You're The Coach: What Changes Do you Make For Game 6?

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Reinhart and Kennedy should be in the press box until the season is over and never wear orange and blue again. One should be traded before the rest of the NHL realizes he is a bust the other let go as a UFA

I would play Donovan and Pulock on D, bring Nelson back for Kennedy and Boulton in for Nielsen

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Reinhart and Kennedy should be in the press box until the season is over and never wear orange and blue again. One should be traded before the rest of the NHL realizes he is a bust the other let go as a UFA

I would play Donovan and Pulock on D, bring Nelson back for Kennedy and Boulton in for Nielsen

A 21 year old in his first pro season with 9 NHL games under his belt is a bust? :help:

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
A 21 year old in his first pro season with 9 NHL games under his belt is a bust? :help:

The guy can not skate, unless he learns how to skate he is a poor mans Strait.

Skating can be learned but at 21 you expect more than junior level skating ability. It's not too late for him to improve obviously but he needs a ton of work to be a bottom pairing dman right now

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Skating can be learned but at 21 you expect more than junior level skating ability. It's not too late for him to improve obviously but he needs a ton of work to be a bottom pairing dman right now

When I think of somebody having a flaw that can be bust potential I think hockey IQ, afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Skating? This could certainly RUIN Reinhart but it can be fixed. Look at John Tavares. Had everything but the skating. Throwing Reinhart in right away is not fair to him and when Pulock looks uneasy tomorrow it won't be fair to him either.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

This isn't football. Players don't come right into the league and make immediate impacts. You've been watching hockey long enough to know this.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ

It's not so much his skating ability, it's more about his speed. He's a very slow skater and his reaction time is slow too. The game just blows by him. I noticed this earlier in the season when he first came up, and I mentioned it to a buddy of mine.

I hate to have the Isles give up on him at 21, but I have some deep concerns about him.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It's not so much his skating ability, it's more about his speed. He's a very slow skater and his reaction time is slow too. The game just blows by him. I noticed this earlier in the season when he first came up, and I mentioned it to a buddy of mine.

I hate to have the Isles give up on him at 21, but I have some deep concerns about him.

Or it could mean he just needs more time developing.

Him and the other two.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
If Reinhart was drafted n the 4th round rather than 4th overall would people be saying the same thing?

So what are Pelech abd Mayfield busts as well? Since you know they arent even good to dress for a game yet?

Unbelievable how negative you are towards Reinhart. He is a top prospect, and still a KID. Let the KID develop, stop crying because he didnt succeed in one playoff game.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
So what are Pelech abd Mayfield busts as well? Since you know they arent even good to dress for a game yet?

Unbelievable how negative you are towards Reinhart. He is a top prospect, and still a KID. Let the KID develop, stop crying because he didnt succeed in one playoff game.

Donovan should have dressed over any of the rookies, that was poor coaching by simple Jack. If Reinhart was drafted in the 4th round I bet simple Jack wouldn't have dressed him. Capuano is an idiot .

Reinhart needs skating lessons all summer and needs to hit the gym hard if he wants to be something in the NHL. One play that stood out was OV skating with the puck while simultaneously pushing Reinhart down with a one arm push.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Donovan should have dressed over any of the rookies, that was poor coaching by simple Jack. If Reinhart was drafted in the 4th round I bet simple Jack wouldn't have dressed him. Capuano is an idiot .

Reinhart needs skating lessons all summer and needs to hit the gym hard if he wants to be something in the NHL. One play that stood out was OV skating with the puck while simultaneously pushing Reinhart down with a one arm push.

Im shocked a rookie defenseman got dominated by the best goal scorer of the generation.
I agree caps is an idiot, but Reinhart will be fine give him some time.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

That's the problem. The kid looks just as slow weak and tentative as he did as a 19 year old. Oh and yes I have watched him play at the junior level and for team Canada.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Here's my f---- it lineup:

Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Donovan
Strait/Reinhart-Pulock

Bailey-JT-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-Strome
Kulemin-Nielsen-Grabovski
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If Reinhart was drafted n the 4th round rather than 4th overall would people be saying the same thing?

I can only speak for myself. The kid was cash in the playoffs, is bigger than snot, and can crush people if he wants to. I don't care where that is drafted. You develop it, and defensemen can take a while. If you think he is a bust you can think that, but I disagree Based on many who took a while to make it.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I can only speak for myself. The kid was cash in the playoffs, is bigger than snot, and can crush people if he wants to. I don't care where that is drafted. You develop it, and defensemen can take a while. If you think he is a bust you can think that, but I disagree Based on many who took a while to make it.

It is great for guys like Trouba that came in right away and did great. It is great for a guy like Hamonic that did the same exact thing BUT Reinhart needs some more time. He is the type of guy that you WANT in the playoffs. Boychuk is the type of guy you WANT in the playoffs. Leddy same thing... Pulock? To be determined but signs point towards another yes.

This team is developing something very special on the backend. It is just whether or not Snow wants to wait for these guys to develop into what they become. Big Griff has a good head on his shoulders by all accounts. He knows what he is doing wrong and hopefully we get a nice coach who can help him out instead of just throwing the kid in there.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Also I know we got Boychuk to solidify our blue line NOW but he's going to provide support for the next group to get them on his level. We're not in 2011 anymore.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
The time to coach is over, there is nothing left to figure out at this point. This series is exactly what it was going to always be... and unstoppable force vs an immovable object. The Isles have been ham-stringed with injuries... nothing you can do about it now.
There is a reason we havent seen alot of back-and-forth play from these teams, and it always seems that one team is dominating the other. It is an unstoppable force vs an immovable object. There can be no in between.

When they get pucks in deep and they grind us, we tire, and slow, and lose. When we cycle circles around them, they chase, they tire, give up chances, and lose. Thats it, there is no in between, and there never has been in this series. One team is always imposing their will on the other. The Caps cant play our game, and the Isles cant play their game.

The best way to play a game when you have no defense left, is to not play defense. You put the best defense that we have, that will help us get the puck out of our zone swiftly and cleanly, so we can get back on offense as efficiently as possible. You dont put out a defense based on how well then can take/give a hit, put a defense out there that doesnt stay their long enough to get hit. Put a defense out there that will help you keep the puck in the offensive zone as long as possible.

Most people in here are concerned with how our defense will fair, the concern is on the forwards. In this game we need to be on offense all game long. As the series grows longer, stints spent in your defensive zone get harder and harder to break, weakening the strength needed to spend time running in the offensive zone. There needs to be one zone in THIS game for THIS team to succeed.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The time to coach is over, there is nothing left to figure out at this point. This series is exactly what it was going to always be... and unstoppable force vs an immovable object. The Isles have been ham-stringed with injuries... nothing you can do about it now.
There is a reason we havent seen alot of back-and-forth play from these teams, and it always seems that one team is dominating the other. It is an unstoppable force vs an immovable object. There can be no in between.

When they get pucks in deep and they grind us, we tire, and slow, and lose. When we cycle circles around them, they chase, they tire, give up chances, and lose. Thats it, there is no in between, and there never has been in this series. One team is always imposing their will on the other. The Caps cant play our game, and the Isles cant play their game.

The best way to play a game when you have no defense left, is to not play defense. You put the best defense that we have, that will help us get the puck out of our zone swiftly and cleanly, so we can get back on offense as efficiently as possible. You dont put out a defense based on how well then can take/give a hit, put a defense out there that doesnt stay their long enough to get hit. Put a defense out there that will help you keep the puck in the offensive zone as long as possible.

Most people in here are concerned with how our defense will fair, the concern is on the forwards. In this game we need to be on offense all game long. As the series grows longer, stints spent in your defensive zone get harder and harder to break, weakening the strength needed to spend time running in the offensive zone. There needs to be one zone in THIS game for THIS team to succeed.

I'm going to share this with Charles Wang. He will order Cappy and Garth to ice 18 forwards

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Bailey/tavares/okposo
Lee/nelson/strome
Kulemin/grabovski/grabner
Martin/czikis/clutterbuck

I sit nielson or if grabner cant go, sit him and franz centers that line. I play donovan and pulock. Sit griff.

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
86-91-21
27-29-18
12-51-84
17-53-15

2-55
14-37
7 (Carkner)-46 :help:

and let the chips fall where they may

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It is great for guys like Trouba that came in right away and did great. It is great for a guy like Hamonic that did the same exact thing BUT Reinhart needs some more time. He is the type of guy that you WANT in the playoffs. Boychuk is the type of guy you WANT in the playoffs. Leddy same thing... Pulock? To be determined but signs point towards another yes.

This team is developing something very special on the backend. It is just whether or not Snow wants to wait for these guys to develop into what they become. Big Griff has a good head on his shoulders by all accounts. He knows what he is doing wrong and hopefully we get a nice coach who can help him out instead of just throwing the kid in there.

Most of us hacks understand defensemen tend to take longer to develop and can look like piss in the process.
The guys in the prospect thread who have been OCD on prospects and development for years pretty much feel the same way.
Every GM and scout I read says the same thing.
Every Coach.
Every ex-player analyst.
Everyone.

I think the other folk know it too. More than likely they are pissed about what became of our season should the Islanders lose this series in part because a lack of defensive depth got turned against us.

I believe Reinhart will change their tune eventually.

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
There's really nothing any new adjustments can do now, in my opinion. I hate using injuries as an excuse, but we all know they are crippling.

All I do is hope Halak can steal a game, and Tavares can have one of those great career games we'll always remember. (and for one of them to happen in game 6, and the other in game 7)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad