Zach Hyman Appreciation Thread.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
"Zack Hyman only scored 10 goals, 18 assists for 29 points."

Hyman_book.jpg

We'll never confuse Zack Hyman for William Nylander, but the constant pounding you hear from fans is unbelievable. To be quite honestly, this guys comes from no-where!
The simple fact is, the guy was just able to play all kinds of minutes and be trusted. For all the talents in the world, he simply out-worked them. He knocked established
veteran players out of the NHL. His hustle is second to none. Is he an elite scorer? No. So let's compare his rookie season to some other players... some who are 'elite' scorers:

• Henrik Sedin scored 9 goals, 20 assists for 29 points in 82 games.
  • Phil Kessel scored 11 goals, 18 assists for 29 points in 70 games.
  • Niklas Hagman scored 10 goals, 18 assists for 29 points in 78 games.
  • Craig Simpson scored 11 goals, 17 assists for 28 points in 76 games.
  • Vincent Lecavalier scored 13 goals, 15 assists for 28 points in 82 games.
  • P.J. Axelsson scored 8 goals, 19 assists for 27 points in 82 games.
  • Milan Lucic scored 8 goals, 19 assists for 27 points in 77 games.
Yeah there's 9000 players in the history of the NHL who wished they had Hyman's offensive numbers in their rookie season.

Lets see how he's done:

• 31st all-time short-handed points scored for NHL rookies.
  • Most short-handed goals by a Leaf rookie.
  • Tied with six other Leafs for most consecutive assists (6)
  • 104th all-time hits by a rookie.
  • 36th all-time blocked shots by a rookie forward.
  • 56th all-time take-aways by a rookie forward.
  • 10th all-time penalty-killing ice-time by a rookie.

In his first season, Hyman established himself as a premier defensive forward. The fact is, the Leaf fan base got excited for Wellwood's 11 goals in his rookie season, despite his inability
to offer much else. But with players like Matthews, Nylander, and Marner, fans are actually upset with having a rookie that can play two-way hockey that only scored 28 points.

We might as well take a quick look at some of his other accolades he's accomplished.

• OJHL North-West Conference First All-Star Team 2010–11
  • OJHL BJ Monroe Trophy 2010–11
  • OJHL Most Gentlemanly Player 2010–11
  • CJHL Player of the Year 2010–11
  • Bates/Deskins Award Winner 2014
  • GLI All-Tournament Team 2014
  • All-Big Ten First Team 2014–15
  • AHCA West First-Team All-American 2014–15
  • Big Ten Scoring Champion 2014–15
  • Big Ten All-Tournament Team 2015
  • Coach Wooden Citizenship Cup Award Finalist 2015
  • Hobey Baker Award Top-10 Finalist 2015
  • Capital One First Team Academic All-District Selection 2015
  • Capital One Academic All-America Division I Men's At-Large Team 2015
  • University of Michigan Athlete of the Year 2015
  • NSCA All-American Strength and Conditioning Athlete of the Year 2015
  • Joseph E. Barss Award "True Team Player" 2014–15
  • Hal Downes Trophy "Most Valuable Player" 2014–15
  • Doc Losh Trophy "Scoring Leader" 2014–15
  • Carl Isaacson Trophy "Best Student Athlete" 2014–15
  • 2015 All-American Athlete Award by The National Strength and Conditioning Association (NCSA) and EAS Sports Nutrition
  • 2014-15 Senior Athlete of The Year Award winner from Michigan.
  • As a 17-year-old underage player, was Assistant Captain in the U20 Three Nations tournament.
  • Gold medal winner for Canada at the 2013 Maccabiah Games held in Israel.

Pretty accomplished player. Determined. A winner. Oh, and the Children's books are pretty cool to.

To sum it up, the Leafs gave up Greg McKegg for a player drafted in the 5th round. We could all see that he was never going be an elite scorer. But some could see something else, that he's a winner.
You have to ask yourself, did the Leafs trade a possible career AHLer for a player that came in and possibly LEAD the team in some aspects? What a great dimension to have. It allowed Babcock
to ice not just one player, but an entire line of nothing but rookies! And this is just the beginning. Matthews works on his face-off, Nylander works on his defensive game, Hyman works on his offensive game, etc.

We might not of seen anything yet.

Reactions: emilepep

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Hyman got a lot of grief for basically something that was completely out of his control. I also think he hit the rookie wall HARD and that didn't help matters. He had a decent playoffs though. I don't think he'll be amazingly sexy offensively or anything but I think at a decent contract, working between third/four lines and PK he'll be a good guy.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Like the guy but he needs to be taken off the 1st line...thought he was a blackhole out there even in the playoffs, offensively. But his role as a utility player (i.e. PK) is great.

I think the only reason there's a lot of grief about him is because he's played way above his capability, otherwise, he'd generally be a lot more appreciated on here.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Just leave him there besides Matthews and change the winger on the other side to someone bigger.

My most favourite play with that line, of Hyman Matthews and Nylander, is the one man forecheck. Sometimes it actually works and Hyman digs it out and Matthews actually scores a goal off the one man forecheck. Matthews stands there looking at the forecheck, trying to position himself correctly if the puck pops loose. Nylander is further away watching the play, almost like he's thinking that looks rough could get hurt better to back check this rush chance.

Then we come to these forums to see Hyman pillared for his one man check. It's hilarious!

However, they did learn in the playoffs, one man goes in for the forecheck, one man gets the puck, the trailing forward scores the goal. It was such good all around it made it to Maple Leafs Corner with Don Cherry.

:help: :scared: :help:

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I think with the make up of our roster at the beginning of this season passed Hyman was slotted in the proper slot. If we wanted to have 3 lines that were a threat to score this is the make up we needed. However with the emergence of Kappy there is room to make a change provided someone is willing to play on their off wing.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Secured his spot playing with Mathews and Nylander next season. Well unless he doesn't have an NHL summer.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I like Hyman but i still don't think he belongs in the top 6. Hard working players like him should be in the bottom 6.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Solid player. If guys like Bozak and JVR had 50% of the hustle that Hyman has, that would be nice. The fact he works harder than these so called "leaders" is bad. He and Kadri are two of our hardest working players. With Kadri having solid playmaking as a top 2 centre and Hyman's effort, they could be good linemates in the future.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
One of the hardest workers on the team. Was the biggest contributor at forward for the PK which ranked 10th in the entire league.

I know people hate him already but if Hyman gets better after his rookie year (shocker I know) then we have a great two way player that we should keep.

What's his ceiling? 40 points and top PK duties? I'd be happy with that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One of the hardest workers on the team. Was the biggest contributor at forward for the PK which ranked 10th in the entire league.

I know people hate him already but if Hyman gets better after his rookie year (shocker I know) then we have a great two way player that we should keep.

What's his ceiling? 40 points and top PK duties? I'd be happy with that.

40 might be pushing it, especially if he gets pushed down the lineup.

Probably tops out as a 30ish point guy.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

He got 28 points this year, 4 points in 6 playoff games. I think Babcock continues to use him in a top 9 role too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He got 28 points this year, 4 points in 6 playoff games. I think Babcock continues to use him in a top 9 role too.

He's also 24, turning 25 and played with two 60+ point linemates for the bulk of the season.

I'm not so sure he's got much more offensively to give. Especially since the average NHLer has their best season by the age of 26. He's in the middle of his prime already....

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
His "Hustle" and "Forecheck" is so goddamn overrated. Tons of players in the marlies can do what he does or AHL players all around the league.

Hyman got no hands. No offensive instincts and No creativity. Sometimes it doesnt look like he has a brain either. He tried the same wraparound move coming out from behind the net all season long and every single time it failed miserably. The Dude is so obvious, it's astonishing.

COnnor Brown is essentially the better version of HYman with more skill. Makes no sense to have both on the team

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I'd appreciate him being on the 4th line.

I don't hate him or anything, it's just he's a 4th liner.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

The guy did hit 28 points without pp..if he can become a bit better at finishing 40 is very realistic. That is a big if tho. But hey hyman outscored Larkin when they played together so you never know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad