Zach Bogosian

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really don't know where you're seeing this progress to be honest. He's in his 6th year in the league, has almost 400 games and he's trending downwards IMO. He holds onto the puck a half second too long and gets in trouble a lot. He's playing with virtually zero confidence. His offensive instincts are well behind Trouba, Enstrom, Postma and Buff - no idea why he's on the power play. His positioning is bad and his decision making is somewhere near Clitsome at the bottom of the pack. His physical skills - speed, strength, acceleration are really the only thing he has above anyone else.

Unless he's fighting off some injury we don't know if, he could very well be as good now as he'll ever be, which-on his best days- is a #3 or #4 shutdown guy. At least that's my opinion.

I think Zach is settling into a role that he didn't think he would play, and one that fans of the Thrashers/ Jets and Bogo himself didn't think he would either. He used to be somewhat of a riverboat gambler and his offensive prowess just hasn't translated as well as hoped into an effective NHL game.

I think he is now developing into the role of a shutdown defenseman with a bit of offensive ability. I don't think he's ever going to put up big numbers offensively but I'm ok with that if he can continue to get better in his own end.

That is where I see the improvement and development. It might not be sexy, but good teams need a guy like that in their top 4. If we can get Morrissey and Trouba playing well offensively, and another defense first guy to play in that top 4, our D could be very well balanced.

Bogo started very young, and his road so far has been twisty and rocky with coaching and injury. I've seen very solid play from Zach this season, and as I said his share of uh oh moments too. Just hoping to see more and more of those fade as we go along.

I've accepted what Bogosian will become. I hope others can too.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This is his 7th year in the NHL. I think this is pretty much it for a few years. Until his physical decline.

So he's knocked down a peg because he played in the league earlier than most defensemen?

I have issues with his play from time to time, but I think it's a bit unfair to punish him for Atlanta's decision to insert him into the lineup at an early age: most d-men of his draft pedigree would have had more seasoning before reaching the NHL.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Zach is settling into a role that he didn't think he would play, and one that fans of the Thrashers/ Jets and Bogo himself didn't think he would either. He used to be somewhat of a riverboat gambler and his offensive prowess just hasn't translated as well as hoped into an effective NHL game.

I think he is now developing into the role of a shutdown defenseman with a bit of offensive ability. I don't think he's ever going to put up big numbers offensively but I'm ok with that if he can continue to get better in his own end.

That is where I see the improvement and development. It might not be sexy, but good teams need a guy like that in their top 4. If we can get Morrissey and Trouba playing well offensively, and another defense first guy to play in that top 4, our D could be very well balanced.

Bogo started very young, and his road so far has been twisty and rocky with coaching and injury. I've seen very solid play from Zach this season, and as I said his share of uh oh moments too. Just hoping to see more and more of those fade as we go along.

I've accepted what Bogosian will become. I hope others can too.

As have I. He is a big bodied 2nd pairing guy who can eat up a lot of mins. He can be put into a lot of different situations when needed. He has all the necessary skills. He may lack the high hockey IQ that separates him from the best in the game, but he will likely settle into being a very good long time pro.

We're better off keeping him at this point. His trade value isn't going to be very high, especially with his contract.

Actually IMO Bogo's contract would probably be very appealing to teams. He is a 24 yo 2nd pairing guy who plays a lot of mins. There are a lot worse d-man making much more money. He is probably slightly over paid now, but as the cap rises he will probably be considered good value.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is his 7th year in the NHL. I think this is pretty much it for a few years. Until his physical decline.

That statement makes zero sense.

Just because he was in the NHL as an 18 year old doesn't mean he's done in his development.

Guess who the New York Islanders may have thought was done in his development as a 24 year old and traded away? Can't remember?

Zdeno Chara.

Not saying that Zach Bogosian is destined to become Chara I am simply saying that there is a helluva lot more development and maturity still left for Zach that will improve his game.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Bogosian would have been a UFA this summer (July 2015) given his 7 years experience when this season is completed, and I'd be willing to bet teams would drool over having him at 25 years old with a cap hit of 5,142,857. We can say "look at McDonagh's contract" but truth be told his was undervalued in my opinion the day he signed it, that's his problem and shouldn't be used as a bar in terms of comparables. Same goes for Tavares' deal. They, for whatever reason, took less. All things considered for what Bogosian brings to the table, that is in the ballpark of pretty fair, in my opinion.

Marc Staal is set to be a UFA this July, and you can bet your bottom dollar if he gets to UFA multiple teams are going to be offering him 6 million. Overpaid? likely. But that's the way it is in this league. I'd say Staal is in the same ballpark and range as Bogosian. Also, both have been riddled by their own injuries. Throughout their careers Staal has accumulated 113 points in 467 games, while Bogosian has accumulated 116 in 358 games.

I realize UFA's get overpaid and July 1st is often silly season, but a top 4 defenseman who is 25 and can log 20+ minutes is well worth 4.5-5+ million and they will cash in each and every time and twice on sunday.

If Bogosian can stay healthy and be this organizations 'Adam Foote', to an extent, if you will, there is nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Just because he was in the NHL as an 18 year old doesn't mean he's done in his development.

Guess who the New York Islanders may have thought was done in his development as a 24 year old and traded away? Can't remember?

Zdeno Chara.

Not saying that Zach Bogosian is destined to become Chara I am simply saying that there is a helluva lot more development and maturity still left for Zach that will improve his game.

Chara continued to improve but that doesn't mean Zach will. The possibility of 'this is it' is just the other side of the flipped coin, so I'd say your statement makes as much 'sense' as mine does. The world is full of hockey players who never reached their potential. Career AHL'ers. That guy who was great in juniors. That first round bust. That kid who tore it up in the minors. You've thrown your hat into one possibility; I've thrown mine into the other; there are players who flourish and continue to grow after 24 and there are players who don't.

'I think this is it' is expressing an opinion, which is a bit different than the statement of 'this is it'. This is just my opinion based on what I perceive as a poor rate of growth; he's a 24 year old who still appears to play in many ways like an 18-year old to me. And his offensive numbers haven't markedly improved (19 points in 47 games as a rook, 11 pts in 55 last year).

So yeah, I think this is what we're gonna have for the rest of his term, and I've accepted it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There really hasn't been anything wrong with Bogo's play for the most part this year. I like Jet have seen subtle improvements in his game.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Has Bogo's no movement clause kicked in yet? If I'm not mistaken, it can't kick in until he reaches what would have been his free agency period, right? So that would be next season. Maybe it kicks in July 1st?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Has Bogo's no movement clause kicked in yet? If I'm not mistaken, it can't kick in until he reaches what would have been his free agency period, right? So that would be next season. Maybe it kicks in July 1st?

Correct. It comes into effect on July 1.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
We're better off keeping him at this point. His trade value isn't going to be very high, especially with his contract.

Hank you're not playing right. We trade guys here at HF when their value is low, not high. I suspect a lot also sell off their investments when they fall, rather than peak. ;)

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Zdeno Chara.

Always makes perfect sense when its time to slam Pavelec's career, just saying.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As have I. He is a big bodied 2nd pairing guy who can eat up a lot of mins. He can be put into a lot of different situations when needed. He has all the necessary skills. He may lack the high hockey IQ that separates him from the best in the game, but he will likely settle into being a very good long time pro.

Actually IMO Bogo's contract would probably be very appealing to teams. He is a 24 yo 2nd pairing guy who plays a lot of mins. There are a lot worse d-man making much more money. He is probably slightly over paid now, but as the cap rises he will probably be considered good value.

Zdeno Chara.

Bogosian would have been a UFA this summer (July 2015) given his 7 years experience when this season is completed, and I'd be willing to bet teams would drool over having him at 25 years old with a cap hit of 5,142,857. We can say "look at McDonagh's contract" but truth be told his was undervalued in my opinion the day he signed it, that's his problem and shouldn't be used as a bar in terms of comparables. Same goes for Tavares' deal. They, for whatever reason, took less. All things considered for what Bogosian brings to the table, that is in the ballpark of pretty fair, in my opinion.

Marc Staal is set to be a UFA this July, and you can bet your bottom dollar if he gets to UFA multiple teams are going to be offering him 6 million. Overpaid? likely. But that's the way it is in this league. I'd say Staal is in the same ballpark and range as Bogosian. Also, both have been riddled by their own injuries. Throughout their careers Staal has accumulated 113 points in 467 games, while Bogosian has accumulated 116 in 358 games.

I realize UFA's get overpaid and July 1st is often silly season, but a top 4 defenseman who is 25 and can log 20+ minutes is well worth 4.5-5+ million and they will cash in each and every time and twice on sunday.

If Bogosian can stay healthy and be this organizations 'Adam Foote', to an extent, if you will, there is nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

There really hasn't been anything wrong with Bogo's play for the most part this year. I like Jet have seen subtle improvements in his game.

Mostly agree with all of the above, particularly the bolded.

I think the only thing wrong with Bogo is our elevated expectations. I wish the Thrashers had taken Pietrangelo instead but they didn't and Bogo is still a very good D. If he had been signed to a shorter cheaper contract he would probably have been extended this off-season for ~6mil/yr.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
If Bogo can hang tight until Trouba's ready to take over as the undisputed number 1, I think he will still be a big plus for us long term. Set him up with a smart partner and we will have a well above average second pairing.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If Bogo can hang tight until Trouba's ready to take over as the undisputed number 1, I think he will still be a big plus for us long term. Set him up with a smart partner and we will have a well above average second pairing.

Are you saying that Bogo is our 1d? Toby is far and away our minutes leader and number 1 D. Bogo and Trouba next playing about 21 mins each.....off the top of my head.

dobiezeke*

You are correct. Bogs is what he is, and at this point we shouldn't expect him to become anything more than a 3/4 at best. His game has digressed in the past three years - and I understand injuries have played a significant part in that. He has looked average at best this year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You are correct. Bogs is what he is, and at this point we shouldn't expect him to become anything more than a 3/4 at best. His game has digressed in the past three years - and I understand injuries have played a significant part in that. He has looked average at best this year.

He's already a top pair D but we shouldn't expect him to become a more than a 3/4 at best? What?

His game has regressed? Again, what?

He plays the toughest minutes for defensemen on the team (along with Enstrom). Does he look average to you because he's not making sexy rushes? Do you think Byfuglien is a better defenseman than Bogosian because he wheels with the puck and puts up points?

Fact is, for defensemen who you know, play defense, Bogosian is second only to Tobias Enstrom on this team. He is 24 and will most likely not peak until around 30.

Lets think about that for a second, guys.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
He's already a top pair D but we shouldn't expect him to become a more than a 3/4 at best? What?

His game has regressed? Again, what?

He plays the toughest minutes for defensemen on the team (along with Enstrom). Does he look average to you because he's not making sexy rushes? Do you think Byfuglien is a better defenseman than Bogosian because he wheels with the puck and puts up points?

Fact is, for defensemen who you know, play defense, Bogosian is second only to Tobias Enstrom on this team. He is 24 and will most likely not peak until around 30.

Lets think about that for a second, guys.

Agreed Jet. Bogosian is the whipping boy for many here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad