Rumor: Zadorov heading to the KHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Marincin + bracco for zadarov! Make it happen Lou ;)

Hey with sakic in charge you never know ;)

I'm confused when people say stuff like this. Sakic's been called an idiot for months for his supposedly insane ask for Duchene...but then people think that because he's now an idiot he'll move other players for cents on the dollar....

How exactly does that work in your mind?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree that the Duchene situation has been less than ideal, and Zadorov should be signed already. But, I think it's important to remember that the primary reason that Sakic had to try to build the team through FA in the first place is because the Avs had essentially 0 quality prospects when he took over the team. If the drafting is improved, this should be less of an issue in the future, because we'll have young guys ready to fill spots, and won't be forced to sign multiple UFAs every year to fill prominent roles in the lineup.

That's a weak excuse when Sakic has traded away picks n prospects for rentals, and his only successful TDL sale thus far was swapping McCleod for an AHL 2C. It would be one thing if he was actively trying to increase the team's # of picks & prospects, but that hasn't been Joe.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That's a weak excuse when Sakic has traded away picks n prospects for rentals, and his only successful TDL sale thus far was swapping McCleod for an AHL 2C. It would be one thing if he was actively trying to increase the team's # of picks & prospects, but that hasn't been Joe.

He traded a compensatory 2nd round pick that was Bleakley, a decent but nothing special RHD prospect in Wood, and Alex Tanguay's rotting corpse for a 25 year old middle 6 forward who still was thought to have some upside. In hindsight, it wasn't great because Boedker ended up signing with San Jose, but if all we gave up was the 53rd pick in 2016 and Wood, so what? It's not like he traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

I also agree that he would ideally trade all the vets for whatever picks/prospects he can get, but I don't see any teams lining up to give up anything of value for the Avs' expendable players. If rental Jarome Iginla only returns a conditional 4th (aka nothing), what could Sakic have realistically gotten for John Mitchell or Tyutin or Goloubef, or the other expendables who are either still unsigned or on PTOs?

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
You do know that Sakic is Executive VP of Hockey Operations, and is one of probably 2 people with the authority to fire the GM, right?

I'm sorry .. is your arguement that as VP he's doing a good job ? That franchise has never been in a worse position then they are right now and if I'm not mistaken Joe has the reigns on that pony and hasn't done a damn thing except **** players off and not do anything to fix it. Almost every team has improved from last years TDL but nothing comes to mind that has changed in Colorado that has improved them now or for the future and they are obviously the team that needs a shake up more then anyone no?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I'm confused when people say stuff like this. Sakic's been called an idiot for months for his supposedly insane ask for Duchene...but then people think that because he's now an idiot he'll move other players for cents on the dollar....

How exactly does that work in your mind?

Well yeah, he's a big stupid dumb idiot so anything is possible

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He traded a compensatory 2nd round pick that was Bleakley, a decent but nothing special RHD prospect in Wood, and Alex Tanguay's rotting corpse for a 25 year old middle 6 forward who still was thought to have some upside. In hindsight, it wasn't great because Boedker ended up signing with San Jose, but if all we gave up was the 53rd pick in 2016 and Wood, so what? It's not like he traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

I also agree that he would ideally trade all the vets for whatever picks/prospects he can get, but I don't see any teams lining up to give up anything of value for the Avs' expendable players. If rental Jarome Iginla only returns a conditional 4th (aka nothing), what could Sakic have realistically gotten for John Mitchell or Tyutin or Goloubef, or the other expendables who are either still unsigned or on PTOs?

He traded a 2nd round pick and a big top 4 RHD prospect for three months of one of the softest players in the league. At the time the move was absolutely idiotic, and it's only gotten worse since. You don't rebuild a prospect pipeline by consistently throwing away valuable assets, that's what.

If Joe Sakic couldn't sell Paul Stastny as a rental, then he's even more incompetent than people already think he is.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm sorry .. is your arguement that as VP he's doing a good job ? That franchise has never been in a worse position then they are right now and if I'm not mistaken Joe has the reigns on that pony and hasn't done a damn thing except **** players off and not do anything to fix it. Almost every team has improved from last years TDL but nothing comes to mind that has changed in Colorado that has improved them now or for the future and they are obviously the team that needs a shake up more then anyone no?

I'm just pointing out that Sakic would need to fire himself, which seems pretty unlikely.

And, you're absolutely right, Sakic hasn't done anything to improve the team. Well, other than vastly improving the drafting, resulting in the Avs actually having a respectable prospect pool for the first time in recent memory, giving them a way to add young talent to the team without having to overpay or take bigger risks in trades. On top of that, there are 12 players who played at least 27 games for the Avs last year who are no longer on the team, giving some of those young prospects a chance to make the team. I'd say that's a pretty big shake up, but you probably know more about the team than I do. :shakehead

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He traded a 2nd round pick and a big top 4 RHD prospect for three months of one of the softest players in the league. At the time the move was absolutely idiotic, and it's only gotten worse since. You don't rebuild a prospect pipeline by consistently throwing away valuable assets, that's what.

If Joe Sakic couldn't sell Paul Stastny as a rental, then he's even more incompetent than people already think he is.

