You're The Coach: What Changes Do you Make For Game 6?

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
i think we have to split up boychuk and leddy....that way we have 2 average pairs and simply play our bottom pairing for 8-10 min

Hickey-Boychuk
Leddy-Strait
Donovan-Pulock

Doing this with forwards is more tolerable, but with defense its a lot about chemistry, trust and how the players compliment each other.

Boychuk and Leddy are stable, reliable and have been effective against the capitals top lines despite the minutes they have been logging. Splitting them up and breaking the chemistry and familiarity of the pair to "spread the wealth" I don't think is feasible. 1 stable pair is better than none.

I honestly believe Donovan should be in the line-up, but considering it seems both Griff and Pulock jumped him on the depth chart for game 5, I imagine both are in for game 6.

Also it should be of note Donovan does play the right side which is something I overlooked previously which means to me he would be the ideal candidate to take Viz's spot.

mutts

May 3, 2009
I think Cappy doesn't really have a choice. He has to play both Griff and Pullock.

Boychuk-Griff
leddy-strait
donovan-pulock

I also think he has to find a spot for Boulton. Boulton has not embarrassed himself in the last few games he's played.

Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
Kulemin - Neilsen - Grabovski
Boulton - Nelson - Strome
Martin- Cizikas - Clutterbuck

I might even send Boulton out with JT and Kyle an occaisional shift.

Obviously, it's all hands on deck. JT has to take a few extra shifts.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Doing this with forwards is more tolerable, but with defense its a lot about chemistry, trust and how the players compliment each other.

Boychuk and Leddy are stable, reliable and have been effective against the capitals top lines despite the minutes they have been logging. Splitting them up and breaking the chemistry and familiarity of the pair to "spread the wealth" I don't think is feasible. 1 stable pair is better than none.

I honestly believe Donovan should be in the line-up, but considering it seems both Griff and Pulock jumped him on the depth chart for game 5, I imagine both are in for game 6.

Also it should be of note Donovan does play the right side which is something I overlooked previously which means to me he would be the ideal candidate to take Viz's spot.

i understand and respect your points about them being a good pair...under normal circumstances, i would never split them up, but IMO tomorrow is about limiting being pinned in our zone for minutes at a time....having either boychuk or leddy on the ice for about 45 min tomorrow gives us the best chances of doing so..we can still have boychuk matched up against ovechkin while having leddy play 25-28 minutes himself....that should realistically allow our bottom pairing to play about 8 minutes

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Strait's an OK #7 dman, veteran presence that should be used for depth. He doesn't make many glaring mistakes but he's a liability more often than not.

I agree. He is not a great defensemen, but I can deal with him at a #5-7 D. He is best used playing 15-18 minutes a night, not 20-24 as he has been with the Islanders this season.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Strait is an AHL level d-man. No matter how often you poo poo CdH, Reinhart, Donovan, etc... it doesn't change the FACT that Strait sucks.

He is a stop gap so enjoy him playing while it lasts. I'm not so sure he's back next season so have fun rooting for him on whatever team he ends up on.

Keep going with your little one line quips though, you never disappoint in your agenda of defending your boy. Great beard though, lousy player.
He will be back next season along with you're other hated D-man, Hickey. As will this coaching staff. Book it!

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
i understand and respect your points about them being a good pair...under normal circumstances, i would never split them up, but IMO tomorrow is about limiting being pinned in our zone for minutes at a time....having either boychuk or leddy on the ice for about 45 min tomorrow gives us the best chances of doing so

I understand that too. And perhaps in the regular season with these injuries I would be more open to it. It is a valid point to have 1 of the 2 for 45 minutes, but how effective would they be for those 45 minutes? Tough to say if Leddy and Boychuk would elevate the games of the others or if they would bring down Leddy and Boychuk.

The sample size on them playing apart is small, but I'll ask my buddies Broadway Jay and Tavares2therescue here on the boards and see what they say from an advanced stats point of view of possession.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He will be back next season along with you're other hated D-man, Hickey. As will this coaching staff. Book it!

I already know that the coaching staff will be brought back, you get no argument from me. Hickey will likely be retained since he's still a RFA and he won't cost a fortune anyway. We still need a stop gap like him anyway as the kids are integrated into the NHL lineup.

As for Strait, last year of his deal and a pending UFA. He makes relative peanuts though so it's no big deal to waive him. A glut of young defenseman in the AHL knocking on the door. Doesn't look good for your boy. He might finish the season next year with the team in the best case scenario, but he's gone afterwards and you can BOOK THAT. My money is on him being put on waivers at some point, preferably before the season starts as he can be a great mentor to the kids in Bridgeport if he isn't claimed.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
He's still very young. Defensemen take time to develop at the NHL level. Yes, I do think he will be very good. No doubt he has struggled (which is why it will not be a huge loss if he's out for the rest of the series) but I hope they don't give up on him.

Strait's an OK #7 dman, veteran presence that should be used for depth. He doesn't make many glaring mistakes but he's a liability more often than not.

That goes for Reinhart too. He looked completely overwhelmed in his playoff debut however I did not expect to see Dave Langevin (Reinhart's upside in a few years). He is just not anywhere ready for this and he has been put in a position where he has not been prepared for or ready for. He is going to take his lumps just sucks that it's in the playoffs.

Most defensemen take a few years to develop usually 23-25 range with few exceptions (uber offensive talents typically).

But for tomorrow? I want to see Pulock who may be our best choice at this point from pretty slim pickings. Let's see what he has.

Again, this is why I would have gotten Reinhart in for 4-5 games at the end of the year to get his feet wet a bit with NHL speed in April. Same can be said for Pulok, Mayfield or Pelech. Should have at least two of them up and in on sheltered, bottom pairings. Could see these injuries a mile away don't know how Islander management didn't.

Last edited:

peter021

Apr 2, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
If I'm rolling the dice with either Carkner or Pulock, I'll roll with Pulock every time.

There's no hiding the fact the D is decimated so trying to plug a big body in there isn't really going to help. Carkner's not going to help when the Caps are cycling bodies down low, so I put his lack of mobility and Pulock's inexperience as a wash in the defensive zone. Pulock has more potential to be a game-changer. This team needs an offensive spark and he's the only d-man they have not currently in the lineup that could provide it.

Up front, I don't know what to do. I liked the look of last night lines on paper, but we saw how that worked. Get Kennedy off the ice. I wouldn't be opposed to Boulton coming in, just because the 4th line has been so effective and I don't want Martin dropping the gloves or risking a 10-minute misconduct on Wilson since he's really the only other option to drop the gloves.

I don't like that the Isles' style of play - fast, puck possession game - doesn't seem to exist in these playoffs, but that's where we are. I don't think they're done, but the top 9 really need to pick up the slack for the ravaged defense.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I already know that the coaching staff will be brought back, you get no argument from me. Hickey will likely be retained since he's still a RFA and he won't cost a fortune anyway. We still need a stop gap like him anyway as the kids are integrated into the NHL lineup.

As for Strait, last year of his deal and a pending UFA. He makes relative peanuts though so it's no big deal to waive him. A glut of young defenseman in the AHL knocking on the door. Doesn't look good for your boy. He might finish the season next year with the team in the best case scenario, but he's gone afterwards and you can BOOK THAT. My money is on him being put on waivers at some point, preferably before the season starts as he can be a great mentor to the kids in Bridgeport if he isn't claimed.

Strait has another year before he's UFA so he'll be hanging around next year. Hopefully he'll be relegated to a #8/#9 role which is where he belongs. If Mayfield / Reinhart / Pulock develop reasonably next year I expect him to be gone after that.

hckytim715

Nov 3, 2014
Bailey-JT-Strome
Nelson-Grabovski-Okposo
Kulemin-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
MM-Casey-Boulton

Kyle and JT need to step up and have their two best games of the season if we want to advance. Both have turned it on at times in this series and we really need some truely special performances from them to move on with our depleted D right now. We need some more physical presence but I take Lee out for Boulton because they are both slow and Boulton at least brings more physically and Lee has shown nothing offensively. Cal has shown he can play on the third line. Overall I would keep the shifts very short all game and try to skate the Caps into the ground and cycle and use our speed advantage against them.

Leddy-Boychuk
Strait-Donovan
Hickey-Pulock

This is assuming De Haan is hurt, if he's in then i play him for Donovan. I put Pulock on the first power play unit every chance I got and hope he can find a shooting lane and put one in the back of the net. I play Leddy and Boychuk around 30 minutes each and rotate one of them on the first power play unit. We need them to be at their best defensively. I would match them up against the first line every single chance they are on the ice and play the bottom two pairings around 15-17 minutes each.

peter021

Apr 2, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
Bailey-JT-Strome
Nelson-Grabovski-Okposo
MM-Casey-Boulton

Kyle and JT need to step up and have their two best games of the season if we want to advance. Both have turned it on at times in this series and we really need some truely special performances from them to move on with our depleted D right now. We need some more physical presence but I take Lee out for Boulton because they are both slow and Boulton at least brings more physically and Lee has shown nothing offensively. Cal has shown he can play on the third line. Overall I would keep the shifts very short all game and try to skate the Caps into the ground and cycle and use our speed advantage against them.

I really like what Lee has done this season, but I'd be on board for that switch. He just hasn't found his game this series.

And yes on skating the Caps into the ground. I was disappointed that they tried to play big last night because it's not their game. Yes, be more physical in the playoffs, but trying to outmuscle a bigger team is playing into that team's hands.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Interesting assessment. But Reinhart looked terrible last night. I focused solely on him during a few of his shifts and he looked absolutely lost. It was pretty embarrassing. The D is the #1 reason why they are trailing in the series.

Boychuk, Leddy and Hickey have been excellent. DeHaan has looked scared and intimidated at times but has played ok. Strait has been better than expected but he's not a top minute guy if you want to win playoff games.

And although Reinhart didn't look great at times, I thought he gained more confidence as the game went on and he's still a better choice over Mayfield and Donovan.

Isles can't play the heavy game. They are a small and fast team. That's how they score and win. If they want to play heavy then they have the wrong roster.

Besides Boychuk and the 4th line, maybe Kuly, they are out of their depth. When they dictate the play (like games 1 and most of 2) they can dominate the Caps. That's their only chance to beat the Caps two more in a row. And I think they can!

Last edited:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Boychuk, Leddy and Hickey have been excellent. DeHaan has looked scared and intimidated at times but has played ok. strait has been better than expected but he's not a top minute guy if you want to win playoff games.

And although Reinhart didn't look great at times, I thought he gained more confidence as the game went on and he's still a better voice over Mayfield and Donovan.

Isles can't play the heavy game. They are a small and fast team. That's how they score and win. If they want to play heavy then hey have the wrong roster.

Besides Boychuk and the 4th line, maybe Kuly, they are out of their depth. When they dictate the play (like games 1 and most of 2) they can dominate the Caps. That's their only have to beat the Caps
Finally a fan who actually knows the real game of hockey, not fantasy hockey. The only thing I don't agree on is Reinhart over Donovan for game 6. I just didn't see anything in his game that convinced me he was ready and I don't think that one game will get him ready.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Carkner in, Donovan in, Boulton in, Kennedy out.

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Strome-Grabovski
Martin-Cizikas-Boulton

Hickey-Boychuk
Leddy-Strait
Donovan-Carkner

No matter what they do, though, I can’t see them getting out of this round. Self-inflicted wounds have hurt them; not the injuries, at least not at first. Keeping the two-goal, third-period lead in game 2 would have changed the whole series, as would scoring on one of the four or whatever straight power plays they got in game 4. Instead of being up 2 games to 0, or 3 games to 1, they let this team hang around, define the series with their style of play, and now the Isles are down in the series.

This... man up!

but I'd put Pulock in place of Donovan. Let the supposedly super skilled guy play with someone just looking for an excuse to knock someone out on a big stage and earn another NHL contract from the Flyers, Caps, or Jackets.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I don't know what the love affair with Carkner is. Donovan might get hit, you're right but who on the Isles hasn't been hit?

If the Isles "bulk up" by playing Carkner, Boulton or Halmo or any combination its a recipe for disaster. All you're doing is changing the entire team identity to play the Capitals game. We can't play the way the Caps play and trying to do so going to cost us game 6.

We tried to be physical, Lee stepped up to a fight, Cizikas, Martin and Clutter were slashing and spearing all night in game 5 and what did that get us? This team succeeds when they impose their will of speed, cycling and forcing the opponent to play defense for the majority of the game.

Carkner brings nothing to the table to the Islander identify or scheme. He is not fast or mobile, no offensive instincts and doesn't do a great job of preventing zone entries or neutral zone plays. The idea of "Clearing the crease" is silly because when the Islanders are successful, they should never have to. Putting in Carkner admits we can't score and will hope to weather a game 1-0. Does anyone honestly trust Carkner to play defense against any of the Capitals forwards in a 1 goal game?

I'll take my chances with the mobile puck movers of Donvan and Pulock.

Agree about changing the team identity and that would be the wrong call if the team was in tact. It's not and we can't play the style that got us here even if we wanted to after the way our D has been cracked like a pinata.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Agree about changing the team identity and that would be the wrong call if the team was in tact. It's not and we can't play the style that got us here even if we wanted to after the way our D has been cracked like a pinata.

See I don't believe it is. The forward corp is pretty damn healthy. Now some guys are probably banged up and not playing well, but 12 of the 18 skaters each night are what got us here.

Yes the defense is a mess, losing your #3, #4 and #5 defensemen is a crushing blow for any team, but inserting a defensemen who is just a big body is not going to help when you're pinned in the zone. Maybe he can clear the crease, that's fine but there will still be rebounds and more shot attempts because there won't be puck retrieval.

Of our options, Pulock and Donovan might be the best shots. I would be okay with Griff playing as well because I think either of these 3 are at this present time better NHL defensemen than Matt Carkner and give the Isles the best chance to win.

Camille the Eel

What was the story on scratching Nelson last night? He was missed and the shake up of the lines was obviously not something that worked out.

Since game one Strome, Nelson, Nielson, Lee, Kulemein - all the secondary guys after Tavares and Okposo - have been disappearing from the box score. Unless the Isles get scoring from these five and or something from Boychuck and Leddy, it's hard to see how they stick with Washington much longer.

Put Okposo on Backstrom, shift in, shift out, I think. Backstrom is the guy who must be neutralized.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'd roll the dice with Pulock as well. He could help the PP which has been a huge problem, and I suspect he may have the physical strength and confidence to step up and play sheltered/limited 5 on 5 minutes and then PP.

JT's best work this series has been along the wall and cycling. There was one shift this series on a line change where for a brief time it was:

Kulemin - JT - Clutterbuck

Granted it was 30 seconds, but they kept sustained cycling pressure on the Caps. So my other "nuclear" option would be to put that line together. The 4th line would be:

Boulton - Cizikas - Martin.

Dress the best middle 6 based on health so long as Kennedy is sitting in the press box. Get the puck deep early and often and pound the Caps d-men for a change and maybe they'll be tired by the 3rd period.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
staples tweet insinuated that we may see pulock and donovan in for reinhart (and injured cdh)

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
There is nothing that can be done at this point...

All the issues that are plaguing this team in this series should have been resolved during the regular season...

As predicted by many, Cappy ****ed up again...

But for the sake of this conversation, i would ask Cappy what he would do, and do the exact opposite...

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Grabovski-Tavares-Kulemin
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Lee-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Hickey-Boychuk
Leddy-Pulock
Strait-Donovan

Give Leddy and Boychuk a few extra shifts together. Obviously our success relies upon them.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Martin - Tavares - Strome (I think Martin can help keeping zone time for JT and Strome)
Okposo - Grabovski - Lee (This line has 2 legit scorers in Okposo and Lee, Grabo can set them up)
Bailey - Nielsen - Kulemin (This is basically a defensive line. Kulemin and Nielsen kill penalties, Bailey is solid defensively. They should go against the Caps #1 line and know there responsibility DEFENSE!)
Clutterbuck - Cizikas - Boulton (This line just hits everyone)

Boychuk - Hickey Because of the lack in defensive depth, no Hamonic or Viz, I think Leddy and Boychuk need to be spit up to help create more balanced defensive corps.
Leddy - Pulock (I hope Leddy's speed can cover any issues Pulock may have)
Strait - CDH

I'm not really comfortable with Pulock, Reinhart or Donovan. Reinhart looked awful, Donovan doesn't bring much to the table, so Pulock wins by default.

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
Martin - Tavares - Strome (I think Martin can help keeping zone time for JT and Strome)
Okposo - Grabovski - Lee (This line has 2 legit scorers in Okposo and Lee, Grabo can set them up)
Bailey - Nielsen - Kulemin (This is basically a defensive line. Kulemin and Nielsen kill penalties, Bailey is solid defensively. They should go against the Caps #1 line and know there responsibility DEFENSE!)
Clutterbuck - Cizikas - Boulton (This line just hits everyone)

Boychuk - Hickey Because of the lack in defensive depth, no Hamonic or Viz, I think Leddy and Boychuk need to be spit up to help create more balanced defensive corps.
Leddy - Pulock (I hope Leddy's speed can cover any issues Pulock may have)
Strait - CDH

I'm not really comfortable with Pulock, Reinhart or Donovan. Reinhart looked awful, Donovan doesn't bring much to the table, so Pulock wins by default.

On the road in a game 7 with how thin we are i agree and think its a no brainer to split up leddy and Boychuck at this point. At home though I would keep them together for game 6, we have the last change so everytime ovie is on the ice so are they.

In washington if we somehow won game 6, washington would have the last change in a game 7. With how weak our back 3-4 are now with injuries i think you HAVE TO split them up, but we know cappy won't guys a moron.

Also, I would sit Reinhart more i think of it, he looked scared out there, is slow as hell and barely threw a check. If hes not going to play physical no point in playing him, I would 100% scratch him.

Game 6 D:

Leddy - Boychuck (out there every time ovie is)
Strait - Donovan
Hickey - Pulock

Game 7 (if we somehow won game 6 with this defense):

Boychuck - Hickey
Leddy - Pulock
Strait - Donovaan

Thats how I would handle a game 6 and 7 on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad