Salary Cap: You've never heard of the HFBoard Pens? It did the Kessel Run in 982 posts Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Last time I checked, our current GM was the one that traded a ton of assets for Staal and then signed Staal to the 10 year, $60M deal.. and he also signed Alexander Semin to a 5 year, $35M deal.

NOTHING is off the table if you ask me.

JR has to overpay for players when he was Canes GM or who will play there?

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
Yeah the Richards thing is a good thought, but the guy is really really bad these days. Guy has made $70M+ playing hockey and has a lot of mileage on that body.

The motivation just isn't there.. you can't fix that type of problem. Richards would rather party (and not workout) than actually work on his craft. He's won a cup and has made an insane amount of money. I can understand why he is content to rest on his laurels.

I don't see him being that bad of an option. If it's a one year deal. Or at least until you see what you have in Sudqvist.
Realistically, if he can win draws and play a physical shut down role then maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea. If he can put up 30 points then all the better.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Jim_Rutherford/235
My real question is who looked ate this and said my god there he is thats the guy that's gonna get this team back on top.
On the extremely rare occasion he made a good deal he turns around a year or 2 later and trades that guy. I've looked at this list so many times I lost count. It's like keep opening an empty fridge and hoping something appears.....nothing ever appears.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
So it looks like the defense is more likely:
Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Scuderi-Cole
Dumoulin

The only way the Pens trade Scuderi is if they eat significant salary and/or overpay someone to take him even in a package. Consider Rutherford's Winnik trade as why this isn't a good plan.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
So if Reilly signs a 3 year deal with Hawks, does he get more stanley cups then Crosby before his next contract?

You will know for sure in less than 3 week's. By then you should probably see the assets chi receives from sharp bickell etc and what direction this teams going in. I got a bad feeling it's going to be south for us.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Let's trade for Brian Boyle. Let him complete the Marian Hossa hat trick, and bam, we win the Cup!!!

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
I'm guessing next season that Chicago's cap is $100 million and everyone else gotta operate at $71 million.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
Seeing the Hawks win this makes me want Kessel even more.
I'll take Sid and Malkin any day but is about time they get surrounded by some legitimate talent.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Yup. Hopefully this lights a fire under the FO's *****. This is shameful.

Agreed nothing against Chicago, what they've done is remarkable and I'm quite envious. This should make the whole pens organization embarrassed. Just disgusting how bad they've botched this.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Seeing the Hawks win this makes me want Kessel even more.
I'll take Sid and Malkin any day but is about time they get surrounded by some legitimate talent.

And if not Kessel at least a legitimatelegitimate first line winger. Wouldn't be upset if it's radulov

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yup. Hopefully this lights a fire under the FO's *****. This is shameful.

What makes it even more remarkable is after the first Cup, they were in cap hell and had to jettison many of their Cup contributors. And they reassembled and won two more. While we bungled it, and never even got back to the Finals.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
I hope our ownership is as fired up as I am after seeing Chicago win their third Cup. We still have the best core in hockey but Championship teams are made from the owners on down.

I play hockey still for a living and I'm fired up.
Alright. It's about time that the Pens sort themselves out.
For fun here, but something that would definitely be CUP competitive.

PERRON-CROSBY-HORNQVIST
RYCHEL-MALKIN-KESSEL
DUPUIS-FHER-BENNETT
WBS WINNER-SUDQVIST-COMEAU

MAATTA-LETANG
POULIOT-COLE
DUMOULIN-LOVEJOY
ANDERSEN

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
What makes it even more remarkable is after the first Cup, they were in cap hell and had to jettison many of their Cup contributors. And they reassembled and won two more. While we bungled it, and never even got back to the Finals.

The Hawks need to erect statues of Stan and Scotty Bowman. Sure, the players are great, but it's these two who have won them their cups.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

They were able to replace their entire bottom six in house. We couldn't develop a friggin' 4th liner who stuck around.

If DP and Maatta are studs for us longterm, Ray deserves alot of credit for whatever success we have in the future. But the statement above is just damning. It's the main reason why we never were close to a Finals appearance after 09.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
TIOPS reporting that the "off season plan" includes:

1. Being aggressive at the draft for a top 6 wing
2. Moving salary in order to have the ability to take back a 5-6mil winger
3. Filling out 3rd/4th line with resignings like Comeau, Winnik, Ebbett :( , and Farnham
4. Martin and Ehrhoff are not coming back, Sekera and Franson are potential targets

1. Duh. Good.
2. Good. Not the $8mil needed for Kesseler or whoever. Good.
3. :( Ebbett...ugh...this better not bump out Sundqvist and Kapanen...
4. Nothing new. If either Sekera or Franson are signed, Scuds HAS to be moved and I wouldn't rule out having Lovejoy traded away or being #7.

Letang-Maatta
Sekera-Pouliot
Dumo/Harry-Cole

Lovejoy in there bumps out a young guy...complete opposite of everything we hear they want to do.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
The Hawks need to erect statues of Stan and Scotty Bowman. Sure, the players are great, but it's these two who have won them their cups.

Don't forget Dalle Tallon, he built the first one. Put them in cap hell, but he gets credit too. But for sure, the Bowman's get a ton of credit.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

3. Filling out 3rd/4th line with resignings like Comeau, Winnik, Ebbett :( , and Farnham
4. Martin and Ehrhoff are not coming back, Sekera and Franson are potential targets

1. Duh. Good.
4. Nothing new. If either Sekera or Franson are signed, Scuds HAS to be moved and I wouldn't rule out having Lovejoy traded away or being #7.

Letang-Maatta
Sekera-Pouliot
Dumo/Harry-Cole

Lovejoy in there bumps out a young guy...complete opposite of everything we hear they want to do.

Genuinely don't understand the Ebbett hate. I don't really like the idea of him being an NHL fixture but he's been a fine call up option the past couple seasons.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012

1. Duh. Good.

Letang-Maatta
Sekera-Pouliot
Dumo/Harry-Cole

Winnik Back wouldn't be the worst thing.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
They were able to replace their entire bottom six in house. We couldn't develop a friggin' 4th liner who stuck around.

If DP and Maatta are studs for us longterm, Ray deserves alot of credit for whatever success we have in the future. But the statement above is just damning. It's the main reason why we never were close to a Finals appearance after 09.

There's that, but Chicago was also really, really fortunate to be able to get a couple essential pieces on back diving contracts. Having players as good as Keith and Hossa at their cap hits is another huge advantage that no one else has. Arguably more important than Toews and Kane.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's TIOPS, so it's probably completely fabricated, but I'd be surprised that Ebbett would want to come back. Not that he had it bad here, but at his age, this is likely his last chance at making an NHL roster before heading to Europe or whatever. You'd think he'd look at somewhere like Buffalo or Arizona. Maybe he gets a discount from Wayne Van Scoy, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad