Salary Cap: You've never heard of the HFBoard Pens? It did the Kessel Run in 982 posts Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There's that, but Chicago was also really, really fortunate to be able to get a couple essential pieces on back diving contracts. Having players as good as Keith and Hossa at their cap hits is another huge advantage that no one else has. Arguably more important than Toews and Kane.

and decent injury luck

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
It's TIOPS, so it's probably completely fabricated, but I'd be surprised that Ebbett would want to come back. Not that he had it bad here, but at his age, this is likely his last chance at making an NHL roster before heading to Europe or whatever. You'd think he'd look at somewhere like Buffalo or Arizona. Maybe he gets a discount from Wayne Van Scoy, who knows?

Someone please photoshop Andrew Ebbett with diamond grills on Mundy Street Mundy Street ON MUNDY STREET.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's that, but Chicago was also really, really fortunate to be able to get a couple essential pieces on back diving contracts. Having players as good as Keith and Hossa at their cap hits is another huge advantage that no one else has. Arguably more important than Toews and Kane.

The cap space certainly helped, but that doesn't change the fact we never developed forward depth here.

Having Sid and Geno at their cap hits is a huge advantage for us moving forward. They'll be further and further down the list of highest paid players as the years go on. We better make good on the discounts they gave us.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
TIOPS reporting that the "off season plan" includes:

1. Being aggressive at the draft for a top 6 wing
2. Moving salary in order to have the ability to take back a 5-6mil winger

Yeah we gotta find the right wingers. I'm skeptical of Kessel and ROR. You still need good players in the bottom 6. IMO, Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist should be set. I think Perron is going to have a big semi-Neal-esque bounce back. This leaves us looking for 2 wingers for Malkin.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Not only that but having Toews and Kane at $6.3mil didn't hurt.

Toews 6.3
Kane 6.3
Hossa 5.23
Keith 5.3
Seabrook 5.8

Those are all major discounts relative to their performance and current costs.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah we gotta find the right wingers. I'm skeptical of Kessel and ROR. You still need good players in the bottom 6. IMO, Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist should be set. I think Perron is going to have a big semi-Neal-esque bounce back. This leaves us looking for 2 wingers for Malkin.

Having Kessel or ROR wouldn't prevent the Penguins from running one of their better 3rd-lines in years (low bar, perhaps). It might force an incredibly-cheap 4th line, but they need to try some AHL guys there either way.

Look at the team:

Sid - long term
Malkin - long term
Fleury - long enough term
Letang - long term
Perron - 1 year
Hornqvist - long enough term
Maatta - 1 year, RFA

who is left that you are concerned about spending money on? The Pens don't have any disasters or even big, important decisions looming.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I think Keith is undoubtedly the most important part of their team. Not many players can play half of every game and only get better. They're so lucky that they were able to sign him to a circumventing deal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Yeah Kessel ain't happening. It's fun off season, pre draft discussion topic because we are all bored...but in reality, it just doesn't make sense.

I fear them getting one winger for Malkin and slotting in Comeau on the other side...it's not going to fix anything. If they make a trade and sign Plotnikov, that would be ideal. Wonder if we can swing Oshie somehow...Oshie-Malkin-Plotnikov would be fun to watch.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012

Kessel with either Crosby or Malkin is an 80 point player. That's not easy to find.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Let's trade for Brian Boyle. Let him complete the Marian Hossa hat trick, and bam, we win the Cup!!!

Guiness-Brilliant-1.jpg

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Genuinely don't understand the Ebbett hate. I don't really like the idea of him being an NHL fixture but he's been a fine call up option the past couple seasons.

Yeah, generally I can't stand players like him, but he does fine in the AHL, isn't blocking anyone internal, and does a credible job as an injury fill-in.

I mean, he's an evolutionary dead end, but there are worse players like that who aren't even on his level who don't take the same heat.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Yeah, generally I can't stand players like him, but he does fine in the AHL, isn't blocking anyone internal, and does a credible job as an injury fill-in.

I mean, he's an evolutionary dead end, but there are worse players like that who aren't even on his level who don't take the same heat.

He is what Scuderi and Adams should have been the past few seasons, mentor and cheap but effect play.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kessel with either Crosby or Malkin is an 80 point player. That's not easy to find.

TBH, don't care. Don't want Kessel for the price it will take to get him and then taking on his $8mil/yr contract.

Would rather 2 $4mil guys to fill the two holes in the top 6.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

See, while you are right...I would rather see Dea, Blueger, Achibald...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'm terrified of what this team is going to look like come training camp.

What a ****ing waste these last six years have been. If I were Sid and Geno, I'd be watching the 'Hawks raise another Cup and honestly begging for a trade to get out of this **** hole situation. Just tragic how those two have been done wrong year after year.

I hate everything about the organization now. I can't help it. Between ownership, their PR obsession, bad management, amateur coaching right on down to the apologists who write about them and pass themselves off as objective journalists, they can all go **** themselves.

On a side note, amazing how the 'Hawks played with FOUR D men for two playoff rounds, but poor Ben Lovejoy was exhausted playing a few extra minutes a night for about 10 days.

Yo Pens, eat ****.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Problem is, I don't think 4 mil fills a legit top 6 hole nowadays. It's more like 5-6 on the average.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I would probably do Kapanen, one of Dumolin/Harrington and one of Murray/Jarry and Scuderi and 2015 2nd and 5th for Kessel and 2016 2nd. I would throw in Bennett too if necessary. I don't know if the leafs do that, but I also don't know if they are going to get any better offers from any of the other teams on his list. Kessel's contract has risks, but if the Pens are in win now mode for the next 5 years then I think any prospect not named Maatta and Pouliot should be considered.

Last edited:

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
TBH, don't care. Don't want Kessel for the price it will take to get him and then taking on his $8mil/yr contract.

Would rather 2 $4mil guys to fill the two holes in the top 6.

And what two guys do you want that'll work and produce within the pens top 6?
And what do you suggest the pens give up?

ObsessedCreative*

I'm terrified of what this team is going to look like come training camp.

What a ****ing waste these last six years have been. If I were Sid and Geno, I'd be watching the 'Hawks raise another Cup and honestly begging for a trade to get out of this **** hole situation. Just tragic how those two have been done wrong year after year.

I hate everything about the organization now. I can't help it. Between ownership, their PR obsession, bad management, amateur coaching right on down to the apologists who write about them and pass themselves off as objective journalists, they can all go **** themselves.

On a side note, amazing how the 'Hawks played with FOUR D men for two playoff rounds, but poor Ben Lovejoy was exhausted playing a few extra minutes a night for about 10 days.

Yo Pens, eat ****.

Welcome to finally seeing the light! ;)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think Keith is undoubtedly the most important part of their team. Not many players can play half of every game and only get better. They're so lucky that they were able to sign him to a circumventing deal.

Having one of the best dmen in the world making similar money to Jeffy Petry/Matt Niskanen/Brooks Orpik is pretty damn great for building a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad