Zach Hyman Appreciation Thread.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Sure,I agree the notion of top six bottom six is outdated (especially under Babcocks systems), but with that said even under that context it's not unreasonable to want to find a replacement for Hyman on that top line who can provide more offense as well as also be defensively responsible, especially if the team is looking to move towards being a contender.

I really feel this is the crux of the whole Hyman debate. It is because Babs has moved past the antiquated top 6/bottom 6 and has us playing with 3 scoring lines. This doesn't mean we have 9 scoring forwards though, we still pretty much have 6 offensively minded forwards and 6 forwards with other roles to play.

So those 3 forwards who would otherwise have made up the 3rd line get sprinkled throughout the 3 scoring lines to create depth and more balanced scoring.

This is why we have Leo, Brown and Hyman playing within those 3 forward lines. 2 of those 3 actually see PP time, but that is because we use 8 forwards for our 2 PP units and not 6.

Those same 3 + the 4th line RW are also the main PKers.

It won't always be these 3 forwards Babs uses to fill these spots, but you can see skill sets required to fill these 3 roles.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I really feel this is the crux of the whole Hyman debate. It is because Babs has moved past the antiquated top 6/bottom 6 and has us playing with 3 scoring lines. This doesn't mean we have 9 scoring forwards though, we still pretty much have 6 offensively minded forwards and 6 forwards with other roles to play.

So those 3 forwards who would otherwise have made up the 3rd line get sprinkled throughout the 3 scoring lines to create depth and more balanced scoring.

This is why we have Leo, Brown and Hyman playing within those 3 forward lines. 2 of those 3 actually see PP time, but that is because we use 8 forwards for our 2 PP units and not 6.

Those same 3 + the 4th line RW are also the main PKers.

It won't always be these 3 forwards Babs uses to fill these spots, but you can see skill sets required to fill these 3 roles.

Balance, good use of talent.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
And yet he was a ghost down the stretch, had 20 games doing basically nothing.

His hustle is great he looked serviceable ... as a 4th liner. Matthews with a skilled LW and Nylander could be so good. Who doesn't want to see them put up ridiculous numbers going forward? Is Hyman going to push them to their 80-90+ point ceiling? Hell no lets get serious folks. He has no hands or creativity and for a grinder he barely registers impactful hits. He is easily replaceable... Soshnikov.

So he goes from 1st line to 4th line? I don't see it like that at all. There's nobody on this team that is going to do what he does better. Soshnikov included. Perfect slotting should see him as a 3rd liner with 2nd line spot duty. Obviously we aren't quite that deep on the LW. And as mentioned above, Babcock loves balanced lines.

If you want to talk about replacing Hyman for an improved player with similar puck retrievals you need to make a trade... or possibly wait for Grundstrom to develop internally.

People love to talk about all the scoring opportunities he misses, but they forget that a lot of guys can't even get themselves in position to get those opportunities to begin with.

He was also a rookie, and likely got a rougher ride from this fanbase than any rookie I've ever seen.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So he goes from 1st line to 4th line? I don't see it like that at all. There's nobody on this team that is going to do what he does better. Soshnikov included. Perfect slotting should see him as a 3rd liner with 2nd line spot duty. Obviously we aren't quite that deep on the LW. And as mentioned above, Babcock loves balanced lines.

If you want to talk about replacing Hyman for an improved player with similar puck retrievals you need to make a trade... or possibly wait for Grundstrom to develop internally.

People love to talk about all the scoring opportunities he misses, but they forget that a lot of guys can't even get themselves in position to get those opportunities to begin with.

He was also a rookie, and likely got a rougher ride from this fan base than any rookie I've ever seen.

if you ever stopped burying your face in the coach/mgmt's ass you'd be able too see Hyman doesn't retrieve pucks at a high rate and is easily replaceable

Hyman runs around and mucks up the play which gives his line mates time to come over and dig the puck out but anyone can just chase the puck . Also if he could make a pass off the rush instead of just doing a soft dump to himself (which he usually loses the puck battle ) he wouldn't have to chase the puck as much .

and you overlook and how often he glues himself to the front of the net (which is easy to do) waiting for his line mates to create scoring chances which he can't convert because of the total lack of skill

so he's getting the roughest ride of any rookie in the history of the Leaf franchise because a few people are saying he belongs on the 4th line ? oh the horror :shakehead

Last edited:

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
if you ever stopped burying your face in the coach/mgmt's ass you'd be able too see Hyman doesn't retrieve pucks at a high rate and is easily replaceable

Hyman runs around and mucks up the play which gives his line mates time to come over and dig the puck out but anyone can just chase the puck . Also if he could make a pass off the rush instead of just doing a soft dump to himself (which he usually loses the puck battle ) he wouldn't have to chase the puck as much .

and you overlook and how often he glues himself to the front of the net (which is easy to do) waiting for his line mates to create scoring chances which he can't convert because of the total lack of skill

so he's getting the rough ride of any rookie in the history of the Leaf franchise because a few people are saying he belongs on the 4th line ? oh the horror :shakehead

So now it's a bad thing to go to the net, draw defenders and create space?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I understand the love for Hyman....hard worker...good skater....excellent on he PK...a valuable asset..
But.....let's not get carried away.....he would be an asset on the checking line...even on a Stanley cup contender..but there is no way he should be on the top line with Mathews...
Second half off the season he was consistently losing board battles...when he does he either throws it out front or tries the wraparound which never works....
he just doesn't have the talent to be there..
But do I love him? Sure....just not on that line..

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
His worth was shown in the playoffs. Just...would be better suited on the 3rd line...maybe 4th.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I hope Hyman is on the 4th line next year or traded... watching him on Matthews wing made me sick all season long

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I understand the love for Hyman....hard worker...good skater....excellent on he PK...a valuable asset..
But.....let's not get carried away.....he would be an asset on the checking line...even on a Stanley cup contender..but there is no way he should be on the top line with Mathews...
Second half off the season he was consistently losing board battles...when he does he either throws it out front or tries the wraparound which never works....
he just doesn't have the talent to be there..
But do I love him? Sure....just not on that line..

I pretty much agree... Hyman has a shooters mentality, but lacks the scorers touch, and has no clue how to execute a give and go.
Matthews passes him the puck and skates to the slot, and waits for the return pass that never comes because Hyman would skate the puck into the corner than lose it, or try to take it all the way himself, and once again, lose it

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
So now it's a bad thing to go to the net, draw defenders and create space?

Its bad to go to the net when Matthews is already there and waiting, and you have no finish or strength to outbattle anyone in front.
His job was chase the puck and feed Matthews, and he couldnt do it properly.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Its bad to go to the net when Matthews is already there and waiting, and you have no finish or strength to outbattle anyone in front.
His job was chase the puck and feed Matthews, and he couldnt do it properly.

[NHL2]t-288496510/c-51626903[/NHL2]

I see what you mean. 2 bodies going to the net is redundant.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Offense can be a lot of live by the sword, die by the sword. Anyone who watched the Leafs in the 80's can attest to that. Want-to-be hockey stars, playing wide-open hockey that generated some offense, but rarely resulted in wins. Just look at some of the Leaf's recent past for player's giveaways. Yipes! The amount of trouble caused by a failed pretty pass will always cause more risk then a winger losing a puck battle in the corner. Instead of getting set-up to defend, your defense is on their heels. Defense isn't just counting shots, it's the quality of shots. While Raycroft is being boo'd out of town, Chris Osgood is winning a Cup... and honestly don't think either one of them was much better then the other. The way their teams played in front of them was all the difference. The Leafs are making great gains in keeping the puck out of their net. You don't always need to be making fancy plays. Hell even watch the power-play sometimes and see how fast the opposition has the puck going the wrong way. Now do that at even-strength. There's a time for everything. Sometimes the right play is a give and go with Nylander, but other times, instead of forcing something that isn't there, a simple dump in the corner/Hyman is the best choice.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
A lot of negativity for an appreciation thread.

I love what Hyman brings and I think he is one of the most consistent players on the team as far as effort is concerned. I think he is playing a bit above his pay scale currently but once he gets settled into his 3rd or 4th line duties he's going to be a fan favourite.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Zack Hyman had 4 points in six. Lucic had 6 points in 12. I know Hyman isn't exactly Matt Martin in intimidation, but in some context, Hyman did fairly well.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
He played every single game on Matthews wing.

Matthews scored 40 freaking goals. Hyman had 28 points. There's a reason Matthews was low on assists.

He'd be a FANTASTIC 4th liner. Get someone with skill on Mathews wing and drop Hyman into a spot he will be better suited.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nobody else can get as far as to chase down the puck the way Hyman does. He's one of the best on the team at creating chances because of it.

If this were true then he'd have more points. I'm not convinced at all that a more skilled player couldn't accomplish the same thing with much better results.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
A lot of negativity for an appreciation thread.

I love what Hyman brings and I think he is one of the most consistent players on the team as far as effort is concerned. I think he is playing a bit above his pay scale currently but once he gets settled into his 3rd or 4th line duties he's going to be a fan favourite.

I never understood why the Hyman Haters Club had all season to create their own Negative Hyman Thread. They sure seem to fail to understand what an Appreciation thread is.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
If the Bozak line disbands this offseason, we might see Hyman shift away from Matthews. It's a big "if" and depending on who is traded (not just limited to the Bozak line) we could see changes. Babcock likes his lunch pail guys and the Marlies are going to be bringing up several of them. With that said, my money is on Hyman and Matthews being joined at the hip for next season.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
It's a results oriented sport. It's like sales for example, if you are closing deals, prospecting and getting sales, fantastic, I won't be fired (unless there is a personality issue) but if I was working hard yet not getting results, I'm toast. Working hard is fantastic, but it has to be translated with results.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hyman is just a rookie and much like many players in their 1st year they show improvement with experience and development.

Hyman did the same thing in NCAA where he started slow but in his final year he was among the leading scorer and a finalist for the Hobey Baker as best NCAA player.

If Hyman can become a 20 goal 45 point regular and bring everything else he does now he will be a valuable member of the Leafs when they're Cup competitive.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's a results oriented sport. It's like sales for example, if you are closing deals, prospecting and getting sales, fantastic, I won't be fired (unless there is a personality issue) but if I was working hard yet not getting results, I'm toast. Working hard is fantastic, but it has to be translated with results.

Team results are more important than individual results.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

I worked with a guy who was inexperienced didn't sell much. His buddy who got him the job was by far the best salesman in the company. It's probably why they hired his buddy. Well after a year they let the poor guy go. The best salesman said if he goes I go. Well he went as well, so yeah the best guy can be let go as well.

Happy ending for the canned ones though. Long story short the best salesman opened his own rival company, just decimated our company.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad