Zach Hyman vs Michael Bunting

Who do you take Hyman or Bunting

• Total voters

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Don't complain that I'm just stating a fact that happens to be true.

No you are taking a single datapoint, that has many other factors and variables at play, and extrapolating said datapoint to draw a conclusion for which you have insufficient data. It's kinda cute.

Reactions: Koivu11

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Legitimate question. How much of his increase in point production do you believe is solely because of playing with McDavid ?

I watched a couple Oilers games including last nights, I've always loved Hyman. Just a complete work horse, always plays with maximum effort. That play when he took the hit to get McDavid the puck for the Nuge goal (1st one I believe?) was the kind of plays he'd always make in Toronto on a nightly basis. From what I've seen, he's playing just as good there as he did here, he has the work ethic. The difference is playing with the worlds best player and on the best PP unit in the league. He may have improved, but not enough where we can say his 40 point increase is all on him. He definitely has chemistry with McDavid, he does a great job on the forecheck and getting him the puck. But remove him from the worlds best player, I think he's a 60-65 point player.

He played with McDavid and Draisaitl plenty last year. He is getting more consistent time on the power play, and that shows on the scoresheet.

That said, his oiGF rate has also gone way up when he is on the power play (suggesting he and his teammates are playing better than when he was on the ice last year). And the same can be said for his EV oiGF rate. In fact if you look at his rate last year, it was 2.8/60 vs 3 straight years of 4.0+ in Toronto. And this year he's back to 4.5, so he obviously took some time to adjust to new team/system/linemates last year.

And that makes sense... he's a complementary guy, he's not carrying the water. What I've noticed this year is that he's been going to the net a lot harder than he did last year... in fact I wish he'd back off a bit, we've had AT LEAST 5 or 6 goals waived off because of Hyman molesting the goalie.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yup, McDavid finished with 123 last season, he's pacing for 148 this year. Hymans production has jumped up with McDavids as well. There's been a huge increase in production in McDavids point totals, as well as Hymans.

Assume McDavid finishes with 148 (what he's pacing for) It's a 25 point jump. Apply that to Hyman brings him to about 83 points in a 82 game season, he's pacing for what 97 ? So it is very possible that Hyman has gotten better and improved his chemistry with his new team, but most of the increase in production is pretty obviously directly because of McDavid. Then again, you can also suggest that McDavid is producing at a better rate because of more help from Hyman and better chemistry between them.

Honestly though, it's just a good player benefiting from playing with the games best player. Good for Hyman that he's doing well in Edmonton, he's exactly what we're desperately missing right now. Gritty top 6 LW, plays all situations, produces offensively, great on the PK, good on the PP and phenomenal on the forecheck.

If we're talking best value based on contract, it's Bunting ainec. Ignore contracts, I take Hyman over Bunting easily without thinking twice.

I just looked it up... it jives with "they are playing better together this year vs last".

Last year Hyman was on ice with McD 535 minutes total. They scored 30 goals and gave up 26 or 53.6% GF. And that jives with my memory, I didn't think there was much of a fit and Hyman seemed to play better with Nuge, or even Drai.

This year Hyman has been McD's main LW, with 545 minutes already. They've scored 47 and let up 31 for 60% goal share. And that again jives with the eye test. Hyman has learned to just crash the net with McD and let good things happen.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No you are taking a single datapoint, that has many other factors and variables at play, and extrapolating said datapoint to draw a conclusion for which you have insufficient data. It's kinda cute.
So, when others say Hyman is having a career year because of McDavid that's fine.

However, when I point out that Matthews and Marner had career years last season with Bunting it's wrong to mention that fact?

It's also true that the 63 points Bunting had was more than Hyman had in his six years in Toronto, and both of them had played full time with Matthews and Marner at 5v5.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
It's also true that the 63 points Bunting had was more than Hyman had in his six years in Toronto, and both of them had played full time with Matthews and Marner at 5v5.

In 2019-2020 there was 1 player with 100+ points and 9 with 80+. This year there are 8 players on pace for 100+ points and 30ish on pace for 80+. Even comping point totals to 3 years ago is apples to oranges.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Legitimate question. How much of his increase in point production do you believe is solely because of playing with McDavid ?

I watched a couple Oilers games including last nights, I've always loved Hyman. Just a complete work horse, always plays with maximum effort. That play when he took the hit to get McDavid the puck for the Nuge goal (1st one I believe?) was the kind of plays he'd always make in Toronto on a nightly basis. From what I've seen, he's playing just as good there as he did here, he has the work ethic. The difference is playing with the worlds best player and on the best PP unit in the league. He may have improved, but not enough where we can say his 40 point increase is all on him. He definitely has chemistry with McDavid, he does a great job on the forecheck and getting him the puck. But remove him from the worlds best player, I think he's a 60-65 point player.

It’s definitely part of it, but he’s by no means a passenger. Imo, he’s stepped up from the level of the last 3 seasons, and is playing more like a 70-80 point guy if he was in a different situation. The thing about Hyman is he just produces wherever he plays. He clicks with McDavid and Draisaitl, but his best chemistry on the team is probably with Nuge.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Hyman is a better player.

There's a tendency for fans to over exagerrate the shortcomings of departed players. I am not one of them even if Edmonton fans on this website are trash. Hyman was a great player here but his cap hit was too big for the team. Great PKer, good support guy. Could play up and down the lineup and on both wings.

Most of what he did well the Leafs had to bring in multiple players who replace him with.

- Support guy in the top 6 - Bunting
- PKer - Kampf
- Guy who can play up and down the lineup and fill multiple roles (PK, PP, 6v5, 5v6 etc.) Jarmkrok is probably that guy this year but he doesn't do it nearly as well as Hyman does.

I like Bunting for what he provides but wish we had Hyman too. He'd be a perfect fit on the Tavares line.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bunting is younger and getting way better.

What?

Hyman is currently 13th in NHL scoring, Bunting is not even top-100. Sure Hyman plays with great players but it's not like Bunting was playing with grinders

And Bunting is 27 y/o, Hyman is only 3 years older

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This isn’t even remotely close.

Hyman is the better player. I do like Bunting though, he’s a player any team would like to have.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If Leaf fans pick Bunting over Hyman, they may as well pick Bunting over Marner, Nylander, and Matthews :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad