Zach Hyman vs Michael Bunting

Who do you take Hyman or Bunting

• Total voters

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Matthews and Marner might be among the top players in the world but McDavid is still number 1.

look I know we argued last season over this alot but I have said many times that McDavid always has been the best player in the world but that doesnt mean that he will always be the best player for that season.

and last season I still do believe that Matthews was the better player for that season. but that's something that has to be proven year in and year out.

There's a reason Hyman's point totals have increased since joining Edmonton, he played with Toronto's top players too so is he really better than Bunting? or are his points inflated because of McDavid?
Im going to say yes to both

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Im going to say yes to both
Oh well I guess it's settled then.... anything else to add or is that just your opinion? imo it's not such an easy answer. Bunting has put up better numbers than Hyman has while he was here. so if we swapped Bunting with Hyman in Edmonton who would have the higher numbers?
I mean are you so sure Bunting is worse?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Oh well I guess it's settled then.... anything else to add or is that just your opinion? imo it's not such an easy answer. Bunting has put up better numbers than Hyman has while he was here. so if we swapped Bunting with Hyman in Edmonton who would have the higher numbers?
In my opinion Hyman is a better player. Who else's opinion would I be giving? The numbers Bunting is putting up now cant be equated to the numbers Hyman put up in TO. Matthews, Marner etc are all older and more experienced now. Then there is usage. You cant just say Bunting has better numbers on the team now than the guy that played there a couple years ago and expect it to stick....

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
In my opinion Hyman is a better player. Who else's opinion would I be giving? The numbers Bunting is putting up now cant be equated to the numbers Hyman put up in TO. Matthews, Marner etc are all older and more experienced now. Then there is usage. You cant just say Bunting has better numbers on the team now than the guy that played there a couple years ago and expect it to stick....
ok well I guess we can agree to disagree then. I think Bunting is the better player but not by much I should mention just slightly

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner and Matthews dragged hyman down.
Glad he can finally play with decent linemates look at him go!
Last season both Matthews and Marner both had career highs in goals and points with Bunting.

Matthews had 60 goals and 106 points. Marner had 35 goals and 97 points.

They never had those numbers when Hyman was playing with them at 5v5.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Barely anyone picked bunting in my poll. I got accused of making a poll because I had an agenda. Really it was to settle this debate. Odd I couldn’t find this thread to begin with. All I could find was one including contracts.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If contracts are included, 100% Bunting.

Ignoring contracts, it's a toss-up.

I prefer Bunting as he is more skilled, but Hyman is a bigger body that can grind more.

Both are propped up by their linemates.

Never thought Hyman was the best fit with Matthews/Marner because they try to include their linemates and Hyman has terrible hands/hockey sense, McDavid can do a lot more on his own.

Is there a website for points when a player is on a line with a specific player vs without that player? Cause Hyman's xGF% is terrible without McDavid.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Some terrible takes here.
These two players aren’t particularly close in skill or value.
Hyman is performing at the same level as Marner this year in terms of points. He’s taken his game to another level.
And yes he’s playing with a great player but not every player can do that. He’s a smart player who can mesh well with stars as he showed in Toronto and is even showing more so this year.

Reactions: Markham30

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Strictly looking at the player....I would take Hyman. Factoring in current contracts it is easily Bunting.

Next season will be best time to debate this as the player comparable are very close, we will see what Bunting receives as his next contract (UFA).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pretty much the same type of player,hard working grinders that can play with skill....See Clark Macarther

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Some terrible takes here.
These two players aren’t particularly close in skill or value.
Hyman is performing at the same level as Marner this year in terms of points. He’s taken his game to another level.
And yes he’s playing with a great player but not every player can do that. He’s a smart player who can mesh well with stars as he showed in Toronto and is even showing more so this year.
Marner already has had 94 points in 82 games in 2019 and last year he had 97 points in 72 games.

For Hyman to be performing at the same level as Marner we can judge that when he see his point totals at the end of this season.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
With Bunting being a UFA it will be interesting to see how the voting changes on his next contract.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marner already has had 94 points in 82 games in 2019 and last year he had 97 points in 72 games.

For Hyman to be performing at the same level as Marner we can judge that when he see his point totals at the end of this season.
I said he’s performed at Marner’s level in terms of points so far this year. That’s a factual statement. I never said anything about past seasons or the rest of the season or that he’s a better player.
No need to always be so defensive about your boy.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I said he’s performed at Marner’s level in terms of points so far this year. That’s a factual statement. I never said anything about past seasons or the rest of the season or that he’s a better player.
No need to always be so defensive about your boy.
It's one thing to use his pace. However, if Hyman ends up with less points than Marner's two best seasons, you won't have that argument anymore.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is there a website for points when a player is on a line with a specific player vs without that player? Cause Hyman's xGF% is terrible without McDavid.
Natural Stattrick lists points with. So you'd just have to do the math by subtracting total points from points with to find how many he scores without McDavid.

For instance, at 5on5 Hyman has 36 points, 26 of them with on the ice McDavid (not necessarily directly involved, just on the ice at the time) in around 500 minutes. So 10 points without McDavid, but in around 315 minutes.

Reactions: notbias

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

What’s terrible about it? It’s 49.1%, which isn’t great but is the exact same as the entire team’s xGF with McDavid off the ice.

As SidneytheKidney said, you can see points and minutes with teammates on NaturalStatTrick but you have to figure out production without by subtracting those from their totals. Hyman’s at 3.12 P/60 with McDavid (26 points in 499:58) and 1.9 P/60 without (10 in 315:54)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Last season Bunting had 63 points in 79 games.

Hyman's best season with Toronto was 41 points in 71 games during the 2018-19 season.

Keep in mind during Hyman's last season with Toronto his linemates at 5v5 was Matthews and Marner.

Bunting played last season at 5v5 with Matthews and Marner, which has continued this season when all three are put back together on the same line.

With the exception of the Leafs power play when Keefe has used 5 Forwards or when Matthews has missed games, Bunting isn't on the Leafs #1 power play line when they have 4 Forwards and 1 Defensemen. The same thing happened with Hyman not playing on the Leafs #1 power play line, despite playing on the Leafs #1 line at 5v5.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's one thing to use his pace. However, if Hyman ends up with less points than Marner's two best seasons, you won't have that argument anymore.

Sure. And if Hyman ends up with more points than Marner you won’t have your argument.
But as of right now they are about equal which is a fact not an argument. I never argued that Hyman would end up with more points. You’re confusing facts with arguments.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad