Salary Cap: You've never heard of the HFBoard Pens? It did the Kessel Run in 982 posts Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Having one of the best dmen in the world making similar money to Jeffy Petry/Matt Niskanen/Brooks Orpik is pretty damn great for building a team.

Keith is what Penguins media and fans THINK Letang is.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
For a proven goal scorer 8 million isn't all that far off. You arnt going to find any combination via FA that matches what a player like Kessel brings to the table and acquiring one or even an upgrade via trade on a cheaper contact is going to cost Maatta or Pouliot, teams arnt looking to move those type of players.
And unless you get real lucky at the draft or a high pick you're looking at 2 plus years for development.
If the Pens are in win now, and in need of goal scoring....

Last edited:

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
TBH, don't care. Don't want Kessel for the price it will take to get him and then taking on his $8mil/yr contract.

Would rather 2 $4mil guys to fill the two holes in the top 6.

Yes I've stated I want kessel in a bad way. Mostly, selfishly cause I want to see an elite winger on this team. I'll be happy with legitimate upgrades regardless who they are. However the Ufa pool is pathetic. I just can't get excited for drew Stafford and jiri tlusty whoever. And any combo of the 2 scraps we grab in fa probably going to cost more than 8mil total. I'd much rather spend that on bonafide talent. Maybe we can package Sutter and something for something decent that's the only other hope because there's just 0 doubt in my mind the money that's spent in fa this year we are going to be talking about in 2 year's maybe sooner my god why did we give that money to player x.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
This is the window to grab up Kessel if you can. If you can't then scrap the crap/expensive pieces on the roster. At best get a Palmieri or Etem. At worst get a couple 2nds and B/C level prospects. Sign 2/3 good youngish FA complimentary pieces and away we go(Stafford/Frolik/Fehr/Comeau). Last resort sign MSL to a 1yr deal.

If Kessel isn't moved right now, you've gotta move on quickly and doing the above improves your chances winning next year while keeping all your assets essentially.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
He's been told he was small for his whole career but look at what he achieved.

He had 7 points in 18 games in the play-offs. He should have scored more but I wouldn't say that is awful.

For a one year stop gap he would be fine. Would also be good to coach young players as well.

Personally don't like MSL , but would sign him to a 1 year $3M deal max, He is a good stop gap for Kapanen , and would make the PP a lot better ,
PP
Hornqvist-Crosby-MSL
Letang-Geno

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
With the buzzer sounding to end the Finals tonight, the clock starts on one of the most crucial off-seasons in team history. Either we do things right, difficult as they may be, and set ourselves up for success in the near future... Or we do what I expect us to do; take the easy way out, float excuses to the media, and fully accept mediocrity and failure for the rest of Sid and Geno's primes.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
One thing I love about msl and it's something geno has never had a winger do for him. He sees the game so well he lays terrific passes into open space so his linemates can grab them with speed. That would be something I wouldn't mind seeing geno benefit from. I think even at this stage of his career we could do worse if he would come relatively cheap.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And what two guys do you want that'll work and produce within the pens top 6?
And what do you suggest the pens give up?

I've stated my thoughts countless times. Look them up. Hint, one of them is Plotnikov. Free top 6 talent for Geno.

Pretty much. I like Letang, and think he's a phenomenal talent, but he doesn't hold a candle to guys like Keith or Weber.

In terms of skating ability and mobility, I'd put Letang up against anyone. Defensively, you are correct.

For a proven goal scorer 8 million isn't all that far off. You arnt going to find any combination via FA that matches what a player like Kessel brings to the table and acquiring one or even an upgrade via trade on a cheaper contact is going to cost Maatta or Pouliot, teams arnt looking to move those type of players.
And unless you get real lucky at the draft or a high pick you're looking at 2 plus years for development.
If the Pens are in win now, and in need of goal scoring....

That is what has gotten us to this point. Making a trade like Kapanen+1st++ is EXACTLY how we've gotten to where we are at now. No. Not again. I'm sick of it. If we can do it for Sutter+Bennett, sure why not. Pouliot, Maatta, Kapanen, Sundqvist, 2016 1st...all off the table.

This is the window to grab up Kessel if you can. If you can't then scrap the crap/expensive pieces on the roster. At best get a Palmieri or Etem. At worst get a couple 2nds and B/C level prospects. Sign 2/3 good youngish FA complimentary pieces and away we go(Stafford/Frolik/Fehr/Comeau). Last resort sign MSL to a 1yr deal.

If Kessel isn't moved right now, you've gotta move on quickly and doing the above improves your chances winning next year while keeping all your assets essentially.

And that's the thing, if you acquire Kessel, you're giving up for important assets. Giving up important assets is how we've got to where we are at now. Not to mention the $8mil will eat up what little precious cap space we have and completely eliminate any possibility of having depth. Takes depth to win. Toews, Kane, Hossa didn't exactly light it up in the Finals...depth did. If we roll Sid, Geno, Kessel and they don't score, we will be relying on the Comeaus, Dupuis, and Bennetts of the team to do it. And it hasn't worked. Even when Neal was here...he was an elite wing for us...and due to a embarrassing lack of depth, when they didn't score, the team didn't score. Adding Kessel doesn't magically relieve us of that very issue that has plagued us for years. All it means is that you have a $8mil player taking up a lot of cap space.

Couple that with what it will take to get him...no. No, no, no. I know everyone here thinks its a great idea...but I can all but promise you that the meetings taking place in Penguin-Land do NOT include the words "Kapanen+ for Kessel".

Kessel talk = pillow talk. That's it. Nothing more.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
Pretty much. I like Letang, and think he's a phenomenal talent, but he doesn't hold a candle to guys like Keith or Weber.

But everyone here thinks he does and then says, "We just haven't found him the right partner..."

For 7.5 MILLION A YEAR, he should not need the perfect partner.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
And that's the thing, if you acquire Kessel, you're giving up for important assets. Giving up important assets is how we've got to where we are at now. Not to mention the $8mil will eat up what little precious cap space we have and completely eliminate any possibility of having depth. Takes depth to win. Toews, Kane, Hossa didn't exactly light it up in the Finals...depth did. If we roll Sid, Geno, Kessel and they don't score, we will be relying on the Comeaus, Dupuis, and Bennetts of the team to do it. And it hasn't worked. Even when Neal was here...he was an elite wing for us...and due to a embarrassing lack of depth, when they didn't score, the team didn't score. Adding Kessel doesn't magically relieve us of that very issue that has plagued us for years. All it means is that you have a $8mil player taking up a lot of cap space.

Couple that with what it will take to get him...no. No, no, no. I know everyone here thinks its a great idea...but I can all but promise you that the meetings taking place in Penguin-Land do NOT include the words "Kapanen+ for Kessel".

The Pens' problem has been dealing assets for scraps or rentals. Kessel wouldn't be that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I still think there are better options than Kessel. His contract is just a killer for me. I think he's a great player, but man... Committing to a guy at $8M/yr for that long is just terrifying.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Am I the only one who would do Kunitz for Richards(2M retained) + conditional 3rd pick (Pittsburgh gets a 4th if Richards gets more than 30 points)?

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
I'd make letang watch Keith video til he was blue in the face. Letang does have all the god given ability Keith does. But he lacks keiths brain and frankly he's got 2 much machismo. Watch Keith he uses his superior mobility to avoid hits letang takes them on. Especially unnecessary ones. You ever see see any of letangs training videos?he's cockstrong for his size. Because he's so strong he's under this impression that he can hang in there with guys 30 40 pounds heavier. Where Keith side steps them let's them eat some glass.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
With the buzzer sounding to end the Finals tonight, the clock starts on one of the most crucial off-seasons in team history. Either we do things right, difficult as they may be, and set ourselves up for success in the near future... Or we do what I expect us to do; take the easy way out, float excuses to the media, and fully accept mediocrity and failure for the rest of Sid and Geno's primes.

With JR running the show and the word is he's going to be "aggressive" just buy some beer and lube because it's going to be a **** show.

It's pretty bad when we have 5+ GM/AGM's and they are all crap. Basically, we make horrible trades for "GRIT" and then 6 months later, we do a 180 and now go for 4 scoring lines and skill? So all those picks are wasted and we don't want to sign them because we are going in a different direction? (After 6 months mind you...)

And somehow we can afford another 8m dollar a year player...

I predict many WTF threads on this board and MJ being fired by mid-year with JR to follow soon after.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Jesusssssssssssssssssschristtttttttttttt this is a BEYONDDDDDDDD moronic idea... Yeah let's get a player who's even WORSE than Kunitz and singed for about 7 years longer :shakehead

To me Richards is still a great player, he's just lacking any kind of motivation. If this deal were to happen, we would move Sutter for a winger, and roll Crosby-Malkin-Richards as our top 3 centers.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'd make letang watch Keith video til he was blue in the face. Letang does have all the god given ability Keith does. But he lacks keiths brain and frankly he's got 2 much machismo. Watch Keith he uses his superior mobility to avoid hits letang takes them on. Especially unnecessary ones. You ever see see any of letangs training videos?he's cockstrong for his size. Because he's so strong he's under this impression that he can hang in there with guys 30 40 pounds heavier. Where Keith side steps them let's them eat some glass.

My thoughts exactly. At the pace he's on he'll be retiring early.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
That is what has gotten us to this point. Making a trade like Kapanen+1st++ is EXACTLY how we've gotten to where we are at now. No. Not again. I'm sick of it. If we can do it for Sutter+Bennett, sure why not. Pouliot, Maatta, Kapanen, Sundqvist, 2016 1st...all off the table.

Kessel talk = pillow talk. That's it. Nothing more.

Uh, no. Kessel's locked up for the next seven years; in no way would trading for him be comparable to trading for rentals or 1 year deals.

Also, Kessel is a true elite winger. On the Pens, he would be guaranteed 70-80 pts per year. Just look at what he's managed on a ****** Leafs team with Bozie as his centre (hint: 0.88 PPG). Also, he hasn't missed a single game in his last five seasons. That kind or durability would be incredible to have on the Pens.

There's no way that any combination of available players you could scrape up for 8 mill would make more of an impact than Kessel.

For this kind of talent? I'd give away KK/Sundqvist, Harry/Dumo, Jarry, and lottery tickets with a smile on my face and joy in my heart.

Edit: And yes, depth is important. But it's basically impossible for us to have a strong, competitive bottom 6 at this point. Shero ****ed us good. Any effort to make the bottom 6 strong would come at the expense of our top 6, and we'd be left with 4 unbalanced, sort of "meh" lines. What we can do is strengthen our top 6 and put together a bottom 6 that won't be a liability and will score some points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad