Yzerman will surprise with trades he makes...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not really?

The lottery isn't the answer.

It's picking the right guys outside of lottery.

People are damaged by Hollands bad choices/signings. They can't grasp the fact someone else can make good trades, good signings, good draft picks.

Everyone thinks we need to pick top 3 or whatever for the next 7 years or something.

I'm not saying for sure Yzermans gonna go spend money but he's got the ability too, and I trust him so far so... Idk. I'm just excited to see what'll happen this offseason either way.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Everyone thinks we need to pick top 3 or whatever for the next 7 years or something.

It’s moreso about understanding the odds when not drafting top 3 and tempering expectations.

Some folks are holding Yzerman to a standard without trying to understand how difficult what he is trying to do is.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It’s moreso about understanding the odds when not drafting top 3 and tempering expectations.

Some folks are holding Yzerman to a standard without trying to understand how difficult what he is trying to do is.

When has Yzerman shown you personally he can't draft well outside of a top 5 pick or 3 or whatever.

Who cares about what you said too. The odds of getting a top 3 pick consistently for 7 years in a row is stupid low unless you basically purposely try to lose. Idk if thats what you are suggesting but, why would you do that with Raymond/Seider on cheap contracts for the next 3-4 years?

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When has Yzerman shown you personally he can't draft well outside of a top 5 pick or 3 or whatever.

Who cares about what you said too. The odds of getting a top 3 pick consistently for 7 years in a row is stupid low unless you basically purposely try to lose. Idk if thats what you are suggesting but, why would you do that with Raymond/Seider on cheap contracts for the next 3-4 years?

Yzerman, like everyone, has hits and misses. He has missed with top 10 picks before. He has missed with top 5 picks before. Yzerman inherited two top 3 picks in his last rebuild that he probably won’t get with this re-build.

I am not suggesting tanking for top 3 picks. I am trying to show people the difficulty in the task we are working through. That is all. Free to form your own thoughts from it. I think it might help some people frame the conversation better.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yzerman, like everyone, has hits and misses. He has missed with top 10 picks before. He has missed with top 5 picks before. Yzerman inherited two top 3 picks in his last rebuild that he probably won’t get with this re-build.

I am not suggesting tanking for top 3 picks. I am trying to show people the difficulty in the task we are working through. That is all. Free to form your own thoughts from it. I think it might help some people frame the conversation better.

Yeah, but compared to anything in the last... idk. ? 5-7 years literally... Isn't this offseason coming up filled with the most opportunity in a LONG time?

I know you aren't pointing at me necessarily but I agree with you actully, anyone suggesting this is easy... idk... you're nuts. Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won in how many years? ITt is not easy and even if you get a good team built for a while itdoesn't mean you'll win one. Like the Sharks.... or even Jets, though you didn't love that one cause of the teams failures this year but... their guys leave vs resign with them...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, but compared to anything in the last... idk. ? 5-7 years literally... Isn't this offseason coming up filled with the most opportunity in a LONG time?

I know you aren't pointing at me necessarily but I agree with you actully, anyone suggesting this is easy... idk... you're nuts. Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won in how many years? ITt is not easy and even if you get a good team built for a while itdoesn't mean you'll win one. Like the Sharks.... or even Jets, though you didn't love that one cause of the teams failures this year but... their guys leave vs resign with them...

For sure.... who do you like as options for this upcoming off-season?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Framing the discussion as being all about top 3 picks makes it feel like you're stuck in 2018 though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Framing the discussion as being all about top 3 picks makes it feel like you're stuck in 2018 though.

I was bringing it up because people need to understand how hard it is to re-build without them (they clearly don't). If they did, they would see Yzerman is doing about as good as you can hope with drafting Raymond/Seider so far.

But yet look at this thread, you have people saying the re-build is shit. Which I don't think they would be if they understood the difficulty of the task.

I guess I might not have done the best job conveying it, but this was really my point ^^^^

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I was bringing it up because people need to understand how hard it is to re-build without them (they clearly don't). If they did, they would see Yzerman is doing about as good as you can hope with drafting Raymond/Seider so far.

But yet look at this thread, you have people saying the re-build is shit. Which I don't think they would be if they understood the difficulty of the task.

I guess I might not have done the best job conveying it, but this was really my point ^^^^

I think that narrative is more a troll job then anything.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

People are frustrated because:

A. we should have started the rebuild the year after Lids retired and we didn't land Suter. (12/13)
B. we didn't actually start rebuilding until 16/17
C. Holland's drafts and trades outside of the Tatar haul were fairly subpar during his portion of the rebuild. He actually did a better job drafting during the "try to keep us in the playoffs phase."
D. we have yet to draft top 3 during our rebuild, despite finishing in that area multiple times.

Now we are here in year 3 of what really began our rebuild with Yzerman getting hired but we seemed to have been stuck in futility for basically a decade now without any top 3 picks to show for it. So I understand the frustration.

I however think Yzerman is doing a pretty great job, but not a perfect one. For drafting outside the top 3, I think he has managed to land 3 potential franchise changing talents in Seider, Ray, and Ed. That is very hard to do. I like that he is embracing the wings drafting strength which is our Euro scouts. Hopefully he can help bring out our NA scouts some as well, because we have struggled there outside of the first round or two for years. I did not like the Cossa pick and I still don't. I would have rather seen us take a center or another forward there and not trade up. Wings have had a terrrrrible track record for drafting and developing goalies. I'd rather make trades like the Ned deal to address the goalie situation. I also have liked his trades for the most part. I loved the Mantha deal, Fabbri deal, Ned deal and even the Leddy deal. We needed a vet dman and while Leddy has been somewhat disappointing I still think it was important for the overall health of the team to get another vet guy that can eat some minutes. This isn't to say Yzerman hasn't had some flubs. The Perlini deal was a total stinker, but nothing that will have a major long term impact on the team.

Holland flubbing the Zadina, Svechnikov, Ras, and Cholo picks hurt this team. I still think Zadina and Ras could become decent players, but neither are going to be top line players. We may be lucky if they are 2nd or 3rd line players long term. And to be fair on Zadina, I was thrilled with the pick when it happened. (less so on the others) That will certainly take the wind out of your rebuild. At least Bert and Hronek turned into very solid 2nd rounders. I don't include Veleno in the above since he was so late in the draft, but even he is a bit of a bummer. Again I think he has the tools to be an NHLer but I don't think he has the tools to be a 2nd line center. I just don't see the offensive game.

This is not an easy job for Yzerman at all. He did not inherit a Stamkos or Hedman type player. He got good players in Bert, Mantha, Larkin, and Hronek but none of them are franchise builders. So while I get the frustration from a fan group with very high expectations, I think Yzerman has this team basically where it should be. On the bubble, close to the playoffs needing a few key pieces still. At least I have the confidence Yzerman will try to address these items (via FA, Draft, or Trade), I didn't have that confidence with Holland. He hadn't won a trade since the Stuart deal...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

A. we should have started the rebuild the year after Lids retired and we didn't land Suter. (12/13)
C. Holland's drafts and trades outside of the Tatar haul were fairly subpar during his portion of the rebuild. He actually did a better job drafting during the "try to keep us in the playoffs phase."
D. we have yet to draft top 3 during our rebuild, despite finishing in that area multiple times.

Now we are here in year 3 of what really began our rebuild with Yzerman getting hired but we seemed to have been stuck in futility for basically a decade now without any top 3 picks to show for it. So I understand the frustration.

I however think Yzerman is doing a pretty great job, but not a perfect one. For drafting outside the top 3, I think he has managed to land 3 potential franchise changing talents in Seider, Ray, and Ed. That is very hard to do. I like that he is embracing the wings drafting strength which is our Euro scouts. Hopefully he can help bring out our NA scouts some as well, because we have struggled there outside of the first round or two for years. I did not like the Cossa pick and I still don't. I would have rather seen us take a center or another forward there and not trade up. Wings have had a terrrrrible track record for drafting and developing goalies. I'd rather make trades like the Ned deal to address the goalie situation. I also have liked his trades for the most part. I loved the Mantha deal, Fabbri deal, Ned deal and even the Leddy deal. We needed a vet dman and while Leddy has been somewhat disappointing I still think it was important for the overall health of the team to get another vet guy that can eat some minutes. This isn't to say Yzerman hasn't had some flubs. The Perlini deal was a total stinker, but nothing that will have a major long term impact on the team.

Holland flubbing the Zadina, Svechnikov, Ras, and Cholo picks hurt this team. I still think Zadina and Ras could become decent players, but neither are going to be top line players. We may be lucky if they are 2nd or 3rd line players long term. And to be fair on Zadina, I was thrilled with the pick when it happened. (less so on the others) That will certainly take the wind out of your rebuild. At least Bert and Hronek turned into very solid 2nd rounders. I don't include Veleno in the above since he was so late in the draft, but even he is a bit of a bummer. Again I think he has the tools to be an NHLer but I don't think he has the tools to be a 2nd line center. I just don't see the offensive game.

This is not an easy job for Yzerman at all. He did not inherit a Stamkos or Hedman type player. He got good players in Bert, Mantha, Larkin, and Hronek but none of them are franchise builders. So while I get the frustration from a fan group with very high expectations, I think Yzerman has this team basically where it should be. On the bubble, close to the playoffs needing a few key pieces still. At least I have the confidence Yzerman will try to address these items (via FA, Draft, or Trade), I didn't have that confidence with Holland. He hadn't won a trade since the Stuart deal...

I think a lot of these things are fair, and I can appreciate you explaining out your points like this. I can always make time for a nuanced discussion like this.

Re-building in this current landscape is hard. That applies to Holland at the end of his time here, and it applies to Yzerman now. I took the time to make a thread detailing the challenges the new lottery system posed when it was implemented, and that was before Yzerman took over.

It is stupid that we finished last (not only last but were terrible) and drafted 4th. That should have been at least one top 3 pick for us there. I can understand the frustration given where this team is.

I think the Cossa drafting and some of the trades under Yzerman are worthy of discussion and criticism so far. I can see the thought process with brining in Leddy, I can see the thought process in moving up for Cossa and Buium. But they have to materialize. We will see in time how those players develop, and if Leddy sticks around or is flipped for something of equal value.

But to me, in the grand scheme of things, hitting on your top picks is what will move the needle. So far we have done a good job with that. Another reason I re-hashed the old draft odds argument, is I think people are beginning to have some unrealistic expectations of what to expect with a 5-15 pick this year because of the last 2 drafts with Raymond and Seider. You see it in some of the 2022 draft related discussion.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Yzerman may not have inherited a Stamkos/Hedman duo but he did draft Seider who is franchise level. Raymond might also be franchise level, and Edvinsson might also be franchise level. Those are also pretty good starting pieces.

Reactions: Ricelund

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Didn't Mantha get traded within the first year of his deal?
(I don't expect him to be traded because of the injury though)

Yeah, but Steve already knew what Mantha was, and I think a deal improved his worth. Vrana has barely played for us.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think the Cossa drafting and some of the trades under Yzerman are worthy of discussion and criticism so far.
I think people are beginning to have some unrealistic expectations of what to expect with a 5-15 pick this year because of the last 2 drafts with Raymond and Seider.
Certainly if you want to criticize the Cossa pick, you can't at the same time ignore that Edvinsson looks like another homerun?

We aren't going to nail every single pick, but I don't agree with your notion that we somehow need to be wildly successful with each and every single 1st round pick to get this rebuild to pop off and become a good or even great team. The foundation for that team is already there. The hardest work is, imo, already done.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Certainly if you want to criticize the Cossa pick, you can't at the same time ignore that Edvinsson looks like another homerun?

Yeah, I pretty much said as much in the other parts of my post. Hitting on the top pick is most important to me.

We aren't going to nail every single pick, but I don't agree with your notion that we somehow need to be wildly successful with each and every single 1st round pick to get this rebuild to pop off and become a good or even great team. The foundation for that team is already there. The hardest work is, imo, already done.

I think we need another center at least as good as Larkin, if not better. I don’t know how we get that. I don’t think it’s in that list of young centers you posted the other day. We have picked up some other nice pieces.

If you think we already have the hard part done; when do you expect us to be good?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you think we already have the hard part done; when do you expect us to be good?
I think this team is borderline good this season.

The defense is still the biggest issue so any major improvement hinges on how quickly Edvinsson can be the LHD solution like Seider's been the RHD.
Next season is possible. More realistically, 2023-24.

Scoring depth is also an issue but I feel with Vrana+Berggren added and more development from Zadina/Ras/Veleno/Raymond that will be sorted pretty soon.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The defense is still the biggest issue so any major improvement hinges on how quickly Edvinsson can be the LHD solution like Seider's been the RHD.

Scoring depth is also an issue but I feel with Vrana+Berggren added and more development from Zadina/Ras/Veleno/Raymond that will be sorted pretty soon.

I don’t think we’re there yet, but otherwise I hope you’re right.

Pretty clear we’re on the rise.

A full season of Vrana next year + adding Edvinsson/Berggren to the team could be significant. Suter has gotten progressively better. Curious to see if we go after any big free agents.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I'm with you on this.

Add a real top 4 defender and a legitimate scoring threat in the top 6 aside from the top line and they are a lock for a lower playoff spot and not just a bubble team that's a hot streak away from making it or a cold streak away from being outside.

Add in a legit top 6 center and 1 or 2 3rd line wingers that can get 30 points on top of the other additions and they're a top 10 team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, but Steve already knew what Mantha was, and I think a deal improved his worth. Vrana has barely played for us.
At the same time, if he gets a ridiculous offer he's gonna take it like he did with Mantha. That's all I was getting at.

He was not actively shopping Mantha, McLellan called him.

Reactions: Oddbob

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
For sure.... who do you like as options for this upcoming off-season?

I personally like Hertl/Lindholm. Just guys I like... Money is always an issue too when talking about guys. Not like I wanna break the bank but at the same time guys do have to be paid to come here.

Wouldn't surprise me to watch a wild off-season trade with the amount of cap Yzerman has and his ability to work the lines.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

A lot of what you are saying is true, but I completely disagree with the bold, I feel this is a false narrative. The Smith trade was a steal, he was not worth a 2nd and 3rd. Sheahan was not worth a 3rd (though we flipped a 5th), Mrazek at the time was not worth two 3rd round picks, and the fact that he flipped Jensen for a 2nd was very impressive. I get the Vanek and Gus trades were not steals, but guys like that have little value come playoff time so to gain more 2nd and 3rd rounders for them was understandable. Hardly "subpar". Then when you factor in the Tatar trade, I think he did a great job trading (again, I'm specifically talking about post re-build).

There are lots of things you can blame Holland for, a lot of his draft picks post re-build are perfect examples of this. It is funny when it comes to drafting how he did better in the middle of the 1st round (ie. Mantha/Larkin) then the top 10 (ie. Zadina, Ras).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad