Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Let's do it! He wants to play and more importantly he can play. I'd do 4 years if the price was right.
8-9 mil?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Let's do it! He wants to play and more importantly he can play. I'd do 4 years if the price was right.
8-9 mil?

Four years for a 40 plus player? Absolute no reason unless it is for the minimum. 1 year at a time.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Hopefully they can keep him around the $4 million mark. Maybe even a tiny bit lower. As another poster said, no reason to do anything long-term.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
There is mutual interest from both parties.

If he continues to produce and be a leader for the young guys; keep signing him to 1 year contracts.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Saw on the newest Behind the B that they have a special exercise bike for Chara to do fitness testing, because apparently he goes beyond what a regular bike can test. :amazed:

He can probably serve as a backup electrical generator for the city of Boston on that thing. :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
8-9 mil?

4 years? Um, no thanks. Love big Z but I investigate if he`d do a year by year deal which he may not, max I offer is 2 years but it can`t be at a cap killer price. I haven`t got a clue what the number could or should be simply because there just aren`t a dozen other 40+ D-men still playing

Perfect world, 1 year extension, 3-4 mill, well not true, perfect world is that extension comes in at 2 mill but that ain`t happening.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
2 years 6.5, He still has two years as a top 4 D. If his minutes are managed correctly with the shape he keeps himself in he could be effective even longer. Even though the game is becoming a speed skating competition Chara is smart enough, skilled enough and big enough to survive in this environment for a couple more years at least as a second pairing shutdown D.

If you can get a better cap hit of under 3 I would do a third year. An NTC I'm sure would be attached.

FribbleLine

Jul 13, 2014
Ocean State
Saw on the newest Behind the B that they have a special exercise bike for Chara to do fitness testing, because apparently he goes beyond what a regular bike can test. :amazed:

He can probably serve as a backup electrical generator for the city of Boston on that thing. :laugh:

I saw that! He is like a portable generator. It was interesting how those bikes measure the energy they produce while riding.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
At fitness testing, at 250 lbs., he did more pullups than any other Bruin.
Crazy.

Meanwhile:

General manager Don Sweeney, relieved to have Pastrnak’s contract finished, sounded willing, if not eager, to work with Big Z on an extension.

“As he has indicated, he would like to continue to play hockey,†said Sweeney. “We would like him to continue to be part of the Boston Bruins. So we will monitor that as we go through camp and through the start of the season.â€

“We’re in his court, in that regard,†said Sweeney, again noting the desire to keep Chara in a Spoked-B sweater. “There is no timetable to have those discussions. I think he wants to play. I think he can play. I think he’s an impactful player. So hopefully we can look forward to having him while he monitors how long he wants to play.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...with-bruins/wrgnwAfHRIFfYXDGCqCIOO/story.html

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I love Chara and pray he retires a Bruin, and on his own terms.

That being said, the Bruins are facing a bit of a cap crunch for the off-season of 2019 with potential extension RFAs to McAvoy and Carlo (and potentially others).

It would be very prudent if the Bruins could somehow agree to one-year deals moving forward just to provide that little bit of added flexibility.

That being said, if they announced a two-year extension tomorrow, I wouldn't cry about it.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
At fitness testing, at 250 lbs., he did more pullups than any other Bruin.
Crazy.

Meanwhile:

General manager Don Sweeney, relieved to have Pastrnak’s contract finished, sounded willing, if not eager, to work with Big Z on an extension.

“As he has indicated, he would like to continue to play hockey,” said Sweeney. “We would like him to continue to be part of the Boston Bruins. So we will monitor that as we go through camp and through the start of the season.”

“We’re in his court, in that regard,” said Sweeney, again noting the desire to keep Chara in a Spoked-B sweater. “There is no timetable to have those discussions. I think he wants to play. I think he can play. I think he’s an impactful player. So hopefully we can look forward to having him while he monitors how long he wants to play.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...with-bruins/wrgnwAfHRIFfYXDGCqCIOO/story.html

Great to see a mutual interest. I hope they gets this done. He'd be fantastic for another couple years even if it's in a "3rd D" type role.

Edit: 3rd LHD not because he can't play, but because I hope we have some guys ready to step in and become top 4 LHD.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
My opinion:

It'll be a one year deal at minimal salary with easily attainable bonuses like games played, top 4 in ice time, +/- and such, bringing the cap hit to $4 million.

Protects the Bruins just in case while still paying Chara should he continue to play at the same level.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
My opinion:

It'll be a one year deal at minimal salary with easily attainable bonuses like games played, top 4 in ice time, +/- and such, bringing the cap hit to $4 million.

Protects the Bruins just in case while still paying Chara should he continue to play at the same level.

I believe that the player has earned more than this in terms of guaranteed salary.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
My opinion:

I believe that the player has earned more than this in terms of guaranteed salary.

I think both of you have really good points. My two cents; I bet that Chara has earned more than enough money in his career from contracts and endorsements, so he's simply playing for love of the game and not a paycheck.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I think both of you have really good points. My two cents; I bet that Chara has earned more than enough money in his career from contracts and endorsements, so he's simply playing for love of the game and not a paycheck.

Besides, he also sells real estate. ;)

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Much like the Iginla deal with the Bruins, the bonuses are so easily attainable, that virtually it is guaranteed.

Chara gets his money, unless he falls off a cliff, and the Bruins are protected if he falls off said cliff.

Dom. Do you think he would get a NTC or NMC clause? I can maybe see him making a list of a few teams he'd accept a trade to.

Thoughts?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Joey Mac has an article on Boston sports journal about how Chara changed his skating stride this summer. It'll be interesting to see if it helps. Good quotes from Backes in the article as well, about what it's like to play against him.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Bruins plan on re-signing, not trading captain Zdeno Chara

“There have been some rumblings that some teams have asked the Bruins about him, would they consider moving him this year,” Friedman said. “(Bruins GM) Don Sweeney said again today that he is not planning on moving him and he does plan on re-signing him.”

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I would not resign him till we see how the season goes, one good game with some flaws mind you does not mean you buy high again. He was great last year but not good for the 2 yrs before that. I would like to see him with McAvoy, tutor him for a bit see if Chara can handle the season if it is like last year then go a year at a time. Gotta give credit to Cassidy giving the dee the green light to go in, Chara did it a few times with success. I think Chara loves playing that way, rather then backing up like the other guy wanted all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad