You're The Coach: What Changes Do you Make For Game 6?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The Capitals broke through the one goal detente that had been established, thanks in part to a depleted blueline, a neutered power play, and a lack of physical play from our top 9. So if you were the coach, what big move or moves do you make to try and right the ship?

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
sorry, sorry... i know this wasn't very productive.

p.s. when is the trade deadline?

sorry again. i... just.... don't know.

bring up Carkner? what's Martinek up to?

look into :golfnana: lessons?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The Capitals broke through the one goal detente that had been established, thanks in part to a depleted blueline, a neutered power play, and a lack of physical play from our top 9. So if you were the coach, what big move or moves do you make to try and right the ship?

I have no idea at this point. Maybe dress Boulton and call up Gallant and Halmo and just hit everything that moves. :dunno:

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

it really doesn't matter. Our D has been decimated and we are going to lose. If we goin it up we will get taken to the woodshed by the NHL. Id like to just forfeit.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Offense should look like this:

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Strome-Nelson
Kulemin-Nielsen-Grabovski
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Hopefully Boychuk can play 30:00 minutes out there with Ovechkin.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Welp, If in practice today, Griff still looks like he has not adjusted to the speed then The may have to let Donovan play (it kills me to say that!). At least he has NHL Experience. I'm not against giving Pulock a Chance though. Our guys look outta gas.
See how tired Halak is, may have to start Neuvirth if Jaro is burnt out.
They need more than a spark...

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Offense should look like this:

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Strome-Nelson
Kulemin-Nielsen-Grabovski

Hopefully Boychuk can play 30:00 minutes out there with Ovechkin.

I'm really down on Lee this series. Not doing the things he did during season to be successful - driving to net, planting himself in front of net. Hesitating in play in neutral zone and generally looking lost.

Not thrilled with Grabner either but if you are not going to beat this team with physical play, you have to try afterburner speed. Sit Kennedy too and put in Cmac.

Frankly, Frans has been pretty horrible too. If we had an option there I'd make change maybe what I have below. I think Frans is hurt and playing like it. Not helping us.

I also said in another post I'd move some parts on the fourth line and get JT and other secondary some room up front.

Martin - JT - KO
Kulemin - Strome - Clutterbuck
Bailey - Cizikas - Grabner
CMac - Grabo - Nelson

Assuming deHaan is out:
Boychuk - Pulok (nowhere to hide him - might as well protect him - double barrel shotguns might give them a little room)
Donovan - Leddy
Hickey - Reinhart (or Mayfield?)

Last edited:

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
There's not much any coach can do now that we're down Hamonic, Vis, and DeHaan. You swap Nelson for Kennedy and then you plug in your best defensive prospect. You tell them to win one for the gipper, and then you let them play.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Pulock in for reinhart
Carkner in if de haan can't go. I know he's not very good but give him limited minutes and have him be very physical in front of themail net.

Sit Nelson and Lee down in my office and ask them where their balls went because they are playing scared.

Play leddy and boychuk 35 minutes

Stick jt and Okposo in a cage until they become ravenous and crazed then unleash them on the caps

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Anyone asking for Carkner at this point is silly. The Islanders need production, puck movement and mobility from the back line. These games have been fast and physical, not slow and physical. Carkner who hasn't played a meaningful NHL game in over a year is not the answer.

Secondly, I put Matt Donovan in. The few spot starts he got this year were good and frankly he might not be on the team next year. His mobility and possession numbers are great and he should have the freshest legs with the most amount of experience given he has practiced all year with this team.

You have to keep Boychuk-Leddy pair intact because it is the only familiar pair with chemistry and ability to play more than 25 minutes.

I bring in Nelson for Kennedy and re-arrange the lines one last time

12-91-21
86-51-84
27-29-18
17-53-15

2-55
37-14
46-6

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Anyone asking for Carkner at this point is silly. The Islanders need production, puck movement and mobility from the back line. These games have been fast and physical, not slow and physical. Carkner who hasn't played a meaningful NHL game in over a year is not the answer.

Secondly, I put Matt Donovan in. The few spot starts he got this year were good and frankly he might not be on the team next year. His mobility and possession numbers are great and he should have the freshest legs with the most amount of experience given he has practiced all year with this team.

You have to keep Boychuk-Leddy pair intact because it is the only familiar pair with chemistry and ability to play more than 25 minutes.

12-91-21
86-51-84
27-29-18
17-53-15

2-55
37-14
46-6

I agree completely with this post, even if I am a bit unsure as to whether or not Donovan is a better option than Pulock in this situation. But if push comes to shove, I probably play Donovan too.

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
For the love of God please take kennedy out and put nelson back in for starts...

ON defense I would go with this if de hann is hurt (not that it matters, guy has been awful all series)

Leddy - Boychuck (Each should play 30 mins in game 6 and be out there every single time ovie is)
Strait - Pulock
Hickey - Reinhart (This guys is 6 4 and doesnt hit anyone, not a great skater, just don't see all the hype at all)

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

12-91-21
86-51-84
27-29-18
17-53-15

2-55
37-14
46-6

Donovan will get trucked and be a complete non factor. They need Carkner to protect the net in limited minutes since 2-55 is probably going to play 35 minutes Saturday.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

12-91-21
86-51-84
27-29-18
17-53-15

2-55
37-14
46-6

37-14 is a pairing I'm not in love with. Unfortunately we don't have many options. The defense was paper thin already when healthy.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
37-14 is a pairing I'm not in love with. Unfortunately we don't have many options. The defense was paper thin already when healthy.

37 and 14 may not be on the team next year. The fact that we are completely reliant on them now makes me sick to my stomach.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Kulemin-Grabovski-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Nelson

Boychuk-Leddy
Strait-Hickey
Reinhart/Pulock-Donovan

Shorten the bench. The bottom three forwards have been playing like crap this series (other than game 1), so limit their minutes. Maybe they can get a couple of opportunities with limited minutes, but you can't play them 15+ minutes and hope they suddenly get hot.

You're on home ice, which means last change. The top pair goes out against Ovechkin every single time.

Most important...stand up at the blueline. Don't let the Caps keep carrying in.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
There's not much any coach can do now that we're down Hamonic, Vis, and DeHaan. You swap Nelson for Kennedy and then you plug in your best defensive prospect. You tell them to win one for the gipper, and then you let them play.

Yepperdoodle.

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007
Carkner in, Donovan in, Boulton in, Kennedy out.

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Strome-Grabovski
Kulemin-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-Boulton

Hickey-Boychuk
Leddy-Strait
Donovan-Carkner

No matter what they do, though, I can’t see them getting out of this round. Self-inflicted wounds have hurt them; not the injuries, at least not at first. Keeping the two-goal, third-period lead in game 2 would have changed the whole series, as would scoring on one of the four or whatever straight power plays they got in game 4. Instead of being up 2 games to 0, or 3 games to 1, they let this team hang around, define the series with their style of play, and now the Isles are down in the series.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Carkner in, Donovan in, Boulton in, Kennedy out.

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Strome-Grabovski
Kulemin-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-Boulton

Hickey-Boychuk
Leddy-Strait
Donovan-Carkner

No matter what they do, though, I can’t see them getting out of this round. Self-inflicted wounds have hurt them; not the injuries, at least not at first. Keeping the two-goal, third-period lead in game 2 would have changed the whole series, as would scoring on one of the four or whatever straight power plays they got in game 4. Instead of being up 2 games to 0, or 3 games to 1, they let this team hang around, define the series with their style of play, and now the Isles are down in the series.

I like this. One suggested change would be to bring up Mike Halmo and insert him in Clutterbuck's spot on the 4th line. Halmo has Cal's snarl and hitting. While he has not shown the offensive ability at the NHL level, he has produced at the AHL level. When he played last season, he really showed some life.

Also, I think they are going to play Pulock over Donovan, but I could be wrong. If it is Donovan...next man up...let's see what you've got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad