegras on my team (Coyotes). Not the flashiest player but a guy who plays the right way (ha) and a player you can build an SC contending core around. Our most recent 1st rounder Guenther's looked like a pretty good goalscorer in the minors and if Clayton Keller keeps showing his rookie year wasn't a fluke that's a good top line that wouldn't be a liability defensively.

Zegras could be as good also, but Zegras didn't really blow up until last year's WJC and it's still possible his last six months could be a fluke. Don't get me wrong I'd still love to have Zegras on my team (anybody would) but I would prefer Shane Wright if we get the chance to draft him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad