Yzerman will surprise with trades he makes...

Octopus

May 17, 2006
I'm thinking that trader Steve is a bit anxious given his return this trade deadline won't be much for the UFA pool he has to offer. IMO he'll be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for each of both Leddy and Namestikov. Any other player he moves won't garner anything but late round picks at best. So my guess is, not to be outdone, he will will move some players we'd rather see stay like Fabbri, Hronek or I hate to say it Bertuzzi.

This way he can get high picks and/or young players recently drafted high to continue filling the pipeline.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Why not Hronek? Addition by subtraction same as AA, Abs, Neilson. Time to move on from Holland's guys.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I suspect the rebuild goes mushy at this point. I expect a lackluster TDL because Yzerman has failed to weaponize cap space for players that good teams want. That said it seems his failure thus far will lead to another tanking. We'll see how long it takes him to figure it out.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why not Hronek? Addition by subtraction same as AA, Abs, Neilson. Time to move on from Holland's guys.

I couldn't care less if a player is "Holland's guy" or "Yzerman's guy". All I care about is that the player is productive and fits in with our team. With that logic we should also be trading Larkin and Bert.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This way he can get high picks and/or young players recently drafted high to continue filling the pipeline.
You never know with Steve but keep in mind the pipeline has been stocked in recent years. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg (Raymond/Seider).

There should be no real desperation to adding picks right now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You never know with Steve but keep in mind the pipeline has been stocked in recent years. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg (Raymond/Seider).

It's just so simple.

Why make it complicated?

A) Trade pending UFAs for picks, all who are asked. on trade deadline, their price is highest.
All are not asked for, that's for sure. (potentials: Greiss, Namestnikov, DeKeyser, Stecher, Gagner, Leddy)

B) make hockey trades with players with value. (like Mantha, de la Rose etc.) you can trade guy like Fabbri at the dealine, if the price is right.

C) sign free agents as free assets. (like formerly Staal, Namestnikov, Suter) Hampus Lindholm, Rasmus Ristolainen, this time after bigger names, in their primes.

D) draft well, with own picks + extra picks, you get from those UFAs.

Rinse and repeat.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk what people want. Guys clearing out cap. Has assets to make a major move if he wants. Assets to sell for mid-tier picks. Lots of picks to stash and develop players.

- Filip Hronek
- Filip Zadina
- Nick Leddy
- Marc Staal

Imo these are the guys that have the best chances of moving at the TDL. Idk what they'll bring in either but everyone else fits the mold of the team too well or no one will want them. Namestikov might be resigned vs traded.

Fabbri was just resigned so... Doubt he moves. Idk why everyone brings up trading Bertuzzi. Unless it's a sweat deal like Mantha's I don't see anything happening. An Mantha deals don't exactly just pop up all the time.

An, sure I suppose take on a players contract for the remainder of this year if a team needs a cap dump but I don't want anyone's trash past this year. This offseason Red Wings can do SERIOUS things and I don't wanna mess that up grabbing some teams late 2nd for a whale on our roster.

Last edited:

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I doubt he’s anxious to make a trade. What’s the one thing he’s continuously preached during his entire tenure here? Patience.

A simple trade deadline, a strong draft, some shrewd signings, and we continue to put ourselves in the best position for growth.

Reactions: Winger98 and cjm502

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Yzerman can sit back and wait for teams to come to him. He can use his cap, use the coming UFA vets on the team, or if offers are great, trade a Fabbri or Hronek. Yzerman is a smart man, if he can't win a trade, he doesn't typically make it. He has on occasion taken chances on young guys that don't work out but the assets given up aren't detrimental to the team. Have faith and relax during TDL this year.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
People still don’t seem to understand that Bertuzzi is just straight up untradeable given his vaccination status, end of story. He basically can’t go to any Canadian team, and what contender is going to give up assets on a player that wouldn’t be eligible to play in half of a playoff series against any Canadian team. Unless we’re willing to sell him for scraps, there absolutely no way he gets moved.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018

Really good point. If his stay in Tampa is indicative, then Yzerman's success will come in the draft and signing undrafted free agents--with a few key components added through trade.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021

That's funny. We are nowhere near stocked with NHL talent and really thin on high end talent. Basically empty. Berggren has potential. Maybe Edvinsson. After that there's a massive dropoff. Zero quality centers.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Really good point. If his stay in Tampa is indicative, then Yzerman's success will come in the draft and signing undrafted free agents--with a few key components added through trade.
Yzerman doesn't have any of the personnel he had in Tampa. There's no resemblance between his staff here and his staff there and even Verbeek is gone now.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Yzerman can sit back and wait for teams to come to him. He can use his cap, use the coming UFA vets on the team, or if offers are great, trade a Fabbri or Hronek. Yzerman is a smart man, if he can't win a trade, he doesn't typically make it. He has on occasion taken chances on young guys that don't work out but the assets given up aren't detrimental to the team. Have faith and relax during TDL this year.
He sure got fleeced on that Leddy trade. No more of those please.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Idk what people want. Guys clearing out cap. Has assets to make a major move if he wants. Assets to sell for mid-tier picks. Lots of picks to stash and develop players.

- Filip Hronek
- Filip Zadina
- Nick Leddy
- Marc Staal

Imo these are the guys that have the best chances of moving at the TDL. Idk what they'll bring in either but everyone else fits the mold of the team too well or no one will want them. Namestikov might be resigned vs traded.

Fabbri was just resigned so... Doubt he moves. Idk why everyone brings up trading Bertuzzi. Unless it's a sweat deal like Mantha's I don't see anything happening. An Mantha deals don't exactly just pop up all the time.

An, sure I suppose take on a players contract for the remainder of this year if a team needs a cap dump but I don't want anyone's trash past this year. This offseason Red Wings can do SERIOUS things and I don't wanna mess that up grabbing some teams late 2nd for a whale on our roster.
Yzerman gave Staal a no trade clause. Leddy is worthless. Hronek is staying and trading Zadina right now would be foolish.
People speculate on trading Bert because Yzerman didn't lock up his UFA years so Bert is going to walk at the end of his deal for a massive payday. Yzerman won't be competitive in those negotiations. I expect the team to get worse next year. The failure to find any high quality centers is likely going to lead to tanking again. Far from serious things next year this rebuild is years from completion.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yzerman isn't going to make a deal just to make a deal, but I do agree that he could surprise some people.

Probable Deals:
Leddy- Hope for 2nd but his play has dropped off here so I'd expect a 3rd.
Namestikov- Having a very solid season, fairly cheap, good vet depth. Again I'd expect a 3rd.

Maybe Deals:
Greiss- I think Stevie only makes this deal if someone is desperate for goaltending help and gives him like a 2nd. Pickard has been really solid this year so he could probably fill in at backup.
Staal- NTC but he could be pro making a run on a good team, and unlike the other Staal brothers, he does not have a cup. He's a solid vet pickup and would be a very good depth guy for a contender. His cap hit this year makes it much easier to move him with or without retention. I'd expect maybe a 4th. This one will be up to Staal most likely.

Sweetheart Trades:
Bert- Unlikely to be dealt this year due to play, vaccine status, and general team vibe. With that said, I think if Stevie could use him to bring in a high pick and a really good center prospect, I could see him making a deal. Back health, age, and a likely long term high money contract could be something Stevie does not want to tempt fate on despite Bert's very production season.
Suter/Fabbri- Neither are probably long term additions to the team. Berggy is waiting in the wings for a top 6 spot, and I think Soder won't be too far behind. Either could be dealt but I don't sense a need to do so.
Zadina- He'd have to find a guy in a similar position (young guy needing a change of address) or have a team overpay for his potential. I think he has the highest chance of being moved, but I don't think Stevie sells him at a bottom barrel price either.
Hronek- I think it would take a huge deal to get him out of Detroit. Trading him just opens up yet another hole in our top 4. I think he could potentially be a solid partner for Ed next season, and he is productive. Despite losing his 1st PP and 1st pairing minutes, he is still chugging along at a 0.5 point pace. We don't have any RD close to being able to jump into that spot, and no Lindstrom is not a top 4 dman. The only way I see him being dealt is if someone severely overpays ala a Mantha deal where we get a pretty much equivalent player and a 1st or we package him for a better player.

The only guys on the team that are off limits are Larkin, Seider, and Ray. Ned's price would also be sky high since we have no starters close to being ready in the system. Only prospects are probably Cossa and Ed. Everyone else is available for the right price, which is how it should be for a team slowly making its way out of the basement. I think playoffs are a legit possbility next year, but I could also see Sophomore slumps for key rookies and that could mean we have another bubble lottery year.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

Can someone explain to me how Hronek is no longer of value to our future and not a perfectly solid D to play behind Seider and hopefully Edvinsson? Hronek is 5th on our team in points and is only 24.

Do we have plans for our top 6 to be...

Seider / Hedman
Seider clone 2 / Hedman clone 2
Seider clone 3 / Hedman clone 3

Then we just use volunteer forwards from off the streets because we will not have enough cap.

What are the expectations around here? Who are we going to get more ideal than Hronek, at a proper cap hit considering Seider will end up making a ton, and if Edvinsson hits projections he will also make a ton.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
People still don’t seem to understand that Bertuzzi is just straight up untradeable given his vaccination status, end of story. He basically can’t go to any Canadian team, and what contender is going to give up assets on a player that wouldn’t be eligible to play in half of a playoff series against any Canadian team. Unless we’re willing to sell him for scraps, there absolutely no way he gets moved.

In the East the only teams concerned with playing a Canadian team in the playoffs is TB and Florida. In the west, it is looking like either Edmonton or Calgary could make it as the last wild card and the pleasure of running into Colorado in the first round. Bert's vax status doesn't help his trade value, but I don't think it torpedoes it. Also, I don't think it would be shocking if Bert's objections to the vaccination disappears if he gets to be in the playoffs.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I expect a slow TDL in Detroit.
I expect Yzerman to retain Staal and Namestnikov. Leddy has been horrible so maybe we can get a 4th with retained salary. Maybe.
Bert isn't going anywhere this year but probably next year.
Hronek is a valuable part of the future. Greiss is tradeable but the goalie market at the TDL is usually soft.
We just don't have any trade chips of much value.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Can someone explain to me how Hronek is no longer of value to our future and not a perfectly solid D to play behind Seider and hopefully Edvinsson? Hronek is 5th on our team in points and is only 24.

Do we have plans for our top 6 to be...

Seider / Hedman
Seider clone 2 / Hedman clone 2
Seider clone 3 / Hedman clone 3

Then we just use volunteer forwards from off the streets because we will not have enough cap.

What are the expectations around here? Who are we going to get more ideal than Hronek, at a proper cap hit considering Seider will end up making a ton, and if Edvinsson hits projections he will also make a ton.
People put a player on the hate train and as soon as that happens only see the negatives in said player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad