Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
How the hell did the Zdeno Chara thread evolve into a vent thread for whiny fans of the teams Tom Friggin Brady has been beating the **** out of for seventeen years?

He's the greatest of all time, crybabies. Accept that and your cujones may finally drop.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Add to that, Chara does his thing on skates and people are ALLOWED to hit him!
Put pretty boy on skates and I doubt he makes it through the Rookie Camp!

Asinine comment. When was the last time Chara was knocked down 13 times in 1 game,or 36 times in 3 games like Brady has endured? Chara doesn't have players who average 6'5' 270 chasing him to pile drive him. The skates thing is also stupid.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
IMO he still is. The kid defensemen aren't ready for prime time just yet. Rask & Dobby would end up having nervous breakdowns trying to stop pucks behind that defense minus Captain Z. He is still the linchpin of the Bruins defense.

I think the Bruins had a winning percentage that surpassed their overall win percentage when Chara was out of the lineup last year? The most important player,to me,is Rask,followed by Bergeron and then Marchand.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Chara tells Joey Mac

When it comes to age and contract status, those numbers don’t matter to Zdeno Chara.

The 40-year-old captain of the Bruins enters his 20th season in the NHL and he’s hoping for many more. He has one season and $4 million remaining on his contract before he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

“I definitely want to play beyond this season,†he said. “It’s really hard to put a number on it. Some people do, some people don’t. I just want to play longer than this season. Yeah, I just want to continue to play. I love this game too much and I want to keep playing.â€

Last season, he played in his 1,300th NHL game on Dec. 14, 2016 and recorded his 600th career point on March 28, 2017. He arrived in Boston recently and was on the ice for captains’ practice on Tuesday. While he’s focused on the upcoming season, he did say he would be open to a contract extension.

“Yeah, I would be,†he said. “There are no secrets about that. I obviously want to stay here and continue to play.â€

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2017/09/05/chara-want-play-beyond-season/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`d wait til the 40-50 game mark before having even a short discussion about signing Z to an extension. Love the guy, was actually encouraged by his play last year but still want to see how he plays one season older and with a wack of kids who may be hammering loudly at the door, don`t want to block anyone.

If the decision makers think the kids might need a bit more time, and Z`s contract demands are reasonable, see if he`d do a 1 year deal but not a cap buster

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Sign him. Even a decline puts him ahead of where Hal Gill was.

But he'll block the progress of the youngins!! :sarcasm: Despite the fact that even as a declining 40 year old, he's still more effective than a bunch of them will be in the next couple of years. That said, I think the prudent thing to do is sign him to a one year deal and evaluate next spring if he's still worth having. Right now, I think he is...

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“You always have to prove yourself, no matter your age, no matter what kind of season you had. You can have an MVP season, but you still have to come back and prove it again,†Chara said yesterday after captain’s practice in Brighton. “I can talk about my Norris Trophy years and all that stuff, but every year I came back and wanted to prove that I belonged as a top defenseman. Now it’s the same thing. All the (Norris) nominations are probably past, but I still want to contribute to the game just like I did before.

“The game’s changed a little bit and the way they look at the defensemen and how they’re judged sometimes, but it doesn’t really affect me. I always want to come back and be motivated, do whatever I can and play the best for the team. I always felt that I can play for a long time and that I’m in shape. I’m healthy. That’s just what I wish for me — to be healthy so I can play for a long time and still be very effective.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...zdeno_chara_ready_to_prove_himself_once_again

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
For those talking trade him at the deadline, I don't think that happens, even if
the B's are in the cellar.
Unless he requests it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
For those talking trade him at the deadline, I don't think that happens, even if
the B's are in the cellar.
Unless he requests it.

for him to request it, IMO, things would really have had to fall off the rails and I don`t see that happening

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think the Bruins had a winning percentage that surpassed their overall win percentage when Chara was out of the lineup last year? The most important player,to me,is Rask,followed by Bergeron and then Marchand.

Sample size.

No Z and this defense is a major weakness. It could be more up tempo and 'fun' but the PK won't be close to good and Rask will have meltdowns.

And losers like Matt Martin will run around taking out Krug, McAvoy, Spooner, etc.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins captain Zdeno Chara is still grinding away

Zdeno Chara wants to play beyond this season. That much is certain for the Bruins defenseman, who averaged a grueling 28 minutes 46 seconds of ice time per game a month after his 40th birthday during the team’s first-round playoff loss to Ottawa last spring.

“I love the game,†Chara said. “I love everything about it. I love the sacrifice, love the training.

“It’s magic to me that you can come to the environment where you are always professional, you have to act that way, play that way, you have to be a leader. So many things are so positive about it.

“So, yeah, I don’t look really at my age, I look at what I still can do. I really enjoy it and continue to want to improve and play as long as I can.â€

This is precisely how Chara views the twilight of his career and why he stops short of projecting how much longer he will play. It is more about the quality of play Chara can offer in his 12th season as a Bruin, in a game that continues to evolve.

“I definitely want to play beyond this season,†he said. “It’s hard to put a number on it.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...inding-away/MNqTmOtGAQsIgmlbomcgzL/story.html

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think both will do a one year deal at a time and he won't be a guy to ask for the moon.

Would love to see this happen for every year he still wants (and can) play. Great captain, person, and mentor... A guy you want sticking around especially as our defense gets younger.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
But he'll block the progress of the youngins!! :sarcasm: Despite the fact that even as a declining 40 year old, he's still more effective than a bunch of them will be in the next couple of years. That said, I think the prudent thing to do is sign him to a one year deal and evaluate next spring if he's still worth having. Right now, I think he is...

I'd go for two if he doesn't show any further decline. I think if Cassidy manages Z's minutes properly the Captain will be fine- now that he's got help in Carlo & McAvoy he won't have to run around trying to cover his partner's mistakes. Plus now he gets to mentor them & who better to learn from than a future first ballot HOFer? That could also give him a new lease on life so to speak.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm alright with it, but I'd prefer if it was year to year on low money. He got his big contracts and I'd see how he looks to start the year and go from there. He's a fitness beast so I'm sure he's in top shape but speed is gonna hurt him.

I want him to retire in Boston. He's a great mentor for he kids and at 14-18 mins a game on 2nd or even 3rd pair he could be great value. Just keep it under 3 million please. He isn't a 20 min plus top pairing guy anymore.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm alright with it, but I'd prefer if it was year to year on low money. He got his big contracts and I'd see how he looks to start the year and go from there. He's a fitness beast so I'm sure he's in top shape but speed is gonna hurt him.

I want him to retire in Boston. He's a great mentor for he kids and at 14-18 mins a game on 2nd or even 3rd pair he could be great value. Just keep it under 3 million please. He isn't a 20 min plus top pairing guy anymore.

That seems like a reasonable request.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Alright.Alright.

Back to Big Z please.

Thanks.

its happening I just hope its $ 4 M and the trade of is a NMC- at $4 M its a super contract

two years is fine with me- he's no longer a 20 game winner but he's still got assets and I want him mentoring Carlo, McAvoy, Lauzon, Zboril, Ogara, Grzelcyk and every other kid coming thru here

this defense has morphed into one really good blend of youth and experience, skills...

pretty impressed even a pom pom wavah like myself didn't actually believe they would do it this fast if at all:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad