Value of: Your Top 4 D to the Jets

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
It’s not depth that we should worry about. It’s about having a quality d-man that can eat minutes.
I firmly believe Heinola can displace Forbort (now) and Samberg, on the 3rd pair can provide quality minutes in those spots if Maurice lets them. (He understandably likes some size on D)
With Vincent's & Dubois' tutelage in the AHL, they should be NHL-ready by the playoffs if not sooner!

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not including Oilers, Habs or Leafs b/c they all appear to be playoff contenders. Also rather not have to look at American teams due to COVID restrictions in Canada.

Love to see what possible upgrades to the Jets top 4 D might be able from Flames, Sens or Nucks.....all who appear to be none playoff teams or at least dark horses at this point and might be thinking of selling off some assets (no offence meant to those fans).

Jets have lots of bottom pairing guys, so no help needed there. Jets also have Josh & Pionk who are solid top 4 guys. But the issue is the Jets have multi bottom pairing guys who switch in and out of top 4 roles and shouldn't be there ideally (Forbort, DeMelo.......two guys who likely are better suited as #5D and then multi clear bottom pairing guys like Beau, Stanley, Poolman, Niku who should always play bottom pairing barring injury call ups).

So don't offer any bottom pairing guys, Jets don't need more. I doubt anyone offers a young top 4 guy, bc all teams want them. So it's likely going to end up being UFA rentals or older guys with 1.5 years term left I'm guessing (which is reflected in the pieces available):

Available pieces might include:

- 1st Rd pick (or lower picks)
- We have multi B level forward prospects (centres and wingers)
- Copp/Appleton, both play key roles on the Jets so would be hard to give them up.
- I doubt Samberg is available (I could only see him in a trade for a younger player), I know Heinola isn't available for any older D players. Heinola will very likely be in the Jets top 4 next year, yes he's that good. Cole P wouldn't be available either for any older D player.
Personally... I’m moving Heinola long before I consider moving Samberg, but I’m not moving either for a Dumba, Ekholm, or Savard.
I don’t want Ekholm, as our biggest need is RHD, not LHD....(Lebrun is an idiot)
I’d take Dumba, but would heavily depend on cost
Savard isn’t really much of an upgrade on what we have, but for the right price I’d do it.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I firmly believe Heinola can displace Forbort (now) and Samberg, on the 3rd pair can provide quality minutes in those spots if Maurice lets them. (He understandably likes some size on D)
With Vincent's & Dubois' tutelage in the AHL, they should be NHL-ready by the playoffs if not sooner!

That could eventually be the plan to being in Heinola near the playoffs.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Personally... I’m moving Heinola long before I consider moving Samberg.

Depends on what we get back. If it’s a Pulock type, I move Samberg, if it’s a Reilly type (edit, I know, lefty), Heinola.
We need an agile, puck moving, minute eating D man who hits like a truck who can PK and can run a PP while breaking the other teams cycle. We probably aren’t getting all of that in one ala Hedman.
If we could sweet talk the Isles into parting with Pulock (for example), they would probably want Samberg back to pair with Dobson as he would fit Dobson’s game well. Much like if we got Petry (again, for example) they would want Heinola because he would pair well with Weber (no way would I do that trade btw, just an example)
Losing either one means nothing much to me so long as we get a T2 RD back with decent term that makes us better. I shouldn’t type these while smoking...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Personally... I’m moving Heinola long before I consider moving Samberg, but I’m not moving either for a Dumba, Ekholm, or Savard.
I don’t want Ekholm, as our biggest need is RHD, not LHD....(Lebrun is an idiot)
I’d take Dumba, but would heavily depend on cost
Savard isn’t really much of an upgrade on what we have, but for the right price I’d do it.

Two 1st round picks, after the season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would add to Samberg to get Carlo..although what I am not sure of. Ehlers a complete non starter.
Samberg looks like he'll be as good as Carlo, and perhaps better. He's a LHD, but has played quite a bit at RD. Carlo needs to be protected in the expansion draft, meaning the Jets would lose another good D (likely DeMelo). I'm not trading Samberg for Carlo, all things considered.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
How about Calvin de Haan from Chicago?

He's a very reliable 4/5, physical enough blocks a ton of shots. Not the best start to the season but since then he's picked up his play, very good defensively and on ok, offers safety for young partners. Last year in the bubble he played as a 2/3 D easily.

We can still use him but also would benefit from opening up a spot for the bunch of young guys we have on the backend.

De Haan for Perrault + 2nd?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
How about Calvin de Haan from Chicago?

He's a very reliable 4/5, physical enough blocks a ton of shots. Not the best start to the season but since then he's picked up his play, very good defensively and on ok, offers safety for young partners. Last year in the bubble he played as a 2/3 D easily.

We can still use him but also would benefit from opening up a spot for the bunch of young guys we have on the backend.

De Haan for Perrault + 2nd?
Not at that price. A mid round pick at the most, but I doubt the Jets would be interested in De Haan due to the extra year he has on a really bad contract.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
What about Pettersson from the Penguins? Looks like he might be expendable with POJ on the up and coming, and the way Matheson has been working out.

wouldn’t cost that much either and he’s pretty solid. Something to solidify the bottom 6, a pick or a prospect, even Perrault would work to offset some salary.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Not at that price. A mid round pick at the most, but I doubt the Jets would be interested in De Haan due to the extra year he has on a really bad contract.

Oh I thought Perrault was still considered a cap dump and overpaid 4th liner, but I see you guys say he's turned it around this year.

I don't care for Perrault, only wanted the pick. I'm not sure out FO would trade out de Haan for a 3rd only though. Maybe in the off-season but not mid season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00