Stastny was a pending UFA when the Avs were on a Cinderella run towards the eventual Central Division title. They were a Matt Cooke knee away from likely making it past the 1st round, but, I'm supposed to believe that you wouldn't be calling him an idiot if he had pulled the plug on the season and traded Stastny for a rental return? Really? Seems like he's damned if he does anything and damned if he doesn't, all because some people think Kyle Wood is a future stud.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Stastny was a pending UFA when the Avs were on a Cinderella run towards the eventual Central Division title. They were a Matt Cooke knee away from likely making it past the 1st round, but, I'm supposed to believe that you wouldn't be calling him an idiot if he had pulled the plug on the season and traded Stastny for a rental return? Really? Seems like he's damned if he does anything and damned if he doesn't, all because some people think Kyle Wood is a future stud.

I didn't think stastny should have been traded, but that's because I thought management was better aware of his intentions. Either way it's worth bringing up when the asset management aspect of rebuilding our youth pipeline comes up. You can't use the dire straights this team's youth pipeline was in as an excuse when Sakic has contributed to that just because he's improved the scouting staff...especially when Sakic seems scared of repeating the ROR trade with Duchene when the ROR trade has been a huge part of bolstering the young talent in this organization to its current respectable state.

Wood always had serious top 4 upside and he's consistent progressed in the areas he's needed to to reach it :dunno: Short of developing a meanstreak his development has gone wonderfully and it would be hard not put him above Timmins in our young RHD hierarchy if he was still around. There's also the small matter of that second round pick that was thrown away on a player that we are lucky the team didn't sign to a new contract.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I didn't think stastny should have been traded, but that's because I thought management was better aware of his intentions. Either way it's worth bringing up when the asset management aspect of rebuilding our youth pipeline comes up. You can't use the dire straights this team's youth pipeline was in as an excuse when Sakic has contributed to that just because he's improved the scouting staff...especially when Sakic seems scared of repeating the ROR trade with Duchene when the ROR trade has been a huge part of bolstering the young talent in this organization to its current respectable state.

Wood always had serious top 4 upside and he's consistent progressed in the areas he's needed to to reach it :dunno: Short of developing a meanstreak his development has gone wonderfully and it would be hard not put him above Timmins in our young RHD hierarchy if he was still around. There's also the small matter of that second round pick that was thrown away on a player that we are lucky the team didn't sign to a new contract.

I was also in the keep Stastny camp, because it sounded like he was intending on staying in Denver. But, I also didn't think that St Louis (or anyone) would offer him $7m per year. So, in retrospect, trading Stastny looks like the smarter choice, but at the time, I would have probably played it the same way. I can't fault Sakic for that.

I'm also not suggesting that everything Sakic has done has been perfect. But there is a lot of gray area between a GM being absolutely perfect and a GM being an incompetent idiot. Would it be nice if the Avs could have gotten a 1st + prospect for Stastny, and could have kept the compensatory 2nd and Wood? Of course. But, is it as unforgivable as some people around here seem to want to believe? I don't think it is. I think that, in the grand scheme of things, the good things Sakic has done outweigh the mistakes, and that the future legitimately looks brighter than it has in recent memory.

I also don't necessarily believe that Sakic is afraid of repeating the ROR trade. I think he's trying to repeat it, but other teams aren't willing to offer the equivalent of Zadorov + Compher + 31st (late 1st/early 2nd) for Duchene. Columbus was reportedly balking at including both Bjorkstrand and a likely late 1st round pick with either Murray or Carlsson, preferring to only include one or the other. What other offers have legitimately been made that are very similar to the ROR return? I don't remember seeing any that were really that close.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
The only way we are getting an ROR type trade is if Duchene comes with an extension, and returns to a ~60 point player.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
The only way we are getting an ROR type trade is if Duchene comes with an extension, and returns to a ~60 point player.

people seem to forget ROR only had 1 year left and wasn't going to sign with Colorado unless they were going to make him the highest paid player on the team. Something Colorado was unlikely to do. They got a massive haul for an expiring contract that they couldn't or wouldn't resign. Zadorov was a potential top pairing defenseman and Compher was highly regarded as one of Buffalos top prospects, plus they got 31oa pick.

The trade was basically the same as Johannson for Jones but Colorado got a bunch of good quality extras.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
people seem to forget ROR only had 1 year left and wasn't going to sign with Colorado unless they were going to make him the highest paid player on the team. Something Colorado was unlikely to do. They got a massive haul for an expiring contract that they couldn't or wouldn't resign. Zadorov was a potential top pairing defenseman and Compher was highly regarded as one of Buffalos top prospects, plus they got 31oa pick.

The trade was basically the same as Johannson for Jones but Colorado got a bunch of good quality extras.

As an Avs fan, I want to make it clear that comparing Zadorov to Jones here is pretty absurd. I think the total overall value is similar to Jones, but Zadorov himself had, and still has, much more risk attached to his upside (which is probably closer to a #2).

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

Compher definitely wasn't one of Buffalo's top prospects. He was more of a B-level prospect.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
As an Avs fan, I want to make it clear that comparing Zadorov to Jones here is pretty absurd. I think the total overall value is similar to Jones, but Zadorov himself had, and still has, much more risk attached to his upside (which is probably closer to a #2).

Jones was a better prospect, my point was that the trade scenario was similar. Young potential top pairing defenseman for established 1c who probably isn't staying with the team once their contract is up. Zadorov didn't have the pedigree of Jones, but he was a potential top pairing guy who was playing lots of minutes in Buffalo while Jones was stuck behind established NHL defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad