Zach (lightning rod) Hyman thread: love him or hate him

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I've seen enough talk about Hyman to think he deserves his own thread.
Let the belly aching be confined here and the dueling of love/hate posters battle here.
I am a supporter of Hyman on the line with Matthews. I see the value of what he does there. I will defer my thoughts to Matthews and Brown's own words on Lightening rod Hyman
"We enjoy playing with each other," Matthews said. "Over the last couple of weeks we've definitely gelled more and more and found each other, a bit more chemistry."

How? Why?

It starts with Hyman, arguably the Maple Leafs' most aggressive forechecker, winning the puck back in 50-50 battles.

"I think nine times out of 10, he's come away with the puck in the corners," Matthews said. "It's just knowing where he wants to throw the puck and trying to get open for him because you know he's coming out with it most of the time."
https://www.nhl.com/news/auston-matthews-gives-credit-to-his-teammates-for-success/c-285608998

Also that line dominated regularly. If Hyman was a passenger on that line it would essentially be a 5v4 situation and I'm pretty sure they would struggle.
I'm perplexed how people can see what that line accomplished last year and think it's flawed.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealkoho

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Ppl need to listen to Babcock presser today.

Players like Datsyuk wanted to not play with all the stars, he wanted to be switched off those lines to play with players who got him the puck.

Hyman is the best at it.

-Mike Babcock

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Would be loved as a 3rd liner. It’s too bad he gets so much flak because he’s a low scoring winger with our franchise center. Babcock wants him there. Hyman would play anywhere Babs wants him to and play his heart out for the team.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He's going to be stapled to Matthews for a while yet. Babs does seem to like Grundstrom a lot too though, so he might be able to improve enough to usurp Zack and give Matthews a more skilled winger who plays in a similar way. But by then it might just be deemed that Hyman's chemistry with Matthews is too important to break up.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Would be loved as a 3rd liner. It’s too bad he gets so much flak because he’s a low scoring winger with our franchise center. Babcock wants him there. Hyman would play anywhere Babs wants him to and play his heart out for the team.

That's the thing, he ligit deserves to be on that line even though he doesn't score at a "1st line pace".
The work he does along the boards is very impressive.
Again Matthews himself sees Hyman's worth.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
The reality is that despite Babs being a good coach he's also one of the more stubborn ones. Scotty Bowman, the greatest coach of all time would never have Hyman patrolling a line with two offensive dynamos like Matthews and Nylander. They don't need someone to get them the puck, they possess the puck when they're on the ice. Another playmaker/scorer with them and they would be scary. Lines playing against them only have to focus on two players thus decreasing the effectiveness of the line. Hyman retrieving pucks is grossly overrated. Most times when he does get position his limited skills usually puts the puck right back on the oppositions sticks. Back to Bowman he would never put Gainey on with Lafleur because he understood all the dynamics of the game unlike Babcock. Unfortunately Babs won't move Hyman now because he will feel he's giving into the media and fans thus hurting his extreme pride. As a result Matthews, Nylander and the team will suffer because of this stubbornness and pride.

Reactions: Leafsforever89

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's going to be stapled to Matthews for a while yet. Babs does seem to like Grundstrom a lot too though, so he might be able to improve enough to usurp Zack and give Matthews a more skilled winger who plays in a similar way. But by then it might just be deemed that Hyman's chemistry with Matthews is too important to break up.
Totally agreed on the chemistry and I also don't see Grundstrom doing Hyman's job.
Grunny likes to shoot too. Yes strong on the cycle bit likes to cycle up high, Zach works down low while Willie and Matthews control the play above the dots

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The reality is that despite Babs being a good coach he's also one of the more stubborn ones. Scotty Bowman, the greatest coach of all time would never have Hyman patrolling a line with two offensive dynamos like Matthews and Nylander. They don't need someone to get them the puck, they possess the puck when they're on the ice. Another playmaker/scorer with them and they would be scary. Lines playing against them only have to focus on two players thus decreasing the effectiveness of the line. Hyman retrieving pucks is grossly overrated. Most times when he does get position his limited skills usually puts the puck right back on the oppositions sticks. Back to Bowman he would never put Gainey on with Lafleur because he understood all the dynamics of the game unlike Babcock. Unfortunately Babs won't move Hyman now because he will feel he's giving into the media and fans thus hurting his extreme pride. As a result Matthews, Nylander and the team will suffer because of this stubbornness and pride.

very well said

-you should post a lot more

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
To the bolded; how much more effective do you thinl that line could be? 158 point rookie line....
I don't know the CF% but I think it's close to 60%

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Trottier, Bossy had Gillies and then Tonelli. Even though those LWers were sandpapery grinder types - they had some above average hands.

Nobody yet in the system who can step in and be that type of player on Matthews line. Until then Hyman will have to do.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Trottier, Bossy had Gillies and then Tonelli. Even though those LWers were sandpapery grinder types - they had some above average hands.

Nobody yet in the system who can step in and be that type of player on Matthews line. Until then Human will have to do.
What if Hyman becomes average in sh%?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But why? Really that line is one of the best in the NHL.
Honestly 5v5 they always dominate. How could that be if Hyman was the anchor so many posters say he is?

Because Matthews and Nylander are the elite talents that people say they are. It's pretty obvious that the elite players are the ones who make the line what it is

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
To the bolded; how much more effective do you thinl that line could be? 158 point rookie line....
I don't know the CF% but I think it's close to 60%

the question is what does this have to do with Hyman ?

and if you and others believe an unskilled energy player is so valuable on a scoring line where are the calls for us to use a similar player on Marner's line ?

Some of us see two elite level skilled players and believe they're the reason for the lines success . I wonder if the Oilers fans are giving Maroon credit for being the driving force behind McDavids and Drais success last year ?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Because Matthews and Nylander are the elite talents that people say they are. It's pretty obvious that the elite players are the ones who make the line what it is

So if Nylander and Matthews played every shift 5v4 (subtracting Hyman) are they going to be as good?
If Hyman is the drag on that line that so many posters say he is would we not be seeing a regression in Matthews and Nylander numbers? Stats and advanced stats?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
the question is what does this have to do with Hyman ?

and if you and others believe an unskilled energy player is so valuable on a scoring line where are the calls for us to use a similar player on Marner's line ?

Some of us see two elite level skilled players and believe they're the reason for the lines success . I wonder if the Oilers fans are giving Maroon credit for being the driving force behind McDavids and Drais success last year ?

I've watched the oilers play and maroon is the best thing the chia has done.
What Hyman does is elite. He does a Gary Roberts job without the scoring yet ( Hyman is a rookie(was))

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So if Nylander and Matthews played every shift 5v4 (subtracting Hyman) are they going to be as good?
If Hyman is the drag on that line that so many posters say he is would we not be seeing a regression in Matthews and Nylander numbers? Stats and advanced stats?

Well until Babcock puts a good winger on the line we'll never be able to know for sure
But yes, we know they're good players even though Hyman is complete trash offensively. They're phenomenal players and I think they succeed through their own merits more than anything else

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
15-20 goals 20ish assists with elite motor and good on the PK .. good enough for me. If he tops out with those kind of numbers, with the way we can roll 3 balanced scoring lines. It’s going to be a fun year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad