Waived: Zadina (Clears) - Contract Terminated, Signs with SJS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's to clear roster space. I can't imagine the money is necessary. On the right side: Raymond, Fischer, Rasmussen, Sprong, Berggren - all of which serve more purpose on this team than he did at this point.

Yeah, Zadina was the 14th forward, when I was trying to build whatever lines for next season.

No space and we move on. No false hopes anymore.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Sure but if he’s just being waived due to a roster crunch that can happen in Camp. We aren’t up against the 50 contract limit either.

My guess is this is just to see if another team will take him for free because interest in Zadina has only been from teams that want the Wings to add a sweetener or take back bad salary.

They can go over the cap in the summer and there's no need to send him down to the AHL until the season starts.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He won't get claimed. Should have never been drafted should have never been signed last year. More headscratching moves by this organization.

I don’t understand this.

He’s not the top level player we expected, but he’s quite good defensively. Couldn’t have at least gotten a 6th or 7th round pick?
His cap hit is not worth his contribution.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Buyout window is closed I believe. And the Red Wings do not qualify for the 2nd buyout window.

Terrible draft pick, awful 3 year contract by Yzerman.

And now they choose a terrible time to waive him. Should have done it before free agency started. Right now there are still a dozen + forwards in UFA available that would sign for less than his 1.8M price tag. I hope he gets claimed. But I highly doubt it at this point.
When you look back we could have had Quinn Hughes that draft year. Thanks Kenny

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
When you look back we could have had Quinn Hughes that draft year. Thanks Kenny
Evan Bouchard too.

Zadina played 30 games of a 3 year contract, before being waived. Everyone wondered why the heck he got 3 years. I believe the very 1st game of his 3 year deal he was a healthy scratch. Another questionable move by Yzerman.

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It would be absolutely hilarious if OTT claims him lol

Imagine they claim him and put him in AHL anyways as a fu*k you for trying to trade him in a package for debrincat...

I don’t understand this.

He’s not the top level player we expected, but he’s quite good defensively. Couldn’t have at least gotten a 6th or 7th round pick?
ev en if that would be true that he is good defensively, Fischer/Kostin/Sprong are all better defensively or offensively or bring in physicality. Zadina just doesn't make sense on the roster anymore.

Maybe Kasper starts in AHL (ugh) and Zadina goes on his wing and they try to build chemistry and we restart the process all over again.

Reactions: lilidk

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He was ranked like top 3 in the draft rankings and fell to Detroit at 6. Pretty prolific goal scorer at age 17 which is what the Wings needed at the time (still do). I defend the pick, it made sense.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. :dunno: He probably sticks around anyways, but hard to see it getting much better from here.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
He was ranked like top 3 in the draft rankings and fell to Detroit at 6. Pretty prolific goal scorer at age 17 which is what the Wings needed at the time (still do). I defend the pick, it made sense.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. :dunno: He probably sticks around anyways, but hard to see it getting much better from here.
Everyone seemed pretty happy about the pick at the time.

One should take prolific QMJHL scorer with a pinch of salt though.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If there's a buyout:

1688402331134.png

Season 2023-24, +375k
Season 2024-25, -525k
Season 2025-26, +380k
Season 2026-27, +380k

That negative caphit for 2024-25 season is interesting. It would create cap space.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Yeah, Zadina was the 14th forward, when I was trying to build whatever lines for next season.

No space and we move on. No false hopes anymore.

My Projected Lineup:

Perron - Larkin - Raymond
Fabbri - J.T. Compher - Kubalik
Sprong - Copp - Rasmussen
Kostin - Veleno - Berggren

Fischer - Kasper - Zadina
Soderblom-Mazur-Czarnik

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Holl
Maatta - Gostisbehere
Lindstrom

Wallinder, Edvinsson, Johansson

Husso
Reimer

Zadina was outside the team.

Good luck, on a future team Zadina... Or good luck finding your game in the AHL with us.

I can say this though... HFBoards make sure you remember, Zadina was the most backed pick in that draft by the posters here. Myself included. Never have we had more concensus to make a pick. Turns out it was a total bust, and we would have done the exact same thing!

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Larkin
Raymond
Copp
Compher
Fabbri
Perron
Berggren
Rasmussen
Kubalik
Sprong
Fischer
Kostin
Veleno

Every single one of those dude has a spot spoken for them on the team. That leaves Zadina out. What makes it actually even worse is that Soderblom is around and probably fighting for a spot, as will Kasper (albeit a long shot), we have no clue how our older kids (Mauzer or Hanas) will show in training camp.

Hell, at this point after looking through all of Steve's moves in the past, Alexandre Doucet, that random undrafted 21yo overager we signed to a 3yr entry level - who just tore up the Q for 115pts and a long playoff run, I have more hope that he becomes Tyler Johnson 2.0 (similar paths so far) than Zadina to become useful at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad