Zegras or Wright

Zegras or Wright

• Total voters

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Wright had a slow start after not playing last season. Hes not underperforming.

Despite the slow start Wright is likely going to put up an over 100 point pace in the OHL this year as a draft eligible who is really, really good defensively for his age. The only reason he wont actually hit 100 points is that hes going to miss a bunch of time playing for Canada at the WJC as a draft eligible in his draft year.

It would be hard to take Wright over Zegras with how good he is in the NHL already, but its not because Wright is underperforming. And I wont be surprised at all if Wright is actually better in the NHL at all, just probably not worth the risk vs what you know youre getting from Zegras

Highly debatable. His current pace is 83 points* (he will miss few games (5) due to the WJC)

Sure, his point production of recent, indicates 100 point draft season
but...that's only 5 games (12 points), small sample size cliche.

* 5 games prior his pace was 66 points.

Put to a context, his team mates Edmonds current pace is 142 points....

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Highly debatable. His current pace is 83 points* (he will miss few games (5) due to the WJC)

Sure, his point production of recent, indicates 100 point draft season
but...that's only 5 games (12 points), small sample size cliche.

* 5 games prior his pace was 66 points.

Put to a context, his team mates Edmonds current pace is 142 points....

For a guy who mostly only uses stats on here, youre off on this one.

Hes actually on pace for 93 points right now, despite the slow start. I said pace because hes going to miss games for the WJC. His points from the entire season are already close to a 100 point pace

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
For a guy who mostly only uses stats on here, youre off on this one.

Hes actually on pace for 93 points right now, despite the slow start. I said pace because hes going to miss games for the WJC. His points from the entire season are already close to a 100 point pace

In full 68 games yeah, 7 shy of 100, but he will not play 68 games, so its a moot point.

I did calculate a bit off, he is pace for 85 points (in 63 games), which is still 15 points shy of 100

His 5 game hot streak pace won't last the entire regular season.

I'll reckon he will finish the season with 70-80 points in 63 games.
and if Canada won't win the gold and Wright does not win the scoring title....

But lets wait and see and not speculate.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In full 68 games yeah, 7 shy of 100, but he will not play 68 games, so its a moot point.

I did calculate a bit off, he is pace for 85 points (in 63 games), which is still 15 points shy of 100

His 5 game hot streak pace won't last the entire regular season.

I'll reckon he will finish the season with 70-80 points in 63 games.
and if Canada won't win the gold and Wright does not win the scoring title....

But lets wait and see and not speculate.

When you talk about pace, the number of actual games played is irrelevant. A 100 point pace just means if you extrapolate out to 68 games, it would be 100 points.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Offensively Zegras

More complete Wright

I also see Wright scoring 40 goals there and there

I take Wright

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's interesting how these poll results have started to shift since the WJC has begun (i.e. since most people have actually been able to see Wright play this year). Zegras has been winning like 65-70% of the vote since that point.

This poll was a dead draw after the first 150 votes or so.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It's interesting how these poll results have started to shift since the WJC has begun (i.e. since most people have actually been able to see Wright play this year). Zegras has been winning like 65-70% of the vote since that point.

This poll was a dead draw after the first 150 votes or so.
Ya it's strange how ONE game can change the minds of many. :popcorn:

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I do realize that. It's still not justification to pick a prospect like Wright over star like Zegras.

Draft position is the laziest justification for picking one player over another.

Also I don't think Wright is or will be the consensus #1 pick. He's just flat out not that good.
I mean I can see Zegras over Wright; that 2019 draft is insane

but Wright is definitely good, hes a unanimous #1 on elite prospects right now and probably is having an 'off' year at just a hair over PPG due to missing an entire season the year prior

a delay in his progress doesnt erase that he was 2PPG twice in a row before scoring over a PPG in the OHL at 15-16

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I mean I can see Zegras over Wright; that 2019 draft is insane

but Wright is definitely good, hes a unanimous #1 on elite prospects right now and probably is having an 'off' year at just a hair over PPG due to missing an entire season the year prior

a delay in his progress doesnt erase that he was 2PPG twice in a row before scoring over a PPG in the OHL at 15-16

I don't see what relevance his performance at 15/16 has to do with the player he is now.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I don't see what relevance his performance at 15/16 has to do with the player he is now.
It matters the most, in fact more than most prospects in history - did we already forget there was a pandemic that took away over twelve months of his hockey development, in more ways then one?

He was an absolute stud before covid, choosing to ignore that doesn't change that it happened and is what we have best to judge him off of; not his first 22 games after 12+ months off, where hes still over PPG while being 'off'

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It matters the most, in fact more than most prospects in history - did we already forget there was a pandemic that took away over twelve months of his hockey development, in more ways then one?

He was an absolute stud before covid, choosing to ignore that doesn't change that it happened and is what we have best to judge him off of; not his first 22 games after 12+ months off, where hes still over PPG while being 'off'

He wasn't the only kid who went through the pandemic and wasn't really able to play.

He looked fine at the U18, which was not 12+ months ago.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
He wasn't the only kid who went through the pandemic and wasn't really able to play.

He looked fine at the U18, which was not 12+ months ago.
I dont understand what you're arguing then

Im not claiming hes sick or anything, so what do you mean by 'fine'? Im trying to explain why he might not look as good today compared to where he was turning 16, and its because he missed an excessive amount of time

and no, not really many prospects went through this in the grand scheme. He just so happens to be part of that group - and it very much matters and tells us we should give him this year to adjust back to normal

You claimed you dont see much in him and I was simply explaining why many do - hes 22 games back from a very long and awkward hiatus, hes 17 and still PPG he will be fine and probably score 2PPG toward the end of the year

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I dont understand what you're arguing then

Im not claiming hes sick or anything, so what do you mean by 'fine'? Im trying to explain why he might not look as good today compared to where he was turning 16, and its because he missed an excessive amount of time

and no, not really many prospects went through this in the grand scheme. He just so happens to be part of that group - and it very much matters and tells us we should give him this year to adjust back to normal

You claimed you dont see much in him and I was simply explaining why many do - hes 22 games back from a very long and awkward hiatus, hes 17 and still PPG he will be fine and probably score 2PPG toward the end of the year

My point was that Wright is far from a guarantee to go first in this draft, nor should he be at this point. Sure, if he turns it around at the WJC and has a strong finish in the OHL, he should probably go 1st, but at this point that's looking less and less likely.

But beyond that, draft position is a terrible way in general to compare players.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
My point was that Wright is far from a guarantee to go first in this draft, nor should he be at this point. Sure, if he turns it around at the WJC and has a strong finish in the OHL, he should probably go 1st, but at this point that's looking less and less likely.

But beyond that, draft position is a terrible way in general to compare players.
Funny how the experts disagree with you. If you watched the game yesterday then you must have heard numerous times how he is still the consensus number one pick let alone the last posted draft rankings.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Funny how the experts disagree with you. If you watched the game yesterday then you must have heard how he is still the consensus number one pick or were your ears set on closed.
I don't care if the experts agree or now. Bob McKenzie was just on saying that Wright may still be the consensus at this point, but that many scouts have been a bit underwhelmed, and that the gap may continue to close.

Not that is matters to me, but if you determine your opinions based on the opinions of others, I figured you'd want to know that.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I don't care if the experts agree or now. Bob McKenzie was just on saying that Wright may still be the consensus at this point, but that many scouts have been a bit underwhelmed, and that the gap may continue to close.

Not that is matters to me, but if you determine your opinions based on the opinions of others, I figured you'd want to know that.
I tend to think that experts in their field should hold more weight than the opinions of some Tom, Dick or Harry.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Sweet reality. The lottery ticket to win a boat, could maybe be as good as this boat we already have.
Nice on trying to put total different spin on the question.
You must be thinking of a different thread because there's no lottery ticket to win in this thread.
Using your analysis it would be which boat would you rather have. The one you own which floats or the new one on the market.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Nice on trying to put total different spin on the question.
You must be thinking of a different thread because there's no lottery ticket to win in this thread.
Using your analysis it would be which boat would you rather have. The one you own which floats or the new one on the market.
Zegras was speed boat in WJC and won. Wright looks like he is part of the Iraqi navy with holes he has.

With that said, only way to is up for Wright, so let's see what happens.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
For a "Zegras vs. Wright" debate, there really isn't a lot of comparing being done between the two.

Zegras is just one of those rare players, rarer than a 1st OV pick; those happen every year after all. He is a puck possession and cycle master, he controls the game as long as he has line mates that commit to his style. This is the sort of player that can make a goal happen through tiring out the opposing team, even though he's just as deadly off the rush.

You just don't see that with Wright. He's good defensively, but he doesn't work a deep forecheck behind the net like Zegras can. Wright has a better shot than Zegras, and might be better at stripping players of the puck, but he's probably going to top out as more of finisher than a puck possession guy. He plays a north-south style and shoots a lot even when there isn't a lane. He does have good vision though.

The "rarer than a 1st OV pick" is an exaggeration, but we are talking about a player with a Datsyukian skillset, and then people are coming in here saying we're supposed to want the Mark Scheifele clone, and a (much?) slower clone at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad