Zegras or Wright

Zegras or Wright

• Total voters

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Zegras is a first overall talent; hard to choose Wright over him when we've already had a taste of Zegras.

Reactions: bsu

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How on Earth is Wright winning this? Zegras has the higher floor and the higher ceiling...

Zegras has something like 25 points in his last 24 games. I think it's doubtful Wright ever reaches the level Zegras is today. There are still tons of question marks around his ability to transition to the NHL, and his play in the OHL has left a lot to be desired.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I dunno about the whole ceiling shit, both seem equally star-worthy, but Zegras demonstrating a clear ability to generate offense as a pro makes it hard to take the chips away from him.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
How on Earth is Wright winning this? Zegras has the higher floor and the higher ceiling...

Zegras has something like 25 points in his last 24 games. I think it's doubtful Wright ever reaches the level Zegras is today. There are still tons of question marks around his ability to transition to the NHL, and his play in the OHL has left a lot to be desired.
what?? Wright is the consensus #1 pick, and you say its doubtful that he'll do what a guy who was ranked around 10th in his draft year will do now. How does that make any sense? Zegras only had 13 pts in 24 games last season, and broke out after about 10 games this season.

I mean, the kid is turning 18 in 2 weeks while Zegras will be 21 in 3 months! You honestly dont think Wright can adapt as Zegras has after 35+ games in the NHL at age 20/21? really, man?

just an odd take.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
what?? Wright is the consensus #1 pick, and you say its doubtful that he'll do what a guy who was ranked around 10th in his draft year will do now. How does that make any sense? Zegras only had 13 pts in 24 games last season, and broke out after about 10 games this season.

I mean, the kid is turning 18 in 2 weeks while Zegras will be 22 in 3 months! You honestly dont think Wright can adapt as Zegras has after 35+ games in the NHL at age 21/22? really, man?

just an odd take.
Draft position literally means nothing. Zegras has already proven to be a 1st overall caliber player, and there's a good bet he'd go 1st in a redraft. Also Zegras is only 20, not 21.

And no, I really don't think Wright will ever be as good as Zegras is now. His production as a draft eligible player in the OHL is pretty terrible for a guy who is supposed to be a 1st overall pick.

Like I said earlier, Zegras has both the higher floor and the higher ceiling. He's already a first line center at the age of 20. If you're taking a mystery box over a player like Zegras, that better be the best mystery box to come along in the last decade. Wright simply isn't that talented.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

I take Wright over Zegras every day. Not many players like Shane Wright come around often. I look at just draft positions from Zegras draft and he wasn't on Jack Hughes level. I put Shane Wright ahead of Jack Hughes at around the same age.
I take Wright over any prospect drafted since Matthews and the best player to come out of the GTA since McDavid.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I take Wright over Zegras every day. Not many players like Shane Wright come around often. I look at just draft positions from Zegras draft and he wasn't on Jack Hughes level. I put Shane Wright ahead of Jack Hughes at around the same age.
I take Wright over any prospect drafted since Matthews and the best player to come out of the GTA since McDavid.
Why does it matter when Zegras was drafted?

What a dumb way to evaluate young players.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Why does it matter when Zegras was drafted?

What a dumb way to evaluate young players.
Its not a dumb way to evaluate players. I am looking at where Wright is compared to where Zegras was at that age level. Wright is 17 and Zegras is twenty. it is quite reasonable to compare draft positions and where Wright was at the same time Zegras was. I can't compare Wright to a 20 year old Zegras. If I said that Wright is going to be better than Zegras at 20, what would your response be?
Yet Judging Zegras and wright off of 25 games isn't?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Its not a dumb way to evaluate players. I am looking at where Wright is compared to where Zegras was at that age level. Wright is 17 and Zegras is twenty. it is quite reasonable to compare draft positions and where Wright was at the same time Zegras was. I can't compare Wright to a 20 year old Zegras. If I said that Wright is going to be better than Zegras at 20, what would your response be?
Yet Judging Zegras and wright off of 25 games isn't?
It is a dumb way to look at it, because players don't develop at the same rate. Wright had arguably a better 15 year old season than McDavid, but he's obviously not as good at 17.

I guess you'd take Wright over Draisaitl or Kucherov? Because neither of those guys went 1st overall.

If people knew how Zegras was going to develop, he probably goes 1st in a redraft.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It is a dumb way to look at it, because players don't develop at the same rate. Wright had arguably a better 15 year old season than McDavid, but he's obviously not as good at 17.

I guess you'd take Wright over Draisaitl or Kucherov? Because neither of those guys went 1st overall.

If people knew how Zegras was going to develop, he probably goes 1st in a redraft.
Who is to say that Wright cannot do the same? ANd Wright was nowhere close to what McDavid was at 15

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What's Wright's upside offensively? I think there is some question there. He does have all the makings of a fine two-way center but he lacks Zegras' top end skill.
Zegras is going to be a fine two-way center.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This I can't believe my eyes lmfao, do people see not only his on ice amazing play but also the publicity and personality the kid has. He's all you want in a player.

Ehh personality isn't really something I'd let factor in my decision here.

Bissonnette has all the personality in the world compared to McDavid, who's dry as the desert.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras upside is a 2 way center Kane (Yes, I really believe this) We'll see if he reaches it. I think Wright has Tavares like upside... if they both reach it I take Zegras easily. We've already seen Zegras floor right now he's a near ppg 1st line center.

I'm biased though don't listen to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad