Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I wasn't the one who brought up playoff stats originally
Fair enough, I just think a lot of terrible player evaluations get made based on small sample sizes like that, especially for younger players.

This is really the first real playoffs for guys like EP, Hughes, Boeser, Hronek, Hog, etc and any player will tell you that you need to experience it to learn from it and be better prepared for it in the future.

Brendan Morrison has said so himself. If all these players are saying it, I bet there’s some real truth to it and us fans sitting on our couches can’t really relate.

Also this series has been a nightmare for pretty much all the elite talent to create offense, you think Preds fans are happy with Josi, Forsberg and ROR offensively? It’s an abnormally defensive oriented series.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jenner
Sillinger
Jiricek

Rintz
Harley

Tage
Benson
Pick

Konecny
Forester
Drysdale

Leo Carlsson

Point
Cernak
Pick

Jarvis
Nikishin
Pick

Brady
Batherson
Pick

Would drive him and his gimp wrist to the airport myself
I hope you’re joking.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Once again, Pettersson escapes some absolutely generational slander because the Miller line bails him out and delivers a win for the Canucks.

He's been riding their coattails for the vast majority of the season, and the points he racks up are always on the PP as a secondary assist to plays generated by them.

If the Canucks had lost this game, this thread would have 20+ new posts.

Instead, zero posts since Saturday morning.

He keeps dodging bullets, but eventually he will need to actually play like a 100-point player.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I will be very surprised if he hasn't been playing through some sort of significant injury.

However, no one in the entire league comes close to the combination of expectations and how little he's given to work with. No one else in the league is expected to score 100 points with 3rd or 4th liners on both wings at all times.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Once again, Pettersson escapes some absolutely generational slander because the Miller line bails him out and delivers a win for the Canucks.

He's been riding their coattails for the vast majority of the season, and the points he racks up are always on the PP as a secondary assist to plays generated by them.

If the Canucks had lost this game, this thread would have 20+ new posts.

Instead, zero posts since Saturday morning.

He keeps dodging bullets, but eventually he will need to actually play like a 100-point player.
He is playing bad and he knows it.

Its not like he is throwing tantrums at his team mates etc.

What exactly should the slander look like in your opinnion..?

His skating looked off today. If he isn't dealing with a groin injury or something, I'll be very surprised. He certainly looks like he's struggling to get engaged in the game.
Agree.

That + the fact that his wheel house for the one timer is tiny right now makes me think its hip / groin.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You would think some fans expect him to stand up for a few hours after the game and apologize individually to each fan he's wronged by playing the way he has.

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah there was that play when he was on the point and the puck was deflected and he didn't skate to pick up the puck.... you could tell there something is wrong with him injury wise. It wasn't just his speed to react, but also how slow he skated back, lack of digging in on his stride.

And as @PuckMunchkin said his shot. he hasn't been letting it go, and in the shots of him shooting in practice, you could see there he was not leaning into it at all. Just pushing it to the net.

Hip/groin/core injury is my guess.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Pettersson has played like this almost all year, he’s clearly struggling mentally and not for the first time. Confidence is huge for this player.

Hughes on the other hand is obviously sick (my guess) or nursing something.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Pettersson has played like this almost all year, he’s clearly struggling mentally and not for the first time. Confidence is huge for this player.

Hughes on the other hand is obviously sick (my guess) or nursing something.

Agree that he's been pretty much playing the same way the whole year, even when he was putting up points.

That said, as an established Pettersson hater, I did really like that he was really pumped about the win, didn't sulk that he had nothing to do with it and was really excited to celebrate with his teammates. It wasn't all about himself.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
One of 2.5 things are going on here with Petey

1. He's injured.

2. The league figured him out and he is not nearly as effective because of it, especially in the playoffs.

.5 He's checked out now that he got his payday

The truth lies somewhere in between or around any of those 2.5 opinions. There's no hate at all in suggesting this. Anyone who watches the game/Canucks can see Pettersson from Oct/early jan is not the Pettersson from late Jan/April

Hoping he figures it out because the next 3 rounds he's gonna need to be on his game

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
One of 2.5 things are going on here with Petey

1. He's injured.

2. The league figured him out and he is not nearly as effective because of it, especially in the playoffs.

.5 He's checked out now that he got his payday

The truth lies somewhere in between or around any of those 2.5 opinions. There's no hate at all in suggesting this. Anyone who watches the game/Canucks can see Pettersson from Oct/early jan is not the Pettersson from late Jan/April

Hoping he figures it out because the next 3 rounds he's gonna need to be on his game
If you fly your parents out from Sweden to Nashville - I don't think you've checked out. He's clearly injured

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I will be very surprised if he hasn't been playing through some sort of significant injury.

I don't know. That doesn't really add up though, If he was injured, you would have expected him to have sat the last game like all the other injured players.

Plus, this is the second time in his career he's had an multi-month period of time where he has played terribly the first one being a couple of years ago. And during the first time, his play was excused by many on account of an undisclosed injury but all the while the team and Petterson continued to deny that he had any injury.

Agreed that his even strength linemates are not very good. But Pettersson also looks bad on the powerplay where he plays with the teams best players.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't know. That doesn't really add up though, If he was injured, you would have expected him to have sat the last game like all the other injured players.

Plus, this is the second time in his career he's had an multi-month period of time where he has played terribly the first one being a couple of years ago. And during the first time, his play was excused by many on account of an undisclosed injury but all the while the team and Petterson continued to deny that he had any injury.

Agreed that his even strength linemates are not very good. But Pettersson also looks bad on the powerplay where he plays with the teams best players.
confidence shot, that much is certain.

Caused by injury, pressure from himself due to contract, who the hell knows. But at least there is report that he is injured and he looks like it considering his speed and shot being toast. Why the hell is he still played? Good question! we also saw Hronek, benched in the final game and why the f*** did we not rest him when we were load managing our D and rotating Cole/Zadorov/Juulsen.

Would love to have some people chime in, what type of core injury would limit speed/strength but somehow not bad enough to just send the player to LTIR.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Hope it's not one of those "can't get any worse so just continue playing until season over" (ala Mik) major injuries

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I suspect the team has known for awhile about a nagging injury to Petey, and how it was affecting his play. Getting Lindholm, a 2-way center on an expiring contract, was such a good strategic move to provide some backup. No way were they going to waste this good season and get handicapped in the playoffs.

I also think that the physical injury has affected him mentally, as he is very tough on himself. He's learning to play through that and I'm sure Tocchet is helping.

I'd also like to pat the guy on the back for something - not once has he dumped on his linemates and tried to use them as an excuse.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I am guessing we didn't load manage Petey or Hronek because their injuries are not the type where that will help. I think Hronek is just his wrist and its causing him to not be able to shoot like he was earlier in the year or be as accurate with his passes.

Petey... Core, or hip maybe groin. He can't push with his legs, that is clear.

hefsbeaver

Jun 20, 2009
Wow, the doom and gloomers on this site are out for blood. It seams like the same people that wanted to ship Miller out and Boeser out and Quinn out are now finding a new whipping boy.

All of them made us happy we kept the. Chances are Petey will do the same. I have heard people say he had a horrible year this year and was like a god last year......12 points difference and plays a way better 2 way game now.

Is he playing well NO he is not another reason NOT to trade him now.....won't get as much back.

Not every player is gonna be on top of their game every year, it's why they are called "career" years,. But to score 89 points and play 2 way hockey like he does is not a terrible year.

Don't get me wrong I still yet "WTF PETEY" when he makes a mistake or has a bad game...(games). I want and hope he is much better than he is playing now. But let's all take a deep breathe. The sky is NOT falling, the earth is NOT going to explode. Let's give the KID a chance to turn his game around, before selling him off.

I was around for the Neely trade, don't want to see another.

End Rant
Hef

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Wow, the doom and gloomers on this site are out for blood. It seams like the same people that wanted to ship Miller out and Boeser out and Quinn out are now finding a new whipping boy.

All of them made us happy we kept the. Chances are Petey will do the same. I have heard people say he had a horrible year this year and was like a god last year......12 points difference and plays a way better 2 way game now.

Is he playing well NO he is not another reason NOT to trade him now.....won't get as much back.

Not every player is gonna be on top of their game every year, it's why they are called "career" years,. But to score 89 points and play 2 way hockey like he does is not a terrible year.

Don't get me wrong I still yet "WTF PETEY" when he makes a mistake or has a bad game...(games). I want and hope he is much better than he is playing now. But let's all take a deep breathe. The sky is NOT falling, the earth is NOT going to explode. Let's give the KID a chance to turn his game around, before selling him off.

I was around for the Neely trade, don't want to see another.

End Rant
Hef
never mind the exaggeration. There is no way a player can put up 89 points after being absolutely horrible ALL SEASON. his slump started around the all star game and saying eh slumped for like 30% of the games wouldn't sound as damning as ALL SEASON.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad