Zach (lightning rod) Hyman thread: love him or hate him

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Are there any stats that show how good Hyman is at winning puck battles, or how good he is at getting the puck to Matthews? Legitimately wondering

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well until Babcock puts a good winger on the line we'll never be able to know for sure
But yes, we know they're good players even though Hyman is complete trash offensively. They're phenomenal players and I think they succeed through their own merits more than anything else

Honestly though, if he was trash and players were just to key on Matthews and Nylander, which is not true as there is video evidence that Hyman makes space for the dynamic duo, they would not put up thw numbers they do. If they could why wouldnt they be thw #1 pk unit? Hell why wouldn't they be the #1 And #2 pk units?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Honestly though, if he was trash and players were just to key on Matthews and Nylander, which is not true as there is video evidence that Hyman makes space for the dynamic duo, they would not put up thw numbers they do. If they could why wouldnt they be thw #1 pk unit? Hell why wouldn't they be the #1 And #2 pk units?

But how do you know that when we have never seen Matthews and Nylander with a good winger? All we know is
1) Matthews is a fantastic player
2) Nylander is a fantastic player
3) Hyman is terrible offensively
4) They are a really good line

We don't know that Matthews and Nylander wouldn't be as good or better with a different winger, so there's no reason to pretend otherwise

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Are there any stats that show how good Hyman is at winning puck battles, or how good he is at getting the puck to Matthews? Legitimately wondering
Fair question and I'm not an advanced stats guy but if he wins 51% of 50/50 battles he's got an edge.
Also if Babcock is saying he does win them nd knows how where to get the puck, Babs has access to all the stats plus secret stats too.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I've watched the oilers play and maroon is the best thing the chia has done.
What Hyman does is elite. He does a Gary Roberts job without the scoring yet ( Hyman is a rookie(was))

without the scoring
without the bone crunching hits
without the intimidation

but yea without being able to add a bunch of important things he's exactly like Roberts

Hyman does nothing freaking elite other than try hard , i have no idea what people like when they watch him stumbling around killing plays

Also i'll ask again , why you and others aren't calling for another totally unskilled energy player for Marner's line ?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
But how do you know that when we have never seen Matthews and Nylander with a good winger? All we know is
1) Matthews is a fantastic player
2) Nylander is a fantastic player
3) Hyman is terrible offensively
4) They are a really good line

We don't know that Matthews and Nylander wouldn't be as good or better with a different winger, so there's no reason to pretend otherwise
Because if Hyman was as horrible as some say, that line would suffer. If Hyman could not carry his weight the opposition would simply ignore him and effectively play 5on4 and stifle Matthews/Nylander

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Because if Hyman was as horrible as some say, that line would suffer. If Hyman could not carry his weight the opposition would simply ignore him and effectively play 5on4 and stifle Matthews/Nylander

Maybe Matthews and Nylander are too good to be stifled? We know for certain that Hyman can't carry his weight offensively, so why wouldn't the opposition ignore the guy who has 10 goals on the year and focus on the guy who has 40? You can't seriously think they see him as any sort of offensive threat

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

what the **** does this have to do with the post you responded too ?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
without the scoring
without the bone crunching hits
without the intimidation

but yea without being able to add a bunch of important things he's exactly like Roberts

Hyman does nothing freaking elite other than try hard , i have no idea what people like when they watch him stumbling around killing plays

Also i'll ask again , why you and others aren't calling for another totally unskilled energy player for Marner's line ?
Marners line is sheltered and probably the reason it's a liability is because it's missing a Hyman.
A player that will pin the puck in the O zone while changes happen; disrupt the D so they cannot one pass the puck out into an offensive chance or even position themselves to disrupt offensive breakouts. Or do you think JVR does that?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

On tsn Noodles said he's got a friend working with an analytics company and he said Hyman is in the bottom half of Leafs forwards for puck retrievals

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Maybe Matthews and Nylander are too good to be stifled? We know for certain that Hyman can't carry his weight offensively, so why wouldn't the opposition ignore the guy who has 10 goals on the year and focus on the guy who has 40? You can't seriously think they see him as any sort of offensive threat

I do not think he can carry himself offensively at all!
I just think he is an important dog in that line. The proof of that is how good they are.

Again if they could not be stifled, why are they not the #1pk unit?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I do not think he can carry himself offensively at all!
I just think he is an important dog in that line. The proof of that is how good they are.

Again if they could not be stifled, why are they not the #1pk unit?

Because it would be dumb to ask them to throw themselves in front of shots and risk getting hurt, even if they could probably put up quite a few shorthanded points.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Markets line is sheltered and probably the reason it's a liability is because it's missing a Hyman.
A player that will pin the puck in the O zone while changes happen; disrupt the D so they cannot one pass the puck out into an offensive chance or even position themselves to disrupt offensive breakouts. Or do you think JVR does that?

that wasn't the question was it ? so stop deflecting and answer the question which i'll ask again

why aren't you and other who believe an unskilled energy player is a valuable piece to an offensive line calling for one to be added to the Marner line ? how come i haven't see one ****ing post with a similar player like Hyman playing with Marner in any of the what type of line ups do you want to see threads ?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Read it again. Fedorov seemed to understand what I said.

no Fedorov just responded to your goal post shift

the question basically was how do you know the line wouldn't be better with another winger when Babs is too terrified to try it ?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Because it would be dumb to ask them to throw themselves in front of shots and risk getting hurt, even if they could probably put up quite a few shorthanded points.
I agree with what you say here but if they are so elite that if playing with Hyman is equivilant to playing 5on4 and yet they (Nylander Matthews) are unstoppable, they wouldn't have to be blocking shots. They would be possessing the puck and dominating.
Hence why I say Hyman is not an anchor. Even more so he adds the the effectiveness of that line.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
that wasn't the question was it ? so stop deflecting and answer the question which i'll ask again

why aren't you and other who believe an unskilled energy player is a valuable piece to an offensive line calling for one to be added to the Marner line ? how come i haven't see one ****ing post with a similar player like Hyman playing with Marner in any of the what type of line ups do you want to see threads ?
I actually answered this.
Perhaps you posted this after I did that though.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
no Fedorov just responded to your goal post shift

the question basically was how do you know the line wouldn't be better with another winger when Babs is too terrified to try it ?
Shifted goal post? Ok.
I answered his question about the effectiveness of that line.
Why won't Babs try another combo? Ask him. How can I answer that. I'm just commenting in what I see and think about what's happening on the ice.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
On tsn Noodles said he's got a friend working with an analytics company and he said Hyman is in the bottom half of Leafs forwards for puck retrievals

noodles is one of the dumest people i'e met..

dont quote him, unless u want to have a beer

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah
His effort level isn't in question, his ability to finish, make a decent pass, think the game offensively are a different matter though
Again I'm not on about his ability to finish. I'm on about his chemistry and how he does his job on that line which makes that line so strong.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree with what you say here but if they are so elite that if playing with Hyman is equivilant to playing 5on4 and yet they (Nylander Matthews) are unstoppable, they wouldn't have to be blocking shots. They would be possessing the puck and dominating.
Hence why I say Hyman is not an anchor. Even more so he adds the the effectiveness of that line.

Offensively he's an anchor

He can't make a decent pass or finish in high danger areas, he can do a lot of "little things" right but he's severely limited in what he's able to do

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Offensively he's an anchor

He can't make a decent pass or finish in high danger areas, he can do a lot of "little things" right but he's severely limited in what he's able to do
I will say that offense is not just scoring.
Secondly I agree he cannot make a pass longer that 12 feet with effect, but he fights the puck out and puts it (3 foot pass) somewhere the Matthews or Nylander can pick it up.
Very effective when you have those two getting the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad