Zach Hyman Appreciation Thread.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hyman is just a rookie and much like many players in their 1st year they show improvement with experience and development.

Hyman did the same thing in NCAA where he started slow but in his final year he was among the leading scorer and a finalist for the Hobey Baker as best NCAA player.

If Hyman can become a 20 goal 45 point regular and bring everything else he does now he will be a valuable member of the Leafs when they're Cup competitive.

and you actually think he can consistently score 20 goals a season ? I know you're just stirring the pot but the guy's about to turn 25 so i don't see much upside to his game .

sure Babcock and Zach's friends and family are hoping for a Clarkson type lucky streak but hoping it can last 4-5 years is insane

also Hyman didn't just start slow in college , he did little to nothing offensively for 3 years before having a good senior season

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A lot of negativity for an appreciation thread.

I love what Hyman brings and I think he is one of the most consistent players on the team as far as effort is concerned. I think he is playing a bit above his pay scale currently but once he gets settled into his 3rd or 4th line duties he's going to be a fan favourite.

Agreed. I appreciate Zach Hyman, I approve of this thread and the complainers should do their complaining elsewhere. Congrats on a great rookie season Matt and I love the example you're setting with your work ethic. Keep up the good work. :handclap:

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This!
Name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back of the jersey.

Good role players are key to team success.

Successful PK players that prevent goals against contribute to team success as much as players that produce points on the PP, but are underappreciated because they just don't get the credit they deserve, because some recognize only goals and assists.

Leafs had a top 10 PK% at 82.5% and Hyman lead all NHL forwards in SH TOI/g this season. While SH ice time is the least likely to produce points Hyman still scored 4 goals and set new Leafs All-time record this year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The thing is about Hyman is that players are at a level now where they should be able to play a skill game with their grinding game, you'll see that more and more with players moving forward.

The sooner a Rychel or Grundstrom TYPE OF PLAYERS can take his spot the better.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hyman is just a rookie and much like many players in their 1st year they show improvement with experience and development.

Hyman did the same thing in NCAA where he started slow but in his final year he was among the leading scorer and a finalist for the Hobey Baker as best NCAA player.

If Hyman can become a 20 goal 45 point regular and bring everything else he does now he will be a valuable member of the Leafs when they're Cup competitive.

There is literally zero tangible evidence suggesting he can come close to 20 goals and 45 points.

And again he's a guy turning 25 next year, he might technically be a rookie in the NHL level but he's no spring chicken. The average NHL forward has on average played their best season by the age of 26 when it comes to production.

Again I like Hyman but it's these lofty expectations that are setting him up to fail. He's a great PKer and a good forechecker nothing more.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Looks like Leafs Nation is getting ready to Tonya Harding Hyman in the parking lot to get him off that line.

:)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There is literally zero tangible evidence suggesting he can come close to 20 goals and 45 points.

And again he's a guy turning 25 next year, he might technically be a rookie in the NHL level but he's no spring chicken. The average NHL forward has on average played their best season by the age of 26 when it comes to production.

Again I like Hyman but it's these lofty expectations that are setting him up to fail. He's a great PKer and a good forechecker nothing more.

Once Hyman gets more PP time and less PK time his production will increase.

He could replace uncle Leo on the PP and provide a similar crease presence.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Hyman wont improve much physically but mentally....experience is huge and the guy managed 10 (?) Goals his rookie season with a pretty low percentage...he could definatly have a year or two with 20+... needs pp and good linemates tho

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Neither should be on the PP.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Why in the world would you lessen Hyman's penalty kill time when he's a big reason it was so good, and is also a threat to score a shorty?

Leave his special teams time alone. He'd be terrible on the powerplay. There's not much need for him to retrieve the puck on the powerplay, and seeing as he can't make or receive a pass to save his life, he'd be botching chances the whole time he's out there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Neither should be on the PP.

You need a net front presence and distraction and someone to occupy the Dmen and screen the goalie, and battle in the blue paint.

You're not going to get that from skilled players like Nylander and Marner.

Uncle Leo does that for his PP unit but he is getting older.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews 1st NHL goal

Matthews record setting Leafs rookie goal record 35th

Hyman will have the distinction of setting up the 1st goal and his record breaking one.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Matthews 1st NHL goal

Matthews record setting Leafs rookie goal record 35th

Hyman will have the distinction of setting up the 1st goal and his record breaking one.

Classic Hyman. Screws up a wraparound and it ends on Matthews stick. There's a part of me that wants to believe he's trying to do that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs' Zach Hyman writing own script as Robin to Auston Matthews' Batman

Budding author has emerged as key part of dynamic duo with Toronto's star rookie
By Jonas Siegel, The Canadian Press

hkn-leafs-canucks-20161203.jpg

When he was still the head coach of the Detroit Red Wings, Mike Babcock often watched Wings prospect Dylan Larkin play at the University of Michigan. He'd always come away impressed by Larkin and another player: then-Florida Panthers prospect Zach Hyman. "I just saw him get the puck to Larkin all the time," Babcock said. "That's all I saw. He just got the puck, got it to Larkin and they scored."

Hyman has found a similar role in his first full season with the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Robin to Auston Matthews' Batman. The 24-year-old now gets the puck for Matthews, whose 15 goals lead the Leafs and trail only Winnipeg's Patrik Laine among NHL rookies.

Babcock prefers muckers like Hyman around talents like Matthews. While in Detroit he learned from Red Wings legends Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk that the skilled types preferred those who got the puck back for them to those who kept it."They don't want three guys on a line that want the puck," Babcock said. "They want guys that get 'em the puck and then get open."

Hyman believes his most translatable NHL asset is his strength on the puck, how he's able to track it down on the forecheck and get it back for his side. The next move is dishing it as quickly as possible to playmakers like Larkin and Matthews.

Continued: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/zach-hyman-dynamic-duo-1.3905802

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

But he won't get PP time because Babcock loves him on the PK and there no signs Komarov is going anywhere. Not to mention even if Leo is traded that's not a guarantee Hyman would be his PP replacement.

I don't see how he could possibly find a way to come close to being a 45 point player.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
There's been some pretty good offensive numbers put up by forwards that had a Darrin Shannon, Mike Krushelnyski, Sergei Mommeso, or a Clark Gillies type player on their line. In many cases, what these players offered was the sandpaper on the line and a defensive conscious over massive skills that drove their linemates to greatness. Even the Leafs Mark Osborne wasn't much more offensive then Matt Stajan, but with Olyczyk, they were able to push Leeman to 50 goals. Great offensive lines do not necessarily need to have three All-Star players on them to produce.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
"Zack Hyman only scored 10 goals, 18 assists for 29 points."

Hyman_book.jpg

We'll never confuse Zack Hyman for William Nylander, but the constant pounding you hear from fans is unbelievable. To be quite honestly, this guys comes from no-where!
The simple fact is, the guy was just able to play all kinds of minutes and be trusted. For all the talents in the world, he simply out-worked them. He knocked established
veteran players out of the NHL. His hustle is second to none. Is he an elite scorer? No. So let's compare his rookie season to some other players... some who are 'elite' scorers:

• Henrik Sedin scored 9 goals, 20 assists for 29 points in 82 games.
  • Phil Kessel scored 11 goals, 18 assists for 29 points in 70 games.
  • Niklas Hagman scored 10 goals, 18 assists for 29 points in 78 games.
  • Craig Simpson scored 11 goals, 17 assists for 28 points in 76 games.
  • Vincent Lecavalier scored 13 goals, 15 assists for 28 points in 82 games.
  • P.J. Axelsson scored 8 goals, 19 assists for 27 points in 82 games.
  • Milan Lucic scored 8 goals, 19 assists for 27 points in 77 games.
Yeah there's 9000 players in the history of the NHL who wished they had Hyman's offensive numbers in their rookie season.

Lets see how he's done:

• 31st all-time short-handed points scored for NHL rookies.
  • Most short-handed goals by a Leaf rookie.
  • Tied with six other Leafs for most consecutive assists (6)
  • 104th all-time hits by a rookie.
  • 36th all-time blocked shots by a rookie forward.
  • 56th all-time take-aways by a rookie forward.
  • 10th all-time penalty-killing ice-time by a rookie.

In his first season, Hyman established himself as a premier defensive forward. The fact is, the Leaf fan base got excited for Wellwood's 11 goals in his rookie season, despite his inability
to offer much else. But with players like Matthews, Nylander, and Marner, fans are actually upset with having a rookie that can play two-way hockey that only scored 28 points.

We might as well take a quick look at some of his other accolades he's accomplished.

• OJHL North-West Conference First All-Star Team 2010–11
  • OJHL BJ Monroe Trophy 2010–11
  • OJHL Most Gentlemanly Player 2010–11
  • CJHL Player of the Year 2010–11
  • Bates/Deskins Award Winner 2014
  • GLI All-Tournament Team 2014
  • All-Big Ten First Team 2014–15
  • AHCA West First-Team All-American 2014–15
  • Big Ten Scoring Champion 2014–15
  • Big Ten All-Tournament Team 2015
  • Coach Wooden Citizenship Cup Award Finalist 2015
  • Hobey Baker Award Top-10 Finalist 2015
  • Capital One First Team Academic All-District Selection 2015
  • Capital One Academic All-America Division I Men's At-Large Team 2015
  • University of Michigan Athlete of the Year 2015
  • NSCA All-American Strength and Conditioning Athlete of the Year 2015
  • Joseph E. Barss Award "True Team Player" 2014–15
  • Hal Downes Trophy "Most Valuable Player" 2014–15
  • Doc Losh Trophy "Scoring Leader" 2014–15
  • Carl Isaacson Trophy "Best Student Athlete" 2014–15
  • 2015 All-American Athlete Award by The National Strength and Conditioning Association (NCSA) and EAS Sports Nutrition
  • 2014-15 Senior Athlete of The Year Award winner from Michigan.
  • As a 17-year-old underage player, was Assistant Captain in the U20 Three Nations tournament.
  • Gold medal winner for Canada at the 2013 Maccabiah Games held in Israel.

Pretty accomplished player. Determined. A winner. Oh, and the Children's books are pretty cool to.

To sum it up, the Leafs gave up Greg McKegg for a player drafted in the 5th round. We could all see that he was never going be an elite scorer. But some could see something else, that he's a winner.
You have to ask yourself, did the Leafs trade a possible career AHLer for a player that came in and possibly LEAD the team in some aspects? What a great dimension to have. It allowed Babcock
to ice not just one player, but an entire line of nothing but rookies! And this is just the beginning. Matthews works on his face-off, Nylander works on his defensive game, Hyman works on his offensive game, etc.

We might not of seen anything yet.

What a scrub eh? I mean my hockey career was way better than that
:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad