Zach Hyman Appreciation Thread.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
and you actually think he can consistently score 20 goals a season ? I know you're just stirring the pot but the guy's about to turn 25 so i don't see much upside to his game .

sure Babcock and Zach's friends and family are hoping for a Clarkson type lucky streak but hoping it can last 4-5 years is insane

also Hyman didn't just start slow in college , he did little to nothing offensively for 3 years before having a good senior season

Hyman can thank Larkin for that season.

Hyman is what he is, a good 3rd/4th liner. Wanting anything more is foolish. At 25 years old, the third highest amount of high danger scoring chances in the league, while playing with one or 2 stars for the whole season he mistard up 20 goals. Lets praise him for what he is (an excellent energy guy/ valuable PKer) and not try to turn him into something he's very unlikely to be (a 20 goal scorer).

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Solid player. Doesnt just play because he is apparently the son of Babcock. Good player and should kept on the team for a long time

Josh Leivo's relatives have made the posts criticizing that Hyman shouldnt be on the team.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Solid player. Doesnt just play because he is apparently the son of Babcock. Good player and should kept on the team for a long time

Josh Leivo's relatives have made the posts criticizing that Hyman shouldnt be on the team.

I haven't seen many people say he should be off the team. I have seen people saying he shouldn't be on Matthews wing

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Let's see if he takes this summer seriously and works on his shot and puck handling. I doubt it, but even if he improves a little in those areas that could add 10 points to his totals which would put him close to 40 points.

I must but dreaming lol.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Let's see if he takes this summer seriously and works on his shot and puck handling. I doubt it, but even if he improves a little in those areas that could add 10 points to his totals which would put him close to 40 points.

I must but dreaming lol.

It's not as easy as doing a few drills and adding 10 pts. He might just not have 40pt talent.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Great player to have on the Leafs. Happy to cheer for the guy.

Not a 1st line winger....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But he won't get PP time because Babcock loves him on the PK and there no signs Komarov is going anywhere. Not to mention even if Leo is traded that's not a guarantee Hyman would be his PP replacement.

I don't see how he could possibly find a way to come close to being a 45 point player.

Hyman had 28 points this year with zero PP time.

A mere +12 point improvement next year would put him in the 40 point range.

As Matthews wingman this year and having to go up against tough QofC from the opposition on many nights that hindered his offensive output some, and then expected to the be defensive conscience for the line forced him to think defense more than offense as well to prevent the opposition from scoring.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hyman had 28 points this year with zero PP time.

A mere +12 point improvement next year would put him in the 40 point range.

As Matthews wingman this year and having to go up against tough QofC from the opposition on many nights that hindered his offensive output some, and then expected to the be defensive conscience for the line forced him to think defense more than offense as well to prevent the opposition from scoring.

12+ points is easier said than done.

It's a matter of where these points are going to come from. The PP isn't an option, so it's goo to have to happen in 5v5 situations (and that's assuming he scores as much short handed).

Which I'll conceded he has the chance to do, but his 5v5 offensive numbers this past season are pretty dismal considering his usage and and linemates. So I do suspect 40+ points will be something that is simply out of reach, but I do hope he proves me wrong

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He played almost exclusively on a line with Auston Matthews, a 40-goal scorer who finished second in the league behind only Sidney Crosby in goals by a centerman. With 975 of his even-strength minutes spent on Matthews’ wing, Hyman shared 90% of his 5v5 ice time with a generational talent.
I
With Matthews on the ice (5v5), Hyman posted just five goals and 18 assists over 82 games. It’s doubtful there is another example of a winger spending 90% of his time riding shotgun to a 40-goal scorer and finishing with fewer than 30 points over 82 games.
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/05/12/connor-brown-zach-hyman-going-make-next-contracts/

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd offer Hyman $1.5M AAV for a longer term that takes him past free agency age. Maybe as much as 5 years. He'll get to stay on a team on the rise even if it's eventually on the 4th line. If his play declines, the impact will be minimal. He's probably going to make a ton of money after he retires from hockey especially with the notoriety of being a longtime Leaf.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think its worth trying to revitalize this thread. How about we keep two threads here... one for those posters that appreciate Hyman's role and what he brings to the team... and let the Hyman bashers sulk in the "Hmm...Hyman" thread...?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
But he won't get PP time because Babcock loves him on the PK and there no signs Komarov is going anywhere. Not to mention even if Leo is traded that's not a guarantee Hyman would be his PP replacement.

I don't see how he could possibly find a way to come close to being a 45 point player.

It's not as easy as doing a few drills and adding 10 pts. He might just not have 40pt talent.

Just wondering if either of your opinions have changed.

Currently on pace for about 40 points without any PP time and 1/4 the seasons sans Matthews.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think its worth trying to revitalize this thread. How about we keep two threads here... one for those posters that appreciate Hyman's role and what he brings to the team... and let the Hyman bashers sulk in the "Hmm...Hyman" thread...?
The usual suspects will show up shortly with their shortsighted rhetoric

Reactions: stickty111

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd like to see more of him on the RW. It gives him so much more room to protect the puck and drive it.
Maybe the arrival of grundstrom will help with that shift eventually?
I think Korshkov is a lefty too? If jvr doesn't comeback we will need some replacements on the left

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Maybe the arrival of grundstrom will help with that shift eventually?
I think Korshkov is a lefty too? If jvr doesn't comeback we will need some replacements on the left
Isn't Kappy quite comfortable playing the left side? I can see a Kapanen - Matthews - Hyman line.

That dish from Hyman to Johnsson coming down the right side was a glimpse of how much easier it is for him on his natural side.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Isn't Kappy quite comfortable playing the left side? I can see a Kapanen - Matthews - Hyman line.

That dish from Hyman to Johnsson coming down the right side was a glimpse of how much easier it is for him on his natural side.
I just think grundstrom would free kapanen up for the sniper role where I think he is better suited.
Grundstrom loves the board play and scores those gritty goals.
Kapanen matthews Hyman
Grundstrom nylander johnsson
Marleau kadri marner

Reactions: White Shadow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad