Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
If there's a buyout:

View attachment 725747

Season 2023-24, +375k
Season 2024-25, -525k
Season 2025-26, +380k
Season 2026-27, +380k

That negative caphit for 2024-25 season is interesting. It would create cap space.
How is a buyout possible? The window closed.

In order for a team to open a 2nd window two things must happen;
1) Any player on the team must file for arbitration.
2) The player getting bought out must earn over 4M AAV.

Wings/Zadina don’t qualify for either of these things. Am I misunderstanding something ?

I think Yzerman thought he was tradeable. Found out in the last 2 days he is not tradeable and is now very much hoping Zadina gets claimed.

Reactions: flychairman

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Larkin
Raymond
Copp
Compher
Fabbri
Perron
Berggren
Rasmussen
Kubalik
Sprong
Fischer
Kostin
Veleno

Every single one of those dude has a spot spoken for them on the team. That leaves Zadina out. What makes it actually even worse is that Soderblom is around and probably fighting for a spot, as will Kasper (albeit a long shot), we have no clue how our older kids (Mauzer or Hanas) will show in training camp.

Hell, at this point after looking through all of Steve's moves in the past, Alexandre Doucet, that random undrafted 21yo overager we signed to a 3yr entry level - who just tore up the Q for 115pts and a long playoff run, I have more hope that he becomes Tyler Johnson 2.0 (similar paths so far) than Zadina to become useful at this point
Not sure if Fabbri will be ready by October. I think we'll see Soderblom up

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's crazy, not long ago Yzerman did sign him and then
He signed Mantha and shipped him out. I'm guessing Yzerman signed Zadina because he was a cost controlled asset. You hope he improves and/or that you can deal him for something. That clearly didn't happen.

I don't know the ins and outs of waiving now but he's cut bait.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I hope he gets claimed and does well with a new team. Obviously just doesn't fit on this team as is. Really too bad things went the way they did with him.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
They’re just hoping someone claims him so they can free up that money.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
Just goes to show for every team there are high level draft picks that doesn't turn out... Zadina, Juolevi, Yakupov, Patrick ...

It really is a crap shoot, and hind sight doesn't get you anywhere. At least Seider is working out for you guys.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
They’re waiving him because they want to keep him. Waive him now when teams are still sorting out their overpurchases in the wake of FA frenzy. Teams at the top are capped or are trying to make moves for bigger fish. Teams at the bottom either want to be really bad OR have their own Zadinas.

This isn’t to buy him out, it’s to sneak him back down at a time they don’t think he will be claimed.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Holland's last drafts with first rounders
2018 - Zadina (bust for us), Veleno (needs a big year)
2017 - Rasmussen bottom 6
2016 - Cholowski (bust)
2015 - Svechnikov (bust)
2014 - Larkin
2013 - Mantha
2010 - Riley Sheahan - 600 GP but relatively a bottom 6 guy
2008 - Tommy McCollum
2007 - Smith (bottom pair dman)

did any GM suck this bad at drafting in round 1? my god this is horrible.

They’re waiving him because they want to keep him. Waive him now when teams are still sorting out their overpurchases in the wake of FA frenzy. Teams at the top are capped or are trying to make moves for bigger fish. Teams at the bottom either want to be really bad OR have their own Zadinas.

This isn’t to buy him out, it’s to sneak him back down at a time they don’t think he will be claimed.
sneaky play here. teams might not want to burn a contract versus signing their own player. he might just sneak by here and go to GRG.

at the same time - i kind of want him to just go, like Svech did.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013

I think it's the opposite. They don't view him as part of the organization's future and would like to be rid of the contract. They wanted to get him on waivers while there are still some teams with cap room and unfilled roster spots to maximize the chance that someone will take him off of their hands.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
What sucks is that Svechnikov was IMMEDIATELY preceded by Matthew Barzal, Thomas Chabot, and Kyle Connor.

God damn what I wouldn’t have given to trade like a fourth to turn pick 19 into pick 17 or 18 that year.
it hurts when you see a good draft like that and you walked around all the open spaces and landed on the landmine. You almost could have stepped anywhere else but stepped on the bomb.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
2016 - Cholowski (bust)
2015 - Svechnikov (bust)
2014 - Larkin
2013 - Mantha
2008 - Tommy McCollum

sneaky play here. teams might not want to burn a contract versus signing their own player. he might just sneak by here and go to GRG.

at the same time - i kind of want him to just go, like Svech did.
I feel someone has broken this down before (I want to say @BinCookin or @Henkka) and the Wings drafting is pretty much right in the middle. There are a lot of "busts" in the 1st round, fans just typically only notice the busts on their team and ignore the dozens each year from other teams.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
2016 - Cholowski (bust)
2015 - Svechnikov (bust)
2014 - Larkin
2013 - Mantha
2008 - Tommy McCollum

beat me to it. absolutely killed us with those picks

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I feel someone has broken this down before (I want to say @BinCookin or @Henkka) and the Wings drafting is pretty much right in the middle. There are a lot of "busts" in the 1st round, fans just typically only notice the busts on their team and ignore the dozens each year from other teams.

Okay but imagine we hit on Necas instead of Rasmussen

Or Hughes instead of Zadina

We would be in a much different position

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
yea idk about that one. I cant think of a team out there who drafted worse in the first round since we won in 2008.

Even Arizona drafted better in round 1. We only remember busts because when you have such high picks, in top 10-20, you need to hit on some of those once in a while. Larkin and Mantha in 15 years, cant tell me thats really acceptable.
beat me to it. absolutely killed us with those picks

dude, the 2017 draft makes me disgusted. Scouts and directors of scouting should lose jobs over that one. Unacceptable and outright horrendous. I mean there's a chance we only nail a bottom 6 forward out of that crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad